Which To Buy?

Old March 14th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jrk

Default Which To Buy?

"Gohan Ryu" > wrote in message

> There are a few americans that prefer american cars. The rest of the
> world knows better. Numbers don't lie. Seriously, most of the 10
> people who are satisfied with their american car are here in this
> thread blowing smoke up each others asses. So you can't imagine a cop
> jumping curbs in an Accord, do you really think the guy who started
> this thread wants to buy a car that his daughter will be using to jump
> curbs? Numbnuts...
>
> On a side note...
>
> I had a 92 Honda Prelude Si that was stolen. It was recovered a week
> later...cops called me at midnight one night telling me to come get it
> (so it wouldn't have to be impounded). When I got there the cop that
> found it told me the story. He was pulling into a restaurant when he
> saw my car go flying by and run a red light...cop gives chase for a few
> miles and guess what? He couldn't catch my lil stock underpowered
> econobox with his Crown Vic (RWD and all!). Once the car thief lost
> the cops he abandoned the car on a side-street - that's where the cops
> found it.

Don't you know? That was just cop talk for, I had to finish my donut before
I gave chase. I took a side-street in hopes of not finding the car because I
don't want to do any real work tonight, I've got innocent civilians to
harrass!

Old March 15th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gohan Ryu[_24_]

jrk Wrote:
> "Don't you know? That was just cop talk for, I had to finish my donut
> before
> I gave chase. I took a side-street in hopes of not finding the car
> because I
> don't want to do any real work tonight, I've got innocent civilians to
> harrass!

Sounds like the typical excuse an american car lover would give LOL.

Nope - he wanted to catch the guy. You shoulda heard his cop buddies
giving him **** for not catching the thief...cops are pretty funny.

Old March 15th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jrk

"Gohan Ryu" > wrote in message

> jrk Wrote:
>> "Don't you know? That was just cop talk for, I had to finish my donut
>> before
>> I gave chase. I took a side-street in hopes of not finding the car
>> because I
>> don't want to do any real work tonight, I've got innocent civilians to
>> harrass!

> Sounds like the typical excuse an american car lover would give LOL.
>
> Nope - he wanted to catch the guy. You shoulda heard his cop buddies
> giving him **** for not catching the thief...cops are pretty funny.

It has nothing to do with american cars! It has everything to do with
good-for-nothing cops.

(By the way I own a 2002 Accord LX and a 2004 S-10, I have previously owned
a '99 Civic, '99 Accord, '79 Civic 5dr, '88 S-10, '97 S-10 Blazer, and '90
Sentra. None have given me major problems, and most all have had minor
problems. With regard to my experience, neither make has been more reliable
than the other. I'm not biased one way or the other.)

Old March 16th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford

On Mar 13, 3:28 am, Joe LaVigne > wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:46:16 +0000, who wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > "Robert" > wrote:

> >> OK, that cleared a lot up. I agree. Used Japanese cars are overpriced,
> >> perhaps due to the stereotype of the American cars.

> > That reminds me of when a lady friend asked me for advise when buying a
> > new car in 1994.
> > She liked both the Taurus and Honda Accord which cost a bit more, but
> > she told me the Honda dealer told her the Taurus would be worth much
> > less in 3 years.
> > I asked her how long she intended to keep the car, she replied about 10
> > years. Then I said there will be little difference in value.
> > She bought the '94 Taurus which has served her very well and which she
> > still drives daily.

> 1994 Accord EX $2736
> 1994 Taurus LX $754
>
> These are the current private-party values for those 2 cars. The Honda
> is still worth significantly more. If she were to trade in her Ford right
> now, she'd get a paltry $323 for it from the dealer.

I think she couldn't care less. Old people usually have
a good idea how hard money are to get (for most people anyway)
and are pretty stingy as a result.
For her probably it matters only if she can get another
5 or 10 years out of it. Won't be surprised if she could.
Heck, my old boss has a 10 y.o. taurus that was stinking
(literally) pretty badly and despite making about $1/4mil (US) a year
among himself and his wife he just could not let go.
His secretary is driving LS400 though :-D

Old March 24th 07, 12:41 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:12:34 -0800, isquat wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, "DodgeDriver" > wrote:
>> We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She
>> is talking Honda Civic. Don't know why, but she believes that is what
>> she wants. She will have about $5,000 (US) to spend. I lean toward
>> something not more than 5 years old. Haven't started looking but
>> thought I would ask this group for opinions a Civic. Are all Civics
>> created equal or are there certain models/years to stay away from?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

> For $5k I'd buy an american over a jap car anyday. Much better value and
> reliability

Isn't this an oxymoron?

> because $5k buys you a dilapidated jap car and an american car
> in very good shape.

Bull. I bought a 1995 Toyota Tercel in 2001 for $1400 and sold it in 2004
for $1400 with 130,000 miles on it and PLENTY of life left in it.
Car was in near mint condidiotn, it had a dent in the door, ran like a top
and got 44 MPG with an AT. I needed to sell it to get the money to buy a
Supra. If you look hard and long enough, you can find deals.

Old March 24th 07, 12:43 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:57:35 -0800, isquat wrote:

> On Mar 6, 5:16 am, "Robert" > wrote:
>> What were the three Japanese cars and what was the American car? Are the
>> Japs even Hondas? Or are we comparing 80s Civics to an '07 Cadillac or
>> Lincoln?

> 02 Legacy with 92k miles to 03 Taurus with 95k miles. The former expired
> the engine at 166k

There's a maintenance schedule in the book. You were supposed to change
the timing belt at 120K.

Old March 24th 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 23, 3:43 pm, Hachiroku ハチ*ク > wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:57:35 -0800, isquat wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 5:16 am, "Robert" > wrote:
> >> What were the three Japanese cars and what was the American car? Are the
> >> Japs even Hondas? Or are we comparing 80s Civics to an '07 Cadillac or
> >> Lincoln?

> > 02 Legacy with 92k miles to 03 Taurus with 95k miles. The former expired
> > the engine at 166k

> There's a maintenance schedule in the book. You were supposed to change
> the timing belt at 120K.

My nightmare of a car had nothing to do with the timing belt.
Did I mention timing belt anywhere? You think with $10k dumped
into the car I would've tried to save pennies on the timing belt?

Old March 25th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:39:55 -0700, isquat wrote:

> On Mar 23, 3:43 pm, Hachiroku ハチ*ク > wrote:

>> > 02 Legacy with 92k miles to 03 Taurus with 95k miles. The former
>> > expired the engine at 166k

>> There's a maintenance schedule in the book. You were supposed to change
>> the timing belt at 120K.
>>

> My nightmare of a car had nothing to do with the timing belt. Did I
> mention timing belt anywhere? You think with $10k dumped into the car I
> would've tried to save pennies on the timing belt?

Well, most people who kill their Hondas do so by not changing the timing
belt when called for. I figured you probably ignored the belt and ruined
the engine.

But I now see you came up with a more ingenious way to kill what should
have been a bullet-proof car...