Generator Question;

Old August 8th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

Default Generator Question;

why the small wire from the generator body over to the ground on the
regulator? I've got a K.G. running w/o it.
It must be grounded. NO?
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.
Old August 8th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

A Veteran wrote:

> why the small wire from the generator body over to the ground on the
> regulator? I've got a K.G. running w/o it.
> It must be grounded. NO?

As long as the regulator frame is solidly grounded, the wire
doesn't do anything.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old August 9th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article >,
Speedy Jim > wrote:

> A Veteran wrote:
>
> > why the small wire from the generator body over to the ground on the
> > regulator? I've got a K.G. running w/o it.
> > It must be grounded. NO?

> As long as the regulator frame is solidly grounded, the wire
> doesn't do anything.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Why, thanks, Speedy, that reply was.
How's the healing doing ?
The group missed you.
BTW.
I found a trick to install the brush springs on the generator.
How do you get that nasty job done?
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.
Old August 9th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

A Veteran wrote:
> In article >,
> Speedy Jim > wrote:
>

>>A Veteran wrote:
>>

>>>why the small wire from the generator body over to the ground on the
>>>regulator? I've got a K.G. running w/o it.
>>>It must be grounded. NO?

>>As long as the regulator frame is solidly grounded, the wire
>>doesn't do anything.
>>
>>Speedy Jim
>>http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> Why, thanks, Speedy, that reply was.
> How's the healing doing ?
> The group missed you.
> BTW.
> I found a trick to install the brush springs on the generator.
> How do you get that nasty job done?

Take some pics and a brief write-up of how you did it.
We should share that info around./.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old August 10th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

On Aug 8, 2:01 pm, A Veteran > wrote:
> why the small wire from the generator body over to the ground on the
> regulator?

It is for the 'sense wire,' a direct path between the dynamo and
BATTERY GROUND. In some vehicles the resistance of the ground path
can be high enough to cause the charging light to always be on, very
dimly in most cases but a source of worry. Adding the sense wire
reduces the resistance of the ground return path, causing the
regulator to respond more correctly... and turning off that dim red
glow :-)

-Bob Hoover
Old August 10th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Adney

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:01:00 -0700 A Veteran
> wrote:

>why the small wire from the generator body over to the ground on the
>regulator? I've got a K.G. running w/o it.
>It must be grounded. NO?

Starting in '69, VW added ground wires for almost everything,
including a wire to connect the generator ground to the VR ground.
This assures that the VR senses the full, correct generator output
voltage and regulates accurately.

Earlier cars generally did fine without that wire, but voltage drops
in the ground connections between the generator and the VR could cause
problems. The ground wire here was a bit of a "belt & suspenders"
approach.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old August 10th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A VFW

In article >,
Speedy Jim > wrote:

> A Veteran wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Speedy Jim > wrote:

> >>As long as the regulator frame is solidly grounded, the wire
> >>doesn't do anything.
> >>
> >>Speedy Jim
> >>http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> > Why, thanks, Speedy, that reply was.
> > How's the healing doing ?
> > The group missed you.
> > BTW.
> > I found a trick to install the brush springs on the generator.
> > How do you get that nasty job done?

> Take some pics and a brief write-up of how you did it.
> We should share that info around./.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

I know a picture is worth a thousand words but I haven't learned the
"new" camera yet.
It all started when the "red"light came on. sound familiar?
so, I figure I can get that brush in w/o too much trouble. but alas
the spring sprung ! the good news is I found it. but getting it back in
proved to be difficult.
So, I moved the generator to the bench where it still proved difficult.
What I did was fashion a rod ground into a "D" shaped tip that got bent
90 degrees. tensioned the spring and wiggled it off the tip onto the
flattened post in the generator. best done w/o the brush in there.
I did polarize it all and voila. it works.
I did tell a co-worker, I just put tape over the "glowing" gen. lite.
Joke !
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.
Old August 11th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
JeffDeWitt

Very shortly after I got my Bug I pulled the back seat cushion up to
see what was under there. When I put it back one of the seat belt
buckles fell under there and shorted on the VR.

I snatched it away pretty quickly and everything seemed OK. Months
later I'm cleaning the air cleaner and generally looking around and I
notice a ground wire on the generator.... and it looked like it had
gotten REALLY hot.

So I checked to see where it went and of course it went to the VR.
Apparantly the seat belt buckle had shorted to that wire. Everything
is working fine but one of these weekends I'll be replacing that wire.

Old August 13th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A VFW

In article
JeffDeWitt > wrote:

> Very shortly after I got my Bug I pulled the back seat cushion up to
> see what was under there. When I put it back one of the seat belt
> buckles fell under there and shorted on the VR.
>
> I snatched it away pretty quickly and everything seemed OK. Months
> later I'm cleaning the air cleaner and generally looking around and I
> notice a ground wire on the generator.... and it looked like it had
> gotten REALLY hot.
>
> So I checked to see where it went and of course it went to the VR.
> Apparantly the seat belt buckle had shorted to that wire. Everything
> is working fine but one of these weekends I'll be replacing that wire.

when I had a beetle and found the VR under the seat , I covered all the
connections with duct tape.
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.

generator q. A Veteran VW air cooled 4 July 3rd 07 08:38 AM
Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!) jj Technology 3 October 1st 06 04:07 PM
1971 Westy 1600 Bosh generator - Dual Battery Question Roger VW air cooled 4 March 9th 06 06:13 PM
generator / regulator question t VW air cooled 4 May 14th 05 04:43 AM
Battery durability/generator question Braukuche VW air cooled 5 November 23rd 04 05:36 PM