10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

Old July 31st 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Al Adams

Default 10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

>the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on

91 octane regular gas<

The label on my '68 VW Type 1's gas filler flap specifies 91 RON. Typically,
the conversion from 91 RON to US octane is 87.

Al Adams

Old July 31st 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Stafford

Alcohol requires more fuel-to-air than gasoline therefore mileage tends to
suffer. Dual-fuel systems use computer controlled fuel injectors therefore
they do not require different jets. Carbureted engines do better with
rejetting.

However, in my modest experience so many ACVWs are out of tune so it's hard
to tell when mileage suffers from A10; it's just plain lousy anyway.

Old July 31st 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Dennis" > wrote in message
> I stand by all I said.
>You did get me to check some of my older books( these books are older
>than your driving experience and back when gasoline had some octane to
>begin with). For example the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on
>91 octane regular gas. If you timed with lower, cheaper gas with
>lower octane you should retard the timing to compensate or you could
>risk pinging under full throltle and or the engine running hotter than
>it should. Yes, hotter with to much advance on lower octane, cooler
>with higher octane. Not my opinion, just the facts. Dennis

you are entirely correct Dennis... it is "fact" that the 1968 vw did call
for 91 octane fuel.. i can snap a picture of the inside of my 1968 type 1's
fuel filler flap for you... and then i can highlight where it specifies 91
RON rating... which is usually 4 points higher than the fuel rating we use
here in the good ole USA(" (R+M)/2 " )...
just do a google search on " Octane Rating " you will find what i said above
is not just my opinion, it is true... so fill'r'up with 87 (R+M)/2 (US
rating system) octane and time is spot on to what the manual says and you
and your vw will be very happy....

for comparison i have a 1641 engine in my bug... it is built with a cam that
is slightly more agressive than a stock cam(cb cheater cam) and has a static
compression of 8.5:1... higher than anything vw ever set our cars at...it
ran beautifully on regular (87) fuel.... i added a turbo charger and can do
17PSI of boost on premium(93) without detonation... i think the stock bug
will be great with 87 octane fuel that it was intended to use..<G>

Old July 31st 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I am going to have to side with John C. at http://aircooled.net and
Rob ‘aussiebug’ and Dave at http://vw-resource.com .

Here are two more links:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200891080108

Solex, Brosol, Bocar and Kadron Main Jets
Part #: FSK0043
Price: $ 7.00 Due to oxygenated fuel, bumping your main jet size up a
little will make your car run better AND cooler. We recommend 130 the
34-3, and Kadron applications, even though Kadrons have 135s when new.
You need 1 main jet per carburetor.

------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol...nd_controversy

Fuel system problems
Several of the outstanding ethanol fuel issues are linked specifically
to fuel systems. Fuels with more than 10% ethanol are not compatible
with non E85-ready fuel system components and may cause corrosion of
ferrous components.[126][127] Ethanol fuel can negatively affect
electric fuel pumps by increasing internal wear,[127] cause
undesirable spark generation,[128] and is not compatible with
capacitance fuel level gauging indicators and may cause erroneous fuel
quantity indications in vehicles that employ that system.[129] It is
also not always compatible with marine craft, especially those that
use fiberglass fuel tanks.[130][131]
Using 100% ethanol fuel decreases fuel-economy by 15-30% over using
100% gasoline; this can be avoided using certain modifications that
would, however, render the engine inoperable on regular petrol without
the addition of an adjustable ECU.[132] Tough materials are needed to
accommodate a higher compression ratio to make an ethanol engine as
efficient as it would be on petrol; these would be similar to those
used in diesel engines which typically run at a CR of 20:1,[133]
versus about 8-12:1 for petrol engines.[134]

In April 2008 the German environmental minister cancelled a proposed
10% ethanol fuel scheme citing technical problems: too many older cars
in Germany are unequipped to handle this fuel. Ethanol levels in fuel
will remain at 5%.[135]

------------------

Old July 31st 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Dennis wrote:
> On Jul 30, 9:09 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>> "Dennis" > wrote in message

>> >Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've

>>> never heard so much crap in one posting at one time. E10 is slightly
>>> higher octane and sold as "super" in iowa and unleaded is the regular
>>> blend at 87 octane while the E10 is 89. The engines run better, not
>>> worse as they were designed to run on fuels with higher numbers. The
>>> alcohol blends run cooler. You do not need larger jets.

>> LOL.... "crap" because one guy thinks it.... sweet...
>>
>> anyway, over the 20 years or so i've been driving we are subjected to 10%
>> ethanol at regular intervals...usually as the prices go up... and yes, it
>> always made a difference... we don't just get it in our super or supreme we
>> get it across the board...
>>
>> (FYI the engines were designed to run on lower octane fuels, not higher)

> No friend, higher. I don't know much about a lot of stuff so I
> usually end my postings with the quote that "this is just my opinion
> of course". I did not do this on my last posting because I do know
> about octane ratings, alcohol, and gasolines. I stand by all I said.
> You did get me to check some of my older books( these books are older
> than your driving experience and back when gasoline had some octane to
> begin with). For example the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on
> 91 octane regular gas. If you timed with lower, cheaper gas with
> lower octane you should retard the timing to compensate or you could
> risk pinging under full throltle and or the engine running hotter than
> it should. Yes, hotter with to much advance on lower octane, cooler
> with higher octane. Not my opinion, just the facts. Dennis

Are you aware that how they rate octane has changed over the years?

