"hypothetical" question

Old March 1st 05, 01:12 AM
Shag

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:00:41 -0500, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
>news

>> > chainfall and two straps...pull it to ceiling.. this ain't a snapper you
>> >are messing with, can't stand it on end in a corner....
>> >

>> I thought about something like that, but figure that would be a royal
>> pain in the arse as far as convenience goes. I may wind up just
>> parking my motorcycle under the deck in the back yard and that would
>> free up enough space in the garage for what I need. Hopefully I'll be
>> figuring this all out soon. :-)
>>

>> ---

> clean out over the cieling joists you packrat, and make the lift like a
>boat lift...will be able to pull it to the cieling and still put a honda
>under it....

Hmmm... Maybe I could build a set of ramps that lead up onto a couple
of 2X12s that are elevated about 5 feet up... And could just
drive/winch up onto that... and have lots of room underneath for a
motorcycle... :-) Nah... Too much trouble to go through when I
could just park the bike under the deck.

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 1st 05, 01:16 AM
Shag

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:12:42 -0500, Shag
> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:00:41 -0500, "Joey Tribiani" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Shag" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I thought about something like that, but figure that would be a royal
>>> pain in the arse as far as convenience goes. I may wind up just
>>> parking my motorcycle under the deck in the back yard and that would
>>> free up enough space in the garage for what I need. Hopefully I'll be
>>> figuring this all out soon. :-)
>>>

>>> ---

>> clean out over the cieling joists you packrat, and make the lift like a
>>boat lift...will be able to pull it to the cieling and still put a honda
>>under it....
>>

>Hmmm... Maybe I could build a set of ramps that lead up onto a couple
>of 2X12s that are elevated about 5 feet up... And could just
>drive/winch up onto that... and have lots of room underneath for a
>motorcycle... :-) Nah... Too much trouble to go through when I
>could just park the bike under the deck.

OOH! Or... I could just hoist the bike up to the ceiling... And
have plenty of room left over then... Seriously... Hmmm... It's
only 500 lbs or so... Hell, I might just hoist the bike up to the
ceiling for fun, just cuz it would look cool. WOOT! :-D

---
Old March 1st 05, 01:28 AM
P.J. Berg

Shag wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:12:42 -0500, Shag
> > wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:00:41 -0500, "Joey Tribiani" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Shag" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>

>>>clean out over the cieling joists you packrat, and make the lift like a
>>>boat lift...will be able to pull it to the cieling and still put a honda
>>>under it....
>>>

>>Hmmm... Maybe I could build a set of ramps that lead up onto a couple
>>of 2X12s that are elevated about 5 feet up... And could just
>>drive/winch up onto that... and have lots of room underneath for a
>>motorcycle... :-) Nah... Too much trouble to go through when I
>>could just park the bike under the deck.
>>

> OOH! Or... I could just hoist the bike up to the ceiling... And
> have plenty of room left over then... Seriously... Hmmm... It's
> only 500 lbs or so... Hell, I might just hoist the bike up to the
> ceiling for fun, just cuz it would look cool. WOOT! :-D

There is a motorcycle storage lift available for that, drive onto the
narrow ramp, jack it up and turn the whole thing 90 deg against the back
wall. This solution is real neat!

J.

Old March 1st 05, 02:00 AM
Shag

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:28:56 +0100, "P.J. Berg" >
wrote:

>Shag wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:12:42 -0500, Shag
>> > wrote:

>>>Hmmm... Maybe I could build a set of ramps that lead up onto a couple
>>>of 2X12s that are elevated about 5 feet up... And could just
>>>drive/winch up onto that... and have lots of room underneath for a
>>>motorcycle... :-) Nah... Too much trouble to go through when I
>>>could just park the bike under the deck.
>>>

>> OOH! Or... I could just hoist the bike up to the ceiling... And
>> have plenty of room left over then... Seriously... Hmmm... It's
>> only 500 lbs or so... Hell, I might just hoist the bike up to the
>> ceiling for fun, just cuz it would look cool. WOOT! :-D

>There is a motorcycle storage lift available for that, drive onto the
>narrow ramp, jack it up and turn the whole thing 90 deg against the back
>wall. This solution is real neat!

