Hemi Challenger

Old October 8th 07, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Hemi Challenger

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:02:48 -0400, Michael Johnson >
wrote:

>I don't know exactly what our landfill does with the oil but I'm sure it
>isn't discarded either. Personally, I think changing the oil every
>3,000 miles is more important than using high dollar synthetics.
>Changing it regularly flushes out contaminants and for most users
>provides more than adequate protection. Maybe some vehicles that see
>extremely cold weather benefit from the better viscosity properties of
>Mobil One or other synthetics.
>
>My truck doesn't burn (or leak) any noticeable amount of oil between
>changes and it has seen a variety of brands (i.e. whatever is on sale by
>the case at Costco) for as long as I have owned it. I don't even use
>Ford filters all the time. If anyone really wants to do their engine a
>favor then just change the oil regularly. Same goes for the automatic
>transmission which, IMO, is the most neglected component in most
>vehicles today. I change the fluid and filter in the Explorer every
>30k-40k miles and am still running on the original transmission which,
>for an Explorer, is quite an accomplishment at nearly 200k miles on the
>odometer.

I'll agree 100%, with one addition. Use decent oil.Use heavy enough
oil for the conditions. 5W20 is not heavy enough for high speed high
temperature running. In ANY engine. I don't care what the manual says.
5W20 oil is for C.A.F.E. and notheing more.
Extended oil changes are a product of consumer legislation - an engine
must last through warranty on the reduced oil change schedule
published.

Old October 8th 07, 05:04 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"WindsorFox" > wrote in message
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>
>> I don't know exactly what our landfill does with the oil but I'm sure it
>> isn't discarded either. Personally, I think changing the oil every 3,000
>> miles is more important than using high dollar synthetics. Changing it
>> regularly flushes out contaminants and for most users provides more than
>> adequate protection. Maybe some vehicles that see extremely cold weather
>> benefit from the better viscosity properties of Mobil One or other
>> synthetics.

> If you have a good filter there should be no need to flush any
> contaminates and a simple drain and refill isn't much of a flush. I did
> flush my Mustang when I changed to synthetic, or I should say real
> synthetic. The crap left behind by 5 years of Castrol GTX was truely
> astonishing.
>

>> My truck doesn't burn (or leak) any noticeable amount of oil between
>> changes and it has seen a variety of brands (i.e. whatever is on sale by
>> the case at Costco) for as long as I have owned it. I don't even use
>> Ford filters all the time. If anyone really wants to do their engine a
>> favor then just change the oil regularly. Same goes for the automatic
>> transmission which, IMO, is the most neglected component in most vehicles
>> today. I change the fluid and filter in the Explorer every 30k-40k miles
>> and am still running on the original transmission which, for an Explorer,
>> is quite an accomplishment at nearly 200k miles on the odometer.

> Now riddle me this. If you insist on changing the motor oil at 3-4k
> miles, why are you comfortable with changing the ATF at 40k with no time
> limit? ATF is put through just as rigorous usage if not worse than the
> engine oil is and I've seen ATF described as "The most complex compound

There is NO COMBUSTION going on in your automatic transmission, the
contaminations involved is orders of magnitude less...

Old October 8th 07, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 04:04:23 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody" >
wrote:

>"WindsorFox" > wrote in message
>> Michael Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know exactly what our landfill does with the oil but I'm sure it
>>> isn't discarded either. Personally, I think changing the oil every 3,000
>>> miles is more important than using high dollar synthetics. Changing it
>>> regularly flushes out contaminants and for most users provides more than
>>> adequate protection. Maybe some vehicles that see extremely cold weather
>>> benefit from the better viscosity properties of Mobil One or other
>>> synthetics.

>> If you have a good filter there should be no need to flush any
>> contaminates and a simple drain and refill isn't much of a flush. I did
>> flush my Mustang when I changed to synthetic, or I should say real
>> synthetic. The crap left behind by 5 years of Castrol GTX was truely
>> astonishing.
>>

>>> My truck doesn't burn (or leak) any noticeable amount of oil between
>>> changes and it has seen a variety of brands (i.e. whatever is on sale by
>>> the case at Costco) for as long as I have owned it. I don't even use
>>> Ford filters all the time. If anyone really wants to do their engine a
>>> favor then just change the oil regularly. Same goes for the automatic
>>> transmission which, IMO, is the most neglected component in most vehicles
>>> today. I change the fluid and filter in the Explorer every 30k-40k miles
>>> and am still running on the original transmission which, for an Explorer,
>>> is quite an accomplishment at nearly 200k miles on the odometer.

>> Now riddle me this. If you insist on changing the motor oil at 3-4k
>> miles, why are you comfortable with changing the ATF at 40k with no time
>> limit? ATF is put through just as rigorous usage if not worse than the
>> engine oil is and I've seen ATF described as "The most complex compound

>There is NO COMBUSTION going on in your automatic transmission, the
>contaminations involved is orders of magnitude less...

No combustion, but lots of friction and more wear than in an engine.
The mechanism is also orders of magnatude more sensitive to
contamination, with the clearances in the valve bodies being EXTREMELY
close. Not as critical on today's electronic transmisssiona as on the
old "hydraulic brain" but still critical.