Les
Old August 1st 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Jul 31, 5:55*pm, Project Magnet #1 >
wrote:
> Dennis wrote:
> > On Jul 30, 9:09 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> >> "Dennis" > wrote in message

> >> *>Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've

> >> LOL.... "crap" because one guy thinks it.... sweet...

> >> anyway, over the 20 years or so i've been driving we are subjected to 10%
> >> ethanol at regular intervals...usually as the prices go up... and yes, it
> >> always made a difference... we don't just get it in our super or supreme we
> >> get it across the board...

> >> (FYI the engines were designed to run on lower octane fuels, not higher)

> > No friend, higher. *I don't know much about a lot of stuff so I
> > usually end my postings with the quote that "this is just my opinion
> > of course". *I did not do this on my last posting because I do know
> > about octane ratings, alcohol, and gasolines. *I stand by all I said.
> > You did get me to check some of my older books( these books are older
> > than your driving experience and back when gasoline had some octane to
> > begin with). *For example the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on
> > 91 octane regular gas. *If you timed with lower, cheaper gas with
> > lower octane you should retard the timing to compensate or you could
> > risk pinging under full throltle and or the engine running hotter than
> > it should. *Yes, hotter with to much advance on lower octane, cooler
> > with higher octane. *Not my opinion, just the facts. *Dennis

> Are you aware that how they rate octane has changed over the years?
>
> Les- Hide quoted text -

Ok, I give up.... I will not give up on the little bits of first hand
knowledge I have like the blends I've made in my garage with E85 and
regular gas and how it runs. In the past two years I have driven over
60,000 miles on E85 and almost that much on E10 and the various
blends. I will continue with what I know and what I learn. In 1963 I
got my drivers lic. and took the test in my 57' oval and I've never
lost my love for my vw's and cars in general. I will not bother you
guys again since you seem to have much more knowledge and experience
that I could ever absorb. Have a great time and thanks for the laughs
and knowledge shared. Even though I have no plans to post here again,
I do respect your opinions and what you have read. Dennis
Old August 1st 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Dennis" > wrote in message
>Ok, I give up.... I will not give up on the little bits of first hand
>knowledge I have like the blends I've made in my garage with E85 and
>regular gas and how it runs. In the past two years I have driven over
>60,000 miles on E85 and almost that much on E10 and the various
>blends. I will continue with what I know and what I learn. In 1963 I
>got my drivers lic. and took the test in my 57' oval and I've never
>lost my love for my vw's and cars in general. I will not bother you
>guys again since you seem to have much more knowledge and experience
>that I could ever absorb. Have a great time and thanks for the laughs
>and knowledge shared. Even though I have no plans to post here again,
>I do respect your opinions and what you have read. Dennis

that's just plain ole sad, Dennis... no one discounts your "experiences", as
we can't tell you what you experienced..... but that is exactly what you
implied in your post to me, that my experience was wrong... we only stated
that your information was incorrect... as a matter of fact, your "facts"
were not wrong, but your interpretation of them was... I assume it was just
because you didn't realize the octane rating...

now... personally i think the "i'm mad, so i'll take my ball and go home"
routine is overly done and a real bitch move... but that is up to you...
you've been here at RAMVA for years, to tuck your tale and run because you
were questioned over a little misinformation is bull****... but have at
it...

Old August 1st 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> now... personally i think the "i'm mad, so i'll take my ball and go home"
> routine is overly done and a real bitch move... but that is up to you...
> you've been here at RAMVA for years, to tuck your tale and run because you
> were questioned over a little misinformation is bull****... but have at
> it...

It's turn your TAIL and run.

It never ceases to amaze me how you can come across as a dickhead 100%
of the time. Congrats. I owe you a beer for such an astounding
accomplishment.

Chris
Old August 1st 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

Old August 1st 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:15:06 +0200, Dennis > wrote:

> On Jul 30, 9:09*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>> "Dennis" > wrote in message

>> *>Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've
>>
>> >never heard so much crap in one posting at one time. *E10 is slightly
>> >higher octane and sold as "super" in iowa and unleaded is the regular
>> >blend at 87 octane while the E10 is 89. *The engines run better, not
>> >worse as they were designed to run on fuels with higher numbers. * The
>> >alcohol blends run cooler. *You do not need larger jets.

>> LOL.... "crap" because one guy thinks it.... sweet...
>>
>> anyway, over the 20 years or so i've been driving we are subjected to
>> 10%
>> ethanol at regular intervals...usually as the prices go up... and yes,
>> it
>> always made a difference... we don't just get it in our super or
>> supreme we
>> get it across the board...
>>
>> (FYI the engines were designed to run on lower octane fuels, not higher)

> No friend, higher. I don't know much about a lot of stuff so I
> usually end my postings with the quote that "this is just my opinion
> of course". I did not do this on my last posting because I do know
> about octane ratings, alcohol, and gasolines. I stand by all I said.
> You did get me to check some of my older books( these books are older
> than your driving experience and back when gasoline had some octane to
> begin with). For example the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on
> 91 octane regular gas.

That would be 91 Octane measured the way you do in the U.S. If I am not
wrong it would be MON?(Measured Octane Number?)
In Germany and the rest of Europe the Measure RON is used. And early
air-cooled VW's have always been able to run 87 RON(Research Octane
Number).

J.