Tegger replaces his alternator

Old March 16th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion

Default Tegger replaces his alternator

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Did I mention why my cutoff date for Honda(s) is 1983 where the
> alternator replacement is a whopping fifteen minutes or so...

I've got it down to a science with my '87 Accord(s). Gotta remove it, slide it
across the crossmember, over the engine mount, and out the far side of the
engine, but I can re-and-re within half an hour now (after LOTS of practice).
Most of that time is getting wrenches into that tight space to get everything loose.

Might hafta look into that DeWalt impact gun, but until then, I LOVE my
MasterCraft (Canadian Tire brand) cordless impact gun. For a 14.4V tool, it's
amazingly efficient (rated 1050 in-lps.)... and lightweight, and compact... and
strong! It once acted as an inadvertent jackstand when I was using it on an
exhaust clamp and left it sitting under the frame rail when I let the car down.
Old March 16th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Matt Ion > wrote in

> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>
>> Did I mention why my cutoff date for Honda(s) is 1983 where the
>> alternator replacement is a whopping fifteen minutes or so...

> I've got it down to a science with my '87 Accord(s). Gotta remove it,
> slide it across the crossmember, over the engine mount, and out the
> far side of the engine, but I can re-and-re within half an hour now
> (after LOTS of practice). Most of that time is getting wrenches into
> that tight space to get everything loose.
>
> Might hafta look into that DeWalt impact gun, but until then, I LOVE
> my MasterCraft (Canadian Tire brand) cordless impact gun. For a 14.4V
> tool, it's amazingly efficient (rated 1050 in-lps.)

That's 88 ft-lbs. Might as well use your fingers if you expect that one to
budge a spindle nut.

The DeWalt does 325 ft-lbs, or 3900 in-lbs.

Love my DeWalt. LOVE it. Kiss kiss kiss (eww, greasy)...

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 17th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Tegger wrote:
>
>> Did I ever tell you aftermarket sucks?
>>
>> Through no fault of my own, I ended up with two aftermarket reman
>> alternators (NAPA), both of which failed very quickly. This time I
>> said screw the aftermarket warranty, bit the bullet and bought a
>> genuine Honda reman.
>>
>> And this one I installed...myself. First time for this type of project.
>>
>> I can now say, with total confidence, that there is absolutely NO way
>> of removing the alternator in the 1991 Integra without first removing
>> the left driveshaft AND the alternator's lower bracket.
>>
>> As with my suspension repairs, I found my electric impact gun and my
>> balljoint tool to be worth their weight in gold. With them, the job
>> was a piece of cake. Without them I don't think the job would have
>> been possible. The spindle nut is torqued to 134 ft lbs, and requires
>> at least twice that to remove.
>>
>> The factory manual wants you to remove the damper fork entirely. I
>> wonder why, as the entire driveshaft was easily removable through the
>> fork without even removing the pinch bolt. Perhaps my (aftermarket)
>> inner CV joints are smaller in diameter than the OEMs were.
>>
>> The patient is resting comfortably, as is the surgeon.
>>
>> Pics he
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/
>>

> Did I mention why my cutoff date for Honda(s) is 1983 where the
> alternator replacement is a whopping fifteen minutes or so...
>
> <G>
>
> JT

I recommend "moving on up", like I did to a '90 Legend from my '88
Accord a couple of years ago. That's if you don't mind giving up 50% of
your gas mileage. The alternator is on top! The timing belt change is
still a b*Tch.

P.S. She just turned over 66K miles. (:-D)

dan
Old March 17th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

dan wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>

>> Tegger wrote:
>>
>>> Did I ever tell you aftermarket sucks?
>>>
>>> Through no fault of my own, I ended up with two aftermarket reman
>>> alternators (NAPA), both of which failed very quickly. This time I
>>> said screw the aftermarket warranty, bit the bullet and bought a
>>> genuine Honda reman.
>>>
>>> And this one I installed...myself. First time for this type of project.
>>>
>>> I can now say, with total confidence, that there is absolutely NO way
>>> of removing the alternator in the 1991 Integra without first removing
>>> the left driveshaft AND the alternator's lower bracket.
>>>
>>> As with my suspension repairs, I found my electric impact gun and my
>>> balljoint tool to be worth their weight in gold. With them, the job
>>> was a piece of cake. Without them I don't think the job would have
>>> been possible. The spindle nut is torqued to 134 ft lbs, and requires
>>> at least twice that to remove.
>>>
>>> The factory manual wants you to remove the damper fork entirely. I
>>> wonder why, as the entire driveshaft was easily removable through the
>>> fork without even removing the pinch bolt. Perhaps my (aftermarket)
>>> inner CV joints are smaller in diameter than the OEMs were.
>>>
>>> The patient is resting comfortably, as is the surgeon.
>>>
>>> Pics he
>>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/
>>>

>> Did I mention why my cutoff date for Honda(s) is 1983 where the
>> alternator replacement is a whopping fifteen minutes or so...
>>
>> <G>
>>
>> JT
>>

> I recommend "moving on up", like I did to a '90 Legend from my '88
> Accord a couple of years ago. That's if you don't mind giving up 50% of
> your gas mileage. The alternator is on top! The timing belt change is
> still a b*Tch.
>
> P.S. She just turned over 66K miles. (:-D)
>
> dan

No way!

