noise in fuel tank on my 95 bmw 740i E38

Old July 27th 08, 06:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default noise in fuel tank on my 95 bmw 740i E38

there was a humming noise come from the back seat area... so
suspected the fuel pump and put in a nea one... But the noise did not
go away. I then changed the fuel sending unit on the left side
because the noise seemed to be coming from there. But the noise did
not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise
Old July 27th 08, 10:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
> there was a humming noise come from the back seat area... so
> suspected the fuel pump and put in a nea one... But the noise did not
> go away. I then changed the fuel sending unit on the left side
> because the noise seemed to be coming from there. But the noise did
> not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
> should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise

Diff - is the noise worse in reverse or sharp corners?
This can often be ignored - I had one whirr in reverse for 11 years
until I sold the car.

Old July 27th 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

It's the fuel pump.

Just because you can hear the pump does not mean anything.

Old July 27th 08, 08:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Jul 27, 2:39 am, BBO > wrote:
> wrote:
> > not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
> > should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise

> Rear wheel bearing?
>
> --
> You can't be a rational person six days a week...and on one day of the
> week, go to a building, and think you're drinking the blood of a two
> thousand year old space god. -- Bill Maher

it makes the noise while standing still and the transmission in park.
I dont think it the bearing.
Old July 27th 08, 08:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Jul 27, 5:46 am, "R. Mark Clayton" >
wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > there was a humming noise come from the back seat area... so
> > suspected the fuel pump and put in a nea one... But the noise did not
> > go away. I then changed the fuel sending unit on the left side
> > because the noise seemed to be coming from there. But the noise did
> > not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
> > should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise

> Diff - is the noise worse in reverse or sharp corners?
> This can often be ignored - I had one whirr in reverse for 11 years
> until I sold the car.

the noise it just there all the time. 10 seconds after starting the
car the noise starts up.... It is coming from the gas tank area. And
is muffled a little when the sound deadening pad is replace onto the
fuel pump access cover plate. but its there even in park
Old July 27th 08, 08:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Jul 27, 1:50 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> It's the fuel pump.
>
> Just because you can hear the pump does not mean anything.
>
> > wrote in message

> > there was a humming noise come from the back seat area... so
> > suspected the fuel pump and put in a nea one... But the noise did not
> > go away. I then changed the fuel sending unit on the left side
> > because the noise seemed to be coming from there. But the noise did
> > not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
> > should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise

I replaced the old fuel pump with a new one already and the new is
still there. The pump that is in there now is only 3 days old
Old July 27th 08, 08:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
> On Jul 27, 1:50 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>> It's the fuel pump.
>>
>> Just because you can hear the pump does not mean anything.
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > there was a humming noise come from the back seat area... so
>> > suspected the fuel pump and put in a nea one... But the noise did not
>> > go away. I then changed the fuel sending unit on the left side
>> > because the noise seemed to be coming from there. But the noise did
>> > not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
>> > should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise

> I replaced the old fuel pump with a new one already and the new is
> still there. The pump that is in there now is only 3 days old

If the noise starts when you turn the key on, it's the pump. If the noise
does not start until you are driving, then it could be the diff.

Old July 28th 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>
>it makes the noise while standing still and the transmission in park.
>I dont think it the bearing.

Does it make the sound with the gas cap off? You can sometimes get
funny noises from the tank venting system.

If it is the fuel pump, it will usually be much louder when the tank
is low than when the tank is full.

Some fuel pumps are just noisy. Life is like that.
--scott
Old July 28th 08, 09:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
> On Jul 27, 5:46 am, "R. Mark Clayton" >
> wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > there was a humming noise come from the back seat area... so
>> > suspected the fuel pump and put in a nea one... But the noise did not
>> > go away. I then changed the fuel sending unit on the left side
>> > because the noise seemed to be coming from there. But the noise did
>> > not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
>> > should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise

>> Diff - is the noise worse in reverse or sharp corners?
>> This can often be ignored - I had one whirr in reverse for 11 years
>> until I sold the car.

> the noise it just there all the time. 10 seconds after starting the
> car the noise starts up.... It is coming from the gas tank area. And
> is muffled a little when the sound deadening pad is replace onto the
> fuel pump access cover plate. but its there even in park

Fuel pump then - look for a leak and bleed the line.

Is there any sort of a pressure switch which should switch it off once
satisfactory pressure is achieved?

PS my third 735i used to whirr for a few seconds after switch on while it
pressurised the fuel line - it was best to wait for this to end before
trying to start the engine.

Old July 31st 08, 06:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nicik Name

> wrote in message
> there was a humming noise come from the back seat area... so
> suspected the fuel pump and put in a nea one... But the noise did not
> go away. I then changed the fuel sending unit on the left side
> because the noise seemed to be coming from there. But the noise did
> not go away... Before doing anything else I want to know what else
> should I check... or what else could it be that is causing that noise

CD player back there gone bad?

Fuel tank or fuel gage problem. [email protected] Technology 3 April 10th 08 04:32 AM
Carter is the only company that makes "in fuel tank" fuel pumps for the 1997 suburban [email protected] Technology 7 October 20th 07 12:46 AM
Fuel in Oil..2000 Dodge Neon, SOHC, in-tank fuel pump. Help!! [email protected] Chrysler 2 November 26th 06 10:59 AM
98 xj gas tank noise jeep Jeep 5 September 1st 06 02:13 AM
Fuel tank leak - fuel pump cover or pressure release valve? zarro Jeep 5 March 11th 05 08:15 PM