Need security advice for vulnerable Audi

Old March 22nd 05, 10:02 AM
Don Turner

Default Need security advice for vulnerable Audi

Guys,

My house was burgled and unfortunately one of the things the thieves took
was the spare remote for my 2001 Audi A3 tdi sports. I was away with the car
at the time so luckily they didn't get to steal that as well. But the
problem is that my car is now a sitting duck as someone, somewhere has the
only other remaining key.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???

Cheers
Don

Old March 22nd 05, 11:11 AM
Mike G

"Don Turner" > wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> My house was burgled and unfortunately one of the things the thieves took
> was the spare remote for my 2001 Audi A3 tdi sports. I was away with the

car
> at the time so luckily they didn't get to steal that as well. But the
> problem is that my car is now a sitting duck as someone, somewhere has the
> only other remaining key.
>
> Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???

Maybe the OE one can be reprogrammed.
In the meantime have an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser fitted, with new
locks. and disable the OE one.
Mike.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:43 AM
gazzafield

"Don Turner" > wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> My house was burgled and unfortunately one of the things the thieves took
> was the spare remote for my 2001 Audi A3 tdi sports. I was away with the
> car at the time so luckily they didn't get to steal that as well. But the
> problem is that my car is now a sitting duck as someone, somewhere has the
> only other remaining key.
>
> Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???

Sell it quickly?

Old March 22nd 05, 11:59 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Don Turner wrote:

>Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???

Yep, change the locks. I've thought about advising to change the
programming only but then they could still get into your car.

If your house was insured, maybe you can get them to pay for the locks
change of the car as well, because it was a consequential damage?

Maybe just worth a try.

Regards

Wolfgang
Old March 22nd 05, 01:24 PM
Steve Walker

In message >, Wolfgang
Pawlinetz > writes
>Don Turner wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???

>Yep, change the locks. I've thought about advising to change the
>programming only but then they could still get into your car.

As a first step, it should be possible to reprogram the remote so that
the stolen one is no longer valid. I know that my car needs both a key
and a valid remote to start the engine. I don't know about the A3, and
as you say they would still be able to enter the car. I'd go and ask an
Audi dealer.

--
Steve Walker
Old March 22nd 05, 01:51 PM
Peat

Don Turner wrote:
> Guys,
>
> My house was burgled and unfortunately one of the things the thieves took
> was the spare remote for my 2001 Audi A3 tdi sports. I was away with the car
> at the time so luckily they didn't get to steal that as well. But the
> problem is that my car is now a sitting duck as someone, somewhere has the
> only other remaining key.
>
> Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???
>
> Cheers
> Don

If you can get access to AUTODATA 2004 it will tell you how to reprogram
your remaining key.

Alternatively go to your local Audi dealer and explain the situation and
I am sure they will reprogram the key for you. It only takes a couple of
minutes.

HTH
Old March 22nd 05, 08:46 PM
Steph

"Peat" > wrote in message
> Don Turner wrote:

Try a visual deterrent aswell like a steering wheel lock. Chances are they
were opportunistic, but they may know somebody....

Old March 22nd 05, 09:22 PM
Chris Bartram

Steve Walker wrote:
> In message >, Wolfgang
> Pawlinetz > writes
>
>> Don Turner wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the
>>> locks???

>> Yep, change the locks. I've thought about advising to change the
>> programming only but then they could still get into your car.

> As a first step, it should be possible to reprogram the remote so that
> the stolen one is no longer valid. I know that my car needs both a key
> and a valid remote to start the engine. I don't know about the A3, and
> as you say they would still be able to enter the car. I'd go and ask an
> Audi dealer.

That#s the same for an A3. If you visit the dealer, they can de-program
the old key, and then it won't start the car. Obviously you need to
change the locks to stop people getting in.
Old March 23rd 05, 12:10 AM
radar

just claim on your house insurance !!
they will cover new locks and de-programmeing any old keys and will probably
supply a replacement car whilst the work is done. we have dealt with two
similar cases recently at work with no problems.

Hope this helps

Radar

Old March 23rd 05, 04:31 PM
C.R. Krieger

Steph wrote:
> "Peat" > wrote in message
> > Don Turner wrote:

> Try a visual deterrent aswell like a steering wheel lock. Chances are

they
> were opportunistic, but they may know somebody....

If somebody wants to take a car and the only thing in the way is a
steering wheel lock, it *will* get stolen. It takes about 30 seconds
to saw through the steering wheel to get the (unbreakable) lock off.
Check ebay for current prices of replacement steering wheels and decide
for yourself whether it's economically viable.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; seen that)

Leased A Lemon Audi A6? Richard Periut Audi 0 February 1st 05 03:59 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 09:28 AM
Audi 100 Headlight advice Stephen Clark Audi 1 October 5th 04 03:01 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM
2001 Audi A6...Buying Advice Z Audi 2 July 16th 04 04:04 PM