I love my ol' Honda tin. Anything after 1983 starts with the *real*
idiot lights, computers, real cramped quarters and too much complexity.
Besides, I like 40+ mpg!

The kicker is that so far, all repairs actually have been accomplished
by using my gut instincts of old vintage cars of the 1950's and 1960's...

<G>

JT

Old March 18th 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion

Tegger wrote:
> Matt Ion > wrote in
>

>>Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>>

>>>Did I mention why my cutoff date for Honda(s) is 1983 where the
>>>alternator replacement is a whopping fifteen minutes or so...

>>I've got it down to a science with my '87 Accord(s). Gotta remove it,
>>slide it across the crossmember, over the engine mount, and out the
>>far side of the engine, but I can re-and-re within half an hour now
>>(after LOTS of practice). Most of that time is getting wrenches into
>>that tight space to get everything loose.
>>
>>Might hafta look into that DeWalt impact gun, but until then, I LOVE
>>my MasterCraft (Canadian Tire brand) cordless impact gun. For a 14.4V
>>tool, it's amazingly efficient (rated 1050 in-lps.)

> That's 88 ft-lbs. Might as well use your fingers if you expect that one to
> budge a spindle nut.

Well sure, but what do you expect for 14V?

> The DeWalt does 325 ft-lbs, or 3900 in-lbs.
>
> Love my DeWalt. LOVE it. Kiss kiss kiss (eww, greasy)...

Would you two like to be alone?
Old March 18th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Matt Ion > wrote in

> Tegger wrote:
>> Matt Ion > wrote in

>> The DeWalt does 325 ft-lbs, or 3900 in-lbs.
>>
>> Love my DeWalt. LOVE it. Kiss kiss kiss (eww, greasy)...

> Would you two like to be alone?

Close the door on your way out...

Old March 22nd 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

I finally got around to trying to find out why the crappy aftermarket
alternator I recently removed went bad.

First thing I did was pull the rear cover and the brush holder.
Well, guess what I found?

Check out these slip rings:
<http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/l-bad_alt_slip-rings.jpg>
See the inner ring? It was rough like sandpaper.

And now the brushes:
<http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/k-bad_alt_brushes.jpg>
Look at the short one. That's the one that was riding on
the inner slip ring. It wore down below spec just five months after
installation.

I wonder what else was bad on that alt.

Don't ever buy aftermarket ****.

Old March 22nd 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Here at Honda Car Talk, nothing beats "Slide Shows by
Tegger."

Man I love that second photo in particular.

"So I was just hangin' out in the ga-rage, and so I thought
I'd dissect the old alternator for an afternoon of
adventure... Maybe give ol'Elle a thrill with a few
snapshots of the guts... "

:-)

"Tegger" > wrote

Old March 22nd 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion

Tegger wrote:
> I finally got around to trying to find out why the crappy aftermarket
> alternator I recently removed went bad.
>
> First thing I did was pull the rear cover and the brush holder.
> Well, guess what I found?
>
> Check out these slip rings:
> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/l-bad_alt_slip-rings.jpg>
> See the inner ring? It was rough like sandpaper.
>
> And now the brushes:
> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/k-bad_alt_brushes.jpg>
> Look at the short one. That's the one that was riding on
> the inner slip ring. It wore down below spec just five months after
> installation.
>
> I wonder what else was bad on that alt.
>
> Don't ever buy aftermarket ****.

That's just brutal.

I'd take it back to where you got it and drop it on someone's foot.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in
ink.net:

> Here at Honda Car Talk, nothing beats "Slide Shows by
> Tegger."
>
> Man I love that second photo in particular.
>
> "So I was just hangin' out in the ga-rage, and so I thought
> I'd dissect the old alternator for an afternoon of
> adventure... Maybe give ol'Elle a thrill with a few
> snapshots of the guts...

<holds flashlight under chin>

Behold...the horror...

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

"Volkswagen's born-again Rabbit replaces Golf" Mike VW water cooled 1 November 19th 06 04:08 PM
TeGGer!! Do you have these TSB yet? Llatikcuf Honda 11 October 31st 05 01:54 PM
Mazda replaces car keys with USB drive... BE Driving 6 September 5th 05 07:48 AM
Thank You Tegger chefkojak Honda 2 July 27th 05 05:41 PM
Thank You Tegger chefkojak Honda 0 July 27th 05 02:43 AM