I was thinking more along the lines of a strap around the handlebars
and one around the back of the frame tied together in a big redneck
knot with a Harbor-Freight special hoist to pull it up to the ceiling.
:-) I already have a the hoist and I could untie a few extra straps
from the legs of the bed to use... Hmm... This just might work. :-D

---
Old March 1st 05, 04:44 AM
Neil

How soon we forget our friends. John Henry had a simple solution to storing
more that he had room for. Remember this:
http://www.thebugshop.org/bbone.htm

Neil

Old March 1st 05, 10:57 AM
tricky

How about you drain the oil ? 10 minute job !
Measure how much comes out and its 5 mins to put it back !

Rich

Old March 1st 05, 01:02 PM
Tim Rogers

"tricky" > wrote in message

> How about you drain the oil ? 10 minute job !
> Measure how much comes out and its 5 mins to put it back !

..................After reading this entire thread, you're the only one who
came up with the most obvious and practical solution! He could drain the
engine and tranny in about 15 min.. but I wouldn't put it back in later.

Old March 1st 05, 02:30 PM
Jan

Mike West wrote:

> Shag,
>
> I believe that if you put it engine down you will get oil through the carb
> one way or the other and out the crank vent and maybe even into the dist..
> probably into the valve covers as well.

Some of teh "sealing" of teh sadn seal and crank end seal come from teh
rotation of the crank. The seal lip has little ridges that act as
"slingers", forcing oil to be thrown back in if it gets to them. You
lose this effect if the crank isn't turning. They may leak. The sand
seals are usually a poor fit&seal too. Drain the oil from both teh
engine and the tranny before doing this.

> In the tranny on top you might get fluid into the bellhousing and out the
> axle housings into the breaks maybe? If the seals aren't perfect. Isn't
> there a vent hole on a transaxkle too somewhere?

It's on the center "sandwich" part, between nose cone and case. On top.

Jan
Old March 1st 05, 02:31 PM
Jan

"P.J. Berg" wrote:

> Shag wrote:
> > Suppose you have an air-cooled VW engine with transmission attached to
> > it and the half-shafts are in place and the wheels are attached and no
> > fluids have been drained... Now you have this combination sitting on
> > the floor of your garage but it's taking up a little more room than
> > you'd like it to. Also suppose that there is a good attachment point
> > on both ends of the engine/tranny and you have a hoist set up so that
> > you could easily raise either end up, effectively making the
> > arrangement vertical, either with the engine on top or the
> > transmission on top. Also assume a sand-seal pulley is installed on
> > the engine. Would you be able to raise it up either way without
> > making a mess? I mean would you be able to raise the "engine end" up
> > with the transmission hanging beneath it or vice-versa without dumping
> > oil or transmission fluid all over the place? Maybe not a 90 degree
> > angle, but say a 60-70 degree angle? Thanks!

> Separate engine/tranny, place engine with flywheel against wall, and
> tranny up against wall with input shaft(clutch side)facing floor. No oil
> spills this way, if oil seal on ingoing axle is ok.
>
> Sounds like you bought your old bug back?
>
> J.

Use 2 blocks of wood under the bellhousing face, to take the load off
the input shaft.

jan
Old March 2nd 05, 04:21 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:13:50 +0100 "P.J. Berg" >
wrote:

>Separate engine/tranny, place engine with flywheel against wall, and
>tranny up against wall with input shaft(clutch side)facing floor. No oil
>spills this way, if oil seal on ingoing axle is ok.

I've stored trannies this way and the gear oil always ends up on the
outside. It might not be noticable over a short period of time, but
over several years the oil all seems to get out.

I'd also be willing to believe that some tranny input seals are tight
enough that this doesn't happen, but I can assure you that not all
are.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA