2001 GC - P/S leak

Old April 21st 14, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

Default 2001 GC - P/S leak

Our son was home for Easter.
He has our old 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Noticed a spot on the street.
Opened hood.
Looks like the Power Steering "area",
just under the air intake & box filter.
The P/S stick was low,
so guessing the O-ring or seal is leaking.

What can he refill it with ?
And any other observations to watch ?
---

Bought prestone p/s fluid at walmart and didnt put it in yet,
looked more online.
Sounds like the regular stuff can do bad stuff to the p/s pump.

Called all around,
no one even knows what I'm talking about
but apparently the Valvoline stuff
meets the Mopar ms5931 and NAPA has it.
Going to pick it up and refill later today.

It's also "leak stop" so I'll keep an eye on it.

Old April 21st 14, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

"ps56k" > wrote in message
> Our son was home for Easter.
> He has our old 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo.
>
> Noticed a spot on the street.
> Opened hood.
> Looks like the Power Steering "area",
> just under the air intake & box filter.
> The P/S stick was low,
> so guessing the O-ring or seal is leaking.
>
> What can he refill it with ?
> And any other observations to watch ?
> ---
>
> Bought prestone p/s fluid at walmart and didnt put it in yet,
> looked more online.
> Sounds like the regular stuff can do bad stuff to the p/s pump.
>
> Called all around,
> no one even knows what I'm talking about
> but apparently the Valvoline stuff
> meets the Mopar ms5931 and NAPA has it.
> Going to pick it up and refill later today.
>
> It's also "leak stop" so I'll keep an eye on it.

Mopar stuff was $30+ online
and people online said they'd go to the dealer
and the dealer would put in ATF+4
since thats what the newer WK Jeeps use
which will seize the pump/fan in a WJ Jeep.

I'd rather trust looking up the spec sheet online for 2001 GC,
than someone at a dealership who may or may not know or care.

Old April 21st 14, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

ps56k wrote:
> "ps56k" wrote ...
>> Our son was home for Easter.
>> He has our old 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

You are correct in being concerned, ATF+4 is not for that model year.

I'd ask the dealership if they would warranty any
replacement due to the wrong fluid being used and
put that in writing. Which of course they probably
won't do.

All things WJ.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

Mopar P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931)

From what I have heard it's the 4.7 that needs the MS5931 P/S fluid since
that also runs the hydraulic fan, and that the 4.0 can use regular P/S
fluid. I sort of doubt that and would actually see what's written on
either he P/S fill cap or on the radiator support shroud as the
recommended fluid.

That being said, a quick google shows this (among others)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...chText=AZPSF12
Says it supports that spec.

Best thing I can say is when in doubt use the OEM part.

I'm also not a fan of leaks apart from the occasional oil marking.
P/S fluid can be coming from lots of places. Often the pump bushing.
Best thing to do is to wipe down all the hoses and then check later
for leaks. Due to the pressures (injection hazzard) (and proximity
to spinning things with sharp edges and no remorse) you should never
feel for leaks with the engine turning.

--
DougW

Old April 22nd 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> ps56k wrote:
>> "ps56k" wrote ...
>>> Our son was home for Easter.
>>> He has our old 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

> You are correct in being concerned, ATF+4 is not for that model year.
>
> I'd ask the dealership if they would warranty any
> replacement due to the wrong fluid being used and
> put that in writing. Which of course they probably
> won't do.
>
> All things WJ.
> http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm
>
> Mopar P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931)
>
> From what I have heard it's the 4.7 that needs the MS5931 P/S fluid since
> that also runs the hydraulic fan, and that the 4.0 can use regular P/S
> fluid. I sort of doubt that and would actually see what's written on
> either he P/S fill cap or on the radiator support shroud as the
> recommended fluid.
>
> That being said, a quick google shows this (among others)
> http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...chText=AZPSF12
> Says it supports that spec.
>
> Best thing I can say is when in doubt use the OEM part.
>
> I'm also not a fan of leaks apart from the occasional oil marking.
> P/S fluid can be coming from lots of places. Often the pump bushing.
> Best thing to do is to wipe down all the hoses and then check later
> for leaks. Due to the pressures (injection hazzard) (and proximity
> to spinning things with sharp edges and no remorse) you should never
> feel for leaks with the engine turning.
>
> --

from the kid.....
Valvoline bottle says Chrysler 5931 approved on the bottle label.
Refilled and haven't seen any leaks, tank is slightly pressurized when
checking.

