Check engine light and d4

Old March 19th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dcip

Default Check engine light and d4

I have 93 accord 10th anniversary addition 179k. The check engine
light came on and the D4 started blinking at the same time. Checked
the codes and came back with a 6 for the check engine light and 1 for
the D4 light. Looked up the engine light code and it says that it is
the coolent temperature switch. I cannot find what the code is for the
D4. In addition, recently the idle has been intermittenly high after
driving and then putting it into park. goes up to about 2k and
sometimes surges. Sometimes it goes back down to normal (800rpm) and
sometimes it does not. I did clean the IAC screen and checked the
coolent level. I have also searched this news group about the D4 light
but did not find any clear info. Any input would be appreciated.

Old March 21st 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"dcip" > wrote in news:1174327689.729480.32230
@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> I have 93 accord 10th anniversary addition 179k. The check engine
> light came on and the D4 started blinking at the same time. Checked
> the codes and came back with a 6 for the check engine light and 1 for
> the D4 light. Looked up the engine light code and it says that it is
> the coolent temperature switch.

It just means the ECU is not receiving a valid signal from the switch. This
could mean anything from broken wires to corrosion to a bad switch.

> I cannot find what the code is for the
> D4. In addition, recently the idle has been intermittenly high after
> driving and then putting it into park. goes up to about 2k and
> sometimes surges. Sometimes it goes back down to normal (800rpm) and
> sometimes it does not. I did clean the IAC screen and checked the
> coolent level. I have also searched this news group about the D4 light
> but did not find any clear info. Any input would be appreciated.

The TCM code 1 can be set by fluctuating idle.

Both these codes can be the result of low coolant. If you've checked the
coolant at the RAD and found it OK, you may have a Fast Idle Thermo Valve
that's sticking open.

With the engine fully warm and the idle cycling, remove the air cleaner
hose from the throttle body and check the LOWER port in the throttle body
with your finger. If there is suction, and the idle settles down when you
cover the port, the FITV is sticking open. This usally happens when the
cooling system has been neglected.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 21st 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dcip

On Mar 20, 7:12 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> "dcip" > wrote in news:1174327689.729480.32230
> @l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I have 93 accord 10th anniversary addition 179k. The check engine
> > light came on and the D4 started blinking at the same time. Checked
> > the codes and came back with a 6 for the check engine light and 1 for
> > the D4 light. Looked up the engine light code and it says that it is
> > the coolent temperature switch.

> It just means the ECU is not receiving a valid signal from the switch. This
> could mean anything from broken wires to corrosion to a bad switch.
>
> > I cannot find what the code is for the
> > D4. In addition, recently the idle has been intermittenly high after
> > driving and then putting it into park. goes up to about 2k and
> > sometimes surges. Sometimes it goes back down to normal (800rpm) and
> > sometimes it does not. I did clean the IAC screen and checked the
> > coolent level. I have also searched this news group about the D4 light
> > but did not find any clear info. Any input would be appreciated.

> The TCM code 1 can be set by fluctuating idle.
>
> Both these codes can be the result of low coolant. If you've checked the
> coolant at the RAD and found it OK, you may have a Fast Idle Thermo Valve
> that's sticking open.
>
> With the engine fully warm and the idle cycling, remove the air cleaner
> hose from the throttle body and check the LOWER port in the throttle body
> with your finger. If there is suction, and the idle settles down when you
> cover the port, the FITV is sticking open. This usally happens when the
> cooling system has been neglected.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Thanks Tegger. I will check it. I recently put in one of those hi-
flow air filters which you spray oil on them to trap dirt. Maybe
sprayed too much?

Old March 22nd 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"dcip" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Thanks Tegger. I will check it. I recently put in one of those hi-
> flow air filters which you spray oil on them to trap dirt. Maybe
> sprayed too much?

While I despise those type of filters and recommend instant removal of them
from the vehicle, it is not likely your problem here unless excess oil is
fouling the throttle body.

Check engine light Tang Ford Explorer 1 July 16th 06 01:46 AM
Check Engine Warning light appeared after filling engine oil! [email protected] BMW 6 July 1st 06 12:22 AM
Check light / Check engine light nichdl1 BMW 2 June 8th 06 10:39 PM
1996 Chrysler Cirrus - Check engine light on and battery light on - HELP.... [email protected] Chrysler 6 December 25th 05 07:55 PM
2000 Passat V6 Engine Misfire + Check Engine light Sergio VW water cooled 3 February 11th 05 07:08 PM