How Hard To Remove Auto Trans on '92?

Old July 26th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

Default How Hard To Remove Auto Trans on '92?

My automatic transmission is gushing fluid on my '92 EB. I have
disconnected the driveshaft and removed the transfer case. I called about
renting a transmission jack but it's going to be difficult and rather
expensive as I'd have to drive pretty far to get it and return it (or work
really, really fast). Transmission jacks seem to run about $200 and up.
The transmission shop wants about $900 just to yank it out and I guess to
put it back. Can I modify my floor jack and use it? I was thinking of
using angle iron (like cut from a bed frame) and some 1/2" eye bolts so I
could put some chain through the eyes to secure the trans. Or what about
those adapter kits for floor jacks? Are they strong enough for an Explorer
trans? Is it hard to find the balance point so it doesn't fall over when
you remove it?

It seems to be leaking from the torque converter housing. Anyone else have
this problem? Also, the vacuum diaphram is on the side on this trans. I'm
wondering if it's an A4LD. It was replaced with a rebuilt from Ford a few
years back. I thought the vacuum diaphram was on the top. Do they say A4LD
on them somewhere?

Old July 27th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:31:20 -0700, "Ulysses" />
> wrote:
>
> >My automatic transmission is gushing fluid on my '92 EB. I have
> >disconnected the driveshaft and removed the transfer case. I called

about
> >renting a transmission jack but it's going to be difficult and rather
> >expensive as I'd have to drive pretty far to get it and return it (or

work
> >really, really fast). Transmission jacks seem to run about $200 and up.
> >The transmission shop wants about $900 just to yank it out and I guess to
> >put it back. Can I modify my floor jack and use it? I was thinking of
> >using angle iron (like cut from a bed frame) and some 1/2" eye bolts so I
> >could put some chain through the eyes to secure the trans. Or what about
> >those adapter kits for floor jacks? Are they strong enough for an

Explorer
> >trans? Is it hard to find the balance point so it doesn't fall over when
> >you remove it?
> >
> >It seems to be leaking from the torque converter housing. Anyone else

have
> >this problem? Also, the vacuum diaphram is on the side on this trans.

I'm
> >wondering if it's an A4LD. It was replaced with a rebuilt from Ford a

few
> >years back. I thought the vacuum diaphram was on the top. Do they say

A4LD
> >on them somewhere?
> >

> I have heard of people making (or perhaps buying) adaptors to stick on
> a plain cheap alligator jack to use for the transmission. Years ago
> myself and a friend pulled and replaced a powerglide from a camaro in
> a driveway on jackstands with just the jack and no adaptor.
>
> The vacuum modulator is on the side down low as I recall.

OK, then it sounds like it's in the right place.

> How hard was removing the TC?

I removed the seats and the access panel to get at the bolts securing the
transfer case. One or two of them (it's been a while since I removed it)
were a bit difficult to get at and and I recall having to use an open-end
wrench and turning them 1/8 turn at a time. Also, one of the bolts was
damaged (rounded off head) which was probably done by Ford when they
replaced the trans. I tied it onto my floor jack with some ropes and
removed it without any assistance. If it was not for the rounded-off bolt
it would not have been real difficult, just very involved due to the seat
(and center console) removal.