Honda Accord Codes p1259 and p0401

Old May 11th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Honda Accord Codes p1259 and p0401

I have a 99 honda accord and it has been cutting out pretty bad while
accelerating. Then the check engine light came on with these codes p
1259 and 0401. Where should I start, could these issues be related? I
have never had to work on this car and it has right at 200000 miles on
it but I need it to last a while longer. LOL So is this something I
can fix on my own or not? Please any advice will
help..............:banghead:

's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=512935
View this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=703322

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 11th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin

Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in
> :
>
>> I have a 99 honda accord and it has been cutting out pretty bad while
>> accelerating. Then the check engine light came on with these codes p
>> 1259

> According to Honda: VTEC system malfunction.
>

>> and 0401.

> EGR insufficient flow.
>

>> Where should I start, could these issues be related?

> You can start by tellng what engine you have (L4 or V6). The V6's had
> known issues with EGR port clogging, leading to the illumiation of the
> MIL with a P0401 DTC. There is a TSB out on that (99-038). Even the 4's
> can clog up eventually.
>
> The P1259 may be related to the P0401. Get the EGR looked at first.

>> have never had to work on this car and it has right at 200000 miles on
>> it but I need it to last a while longer. LOL So is this something I
>> can fix on my own or not?

> Maybe, but only if you have considerable experience with this sort of
> thing.

I don't know much about Hondas, but when I see a variable cam timing
code, the first thing I check is to see if there is an engine left. Cam
timing codes are frequently set from slipped belt drives. If that is an
interference engine, the egr might be the least of your problems.
Old May 11th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Steve Austin > wrote in
:

> I don't know much about Hondas, but when I see a variable cam timing
> code, the first thing I check is to see if there is an engine left.
> Cam timing codes are frequently set from slipped belt drives. If that
> is an interference engine, the egr might be the least of your
> problems.

Comboverfish would know way better than either of us, but I'm guessing
it's possible the 1259 may be being induced by the stumbling caused by EGR
problems.

--
Tegger

Old May 12th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin

Tegger wrote:
> Steve Austin > wrote in
> :
>

>> I don't know much about Hondas, but when I see a variable cam timing
>> code, the first thing I check is to see if there is an engine left.
>> Cam timing codes are frequently set from slipped belt drives. If that
>> is an interference engine, the egr might be the least of your
>> problems.
>>

> Comboverfish would know way better than either of us, but I'm guessing
> it's possible the 1259 may be being induced by the stumbling caused by EGR
> problems.

Too little egr won't affect acceleration. Too much egr is going to be
an idle problem.