Will keep an eye on it

Old June 10th 14, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

>> I'm also not a fan of leaks apart from the occasional oil marking.
>> P/S fluid can be coming from lots of places. Often the pump bushing.
>> Best thing to do is to wipe down all the hoses and then check later
>> for leaks. Due to the pressures (injection hazzard) (and proximity
>> to spinning things with sharp edges and no remorse) you should never
>> feel for leaks with the engine turning.
>>
>> --

> from the kid.....
> Valvoline bottle says Chrysler 5931 approved on the bottle label.
> Refilled and haven't seen any leaks, tank is slightly pressurized when
> checking.
>

> Will keep an eye on it

well - it appears to be leaking from somewhere or something...
as he just called and said there is a puddle.
He has the correct fluid, and fills it up,
but I guess it's going to have to visit the shop at some point.

Any common failures for this 2001 GC
from around the P/S pump, hose, tank, etc ?

Old June 14th 14, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_5_]

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 17:35:57 -0500, "ps56k"
> wrote:
> >> I'm also not a fan of leaks apart from the occasional oil

marking.
> >> P/S fluid can be coming from lots of places. Often the pump

bushing.
> >> Best thing to do is to wipe down all the hoses and then check

later
> >> for leaks. Due to the pressures (injection hazzard) (and

proximity
> >> to spinning things with sharp edges and no remorse) you should

never
> >> feel for leaks with the engine turning.
> >>
> >> --

> > from the kid.....
> > Valvoline bottle says Chrysler 5931 approved on the bottle label.
> > Refilled and haven't seen any leaks, tank is slightly pressurized

when
> > checking.
> >

> > Will keep an eye on it

> well - it appears to be leaking from somewhere or something...
> as he just called and said there is a puddle.
> He has the correct fluid, and fills it up,
> but I guess it's going to have to visit the shop at some point.

> Any common failures for this 2001 GC
> from around the P/S pump, hose, tank, etc ?

Got to search, could be anywhere, or even a cracked reservoir.
There were problems with the o ring seals between the reservoir and
pump.
Just start following the drip back.
Old June 19th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

He finally took it to a local shop -
It was the hose - a little nick/crack.

They asked if he smelled anything burning,
as it appeared to be spraying onto the manifold
and could have started a fire.

Old August 13th 14, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

"ps56k" > wrote in message
> He finally took it to a local shop -
> It was the hose - a little nick/crack.
>
> They asked if he smelled anything burning,
> as it appeared to be spraying onto the manifold
> and could have started a fire.

just another followup - wondering about the "red" fluid ?
---
Just checked, looks fine.

The PS fluid they added is also bright red,
so it should be obvious if it's leaking...

Old August 13th 14, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

ps56k wrote:
> "ps56k" > wrote in message
>> He finally took it to a local shop -
>> It was the hose - a little nick/crack.
>>
>> They asked if he smelled anything burning,
>> as it appeared to be spraying onto the manifold
>> and could have started a fire.
>>

> just another followup - wondering about the "red" fluid ?
> ---
> Just checked, looks fine.
>

> The PS fluid they added is also bright red,
> so it should be obvious if it's leaking...

Depends where it's dripping from.
Transmission, Transfer Case*. *depends on the case but
my 93 uses ATF fluid.

You can get leaks at the output shaft for the transmission,
the input shaft for the transfer case, and either of the
output shafts. Although the rear is more likely to leak.

Mostly an annoyance caused by seals wearing.

Unless the leak is up by the transmission cooler.
On some ZJs that's integrated into the radiator and
that connection can break or the O ring seals can start
to leak.

2001 LHS 3.5 small oil leak Bob AZ Chrysler 0 January 30th 10 03:33 AM
2001 Jeep cherokee water leak [email protected] Jeep 2 January 13th 08 01:46 PM
2001 Ford Ranger intake leak: Bush[_1_] Technology 5 December 30th 07 12:35 AM
2001 jgc tranny leak tom Jeep 0 October 17th 06 08:28 PM
Rain leak, CR-V, 2001 Lanning Honda 3 June 6th 05 03:17 AM