1992 jeep wrangler

Old June 16th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Richard Gath

Default 1992 jeep wrangler

I need info regarding a fuel pump for above vehicle. It's been changed
4 times and all 4 times, it makes a loud whirring noise. The first 3
fuel pumps were aftermarket, and the 4th was a stock pump, put in by
local Firestone. Could anyone tell me how to stop the whirring noise
because they can't seem to find the probem. I'm at a loss and it's
driving me crazy! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old June 16th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Lon

Richard Gath wrote:
> I need info regarding a fuel pump for above vehicle. It's been changed
> 4 times and all 4 times, it makes a loud whirring noise. The first 3
> fuel pumps were aftermarket, and the 4th was a stock pump, put in by
> local Firestone. Could anyone tell me how to stop the whirring noise
> because they can't seem to find the probem. I'm at a loss and it's
> driving me crazy! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Try rec.autos.makes.jeep-willys, someone there with a Jeep a bit closer
to yours than I have might recognize the problem.

When do you hear the whine? While driving?
Or if you just turn the key on without starting, does it continue to
whine rather than shut off after a few seconds as it should?

Old June 16th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Richard Gath

It`s a continous whine.

Old June 16th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Richard Gath

It`s a continous whine.

Old June 16th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

Richard Gath wrote:
> I need info regarding a fuel pump for above vehicle. It's been changed
> 4 times and all 4 times, it makes a loud whirring noise. The first 3
> fuel pumps were aftermarket, and the 4th was a stock pump, put in by
> local Firestone. Could anyone tell me how to stop the whirring noise
> because they can't seem to find the probem. I'm at a loss and it's
> driving me crazy! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The pumps are kinda noisy. Well you can clearly hear them when you turn
the key. Engine and road noise normally mask it though.

I am not sure on the YJ, but on the early Cherokee 4.0's they used a
ceramic ballast resistor on the fuel pump power to help keep the noise
down. This was located out on the driver's side inner fender near the
rad. Could yours have one of those that may have been bypassed? It
looks just like a ceramic ignition ballast resistor that folks bypass
when troubleshooting starting issues. Sometimes they get left bypassed.

Just a thought.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
Old June 17th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Richard Gath

This whirring noise thing gets progressively noisier while the veichle
is running.