"new" starter grinding

Old November 7th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.[_2_]

Default "new" starter grinding

I replaced my starter with a 'new' rebuilt one...
When I turn the ignition, there's a grinding noise momentarily and then it
starts.
I removed it to check the flywheel gears and the starter gear look fine, no
shavings.
Is it possible the starter is bad?

What else should I check?

tia,

--
Mel P.

parts for sale http://melsvws.4t.com/vwparts/index.htm
77 Bug - stock FI http://melsvws.4t.com/77bug/index.htm
70 KG Cabrio http://melsvws.4t.com/70ghia/index.htm

Old November 7th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article >,
"Mel P." > wrote:

> I replaced my starter with a 'new' rebuilt one...
> When I turn the ignition, there's a grinding noise momentarily and then it
> starts.
> I removed it to check the flywheel gears and the starter gear look fine, no
> shavings.
> Is it possible the starter is bad?
>
> What else should I check?
>
> tia,

could it be the bushing in the transaxle. or a bad bendix drive.
best of luck. what was wrong with the previous starter?

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.
Old November 7th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.[_2_]

The bushing is new. The starter looked OK, not bent

Old November 7th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Karl

I have had noise when the engine spins with a new starter. The noise went
away after the new drive has worn to the flywheel teeth.

Old November 7th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article
A Veteran > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Mel P." > wrote:
>
> > I replaced my starter with a 'new' rebuilt one...
> > When I turn the ignition, there's a grinding noise momentarily and then it
> > starts.
> > I removed it to check the flywheel gears and the starter gear look fine, no
> > shavings.
> > Is it possible the starter is bad?
> >
> > What else should I check?
> >
> > tia,

> could it be the bushing in the transaxle. or a bad bendix drive.
> best of luck. what was wrong with the previous starter?

the only time I've had a starter grind is when I used a 6 volt starter
gear on 200 mm. flywheel. someone else changed it.
could you have some mis-match?

Old November 8th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> I replaced my starter with a 'new' rebuilt one...
> When I turn the ignition, there's a grinding noise momentarily and then it
> starts.
> I removed it to check the flywheel gears and the starter gear look fine, no
> shavings.
> Is it possible the starter is bad?

Did you lubricate the bushing before you put the starter back in?

Chris

Old November 9th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.[_2_]

I've changed the starter before in other cars and never heard this noise...

"Karl" > wrote in message
>I have had noise when the engine spins with a new starter. The noise went
> away after the new drive has worn to the flywheel teeth.
>

> "Mel P." > wrote in message
>> The bushing is new. The starter looked OK, not bent
>>

>> "A Veteran" > wrote in message

> fine,

>> > could it be the bushing in the transaxle. or a bad bendix drive.
>> > best of luck. what was wrong with the previous starter?
>> >
>> > --
>> > when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
>> > All problems look like nails.

'02 Intrepid Starter Grinding Flywheel msean Chrysler 18 November 21st 06 06:40 PM
Where to find my remote starter "box" thomas Technology 3 August 10th 06 12:22 AM
Starter "Button" Tom Mazda 18 May 14th 06 04:00 AM
Starter grinding noise when starting, after engine catches [email protected] Ford Explorer 4 May 6th 06 01:05 AM