There is also a LOT of heat involved, which causes oxidation of the
fluid, just like combustion. You definitely have less acid production
and dilution - but it is, as I have repeated several times, still
CRITICAL.

Old October 9th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Michael Johnson wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> Michael Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Our landfill has a large tank that the oil gets dumped in and they
>>> empty it regularly. It doesn't get mixed in with the rest of the
>>> garbage. They also take used batteries and other household liquids.
>>> For my needs the cheap oil/filter route has proven to work well. The
>>> nearly 200k trouble free miles on my Explorer is a testament that it
>>> works. There are sales about every weekend for oil filters of one
>>> brand or another (sometimes under $2 each). Buying oil by the case
>>> at discount stores is the best way to get the lowest price per
>>> quart. It isn't hard to make DIY oil changes for dirt cheap. Many
>>> local shops will do it for around $20.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying your setup doesn't work. Frankly, I just don't know
>>> one way or the other. That $120 you spend to get the system in the
>>> car covers me for three years of oil changes and the amount you pay
>>> for the annual oil/filter change probably covers me for the year
>>> too. IMO, there are very few circumstances that require the type of
>>> system you have installed. It looks to be more of a novelty thing
>>> than a practical one. Like I said, I'm not saying you are crazy for
>>> using it as it probably works for your use. I also don't think it
>>> delivers any practical benefit, cost wise or from an engine longevity
>>> aspect, for the overwhelming majority of auto owners.

>> Right, I also have very large, very expensive stereo equipment,
>> which certainly isn't necessary. And in reality with the dual filter
>> and Amsoil or Donaldson filters I would most likely get just as good
>> of service form Mobil 1 or Havolin, I just prefer the better stuff.
>> You should spring for an oil analysis once JFTHOI just to see what it
>> says. Depending in the quality of your filters you may be shocked to
>> see that it's as good as it was when it came out the bottle.

> I have received all the analysis I need from my Explorer's odometer and
> oil dipstick. They both tell me that the inexpensive oil and filters I
> use are working just fine.

I meant just once to see what it says. You would find it interesting
regardless of the report.

Old October 9th 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> "WindsorFox" > wrote in message
>> Michael Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know exactly what our landfill does with the oil but I'm sure it
>>> isn't discarded either. Personally, I think changing the oil every 3,000
>>> miles is more important than using high dollar synthetics. Changing it
>>> regularly flushes out contaminants and for most users provides more than
>>> adequate protection. Maybe some vehicles that see extremely cold weather
>>> benefit from the better viscosity properties of Mobil One or other
>>> synthetics.

>> If you have a good filter there should be no need to flush any
>> contaminates and a simple drain and refill isn't much of a flush. I did
>> flush my Mustang when I changed to synthetic, or I should say real
>> synthetic. The crap left behind by 5 years of Castrol GTX was truely
>> astonishing.
>>
>>> My truck doesn't burn (or leak) any noticeable amount of oil between
>>> changes and it has seen a variety of brands (i.e. whatever is on sale by
>>> the case at Costco) for as long as I have owned it. I don't even use
>>> Ford filters all the time. If anyone really wants to do their engine a
>>> favor then just change the oil regularly. Same goes for the automatic
>>> transmission which, IMO, is the most neglected component in most vehicles
>>> today. I change the fluid and filter in the Explorer every 30k-40k miles
>>> and am still running on the original transmission which, for an Explorer,
>>> is quite an accomplishment at nearly 200k miles on the odometer.

>> Now riddle me this. If you insist on changing the motor oil at 3-4k
>> miles, why are you comfortable with changing the ATF at 40k with no time
>> limit? ATF is put through just as rigorous usage if not worse than the
>> engine oil is and I've seen ATF described as "The most complex compound

> There is NO COMBUSTION going on in your automatic transmission, the
> contaminations involved is orders of magnitude less...

I disagree on the magnitude.

Old October 9th 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"WindsorFox" > wrote in message
> My Name Is Nobody wrote:

>>> If you have a good filter there should be no need to flush any
>>> contaminates and a simple drain and refill isn't much of a flush. I did
>>> flush my Mustang when I changed to synthetic, or I should say real
>>> synthetic. The crap left behind by 5 years of Castrol GTX was truely
>>> astonishing.

>>> Now riddle me this. If you insist on changing the motor oil at 3-4k
>>> miles, why are you comfortable with changing the ATF at 40k with no time
>>> limit? ATF is put through just as rigorous usage if not worse than the
>>> engine oil is and I've seen ATF described as "The most complex compound

>> There is NO COMBUSTION going on in your automatic transmission, the
>> contaminations involved is orders of magnitude less...
>>

> I disagree on the magnitude.

OK, one order of magnitude...

After all many automatic transmissions go the life of the automobile they
are in, often well over 100,000 miles and NEVER have their automatic
transmission fluid changed. You cannot get away with that with the engine
oil...

Old October 16th 07, 06:49 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

Joe wrote:
> "Les Benn" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "daytripper" > wrote in message

>>> I saw one - briefly - a couple of days ago on a customer test
>>> drive loop. It was bright red and gorgeous, and was hauling butt
>>> on the highway. Sounded awesome...
>>>
>>> /daytripper
>>> '05 hemi durango ltd

>> The Mustang Guys are having kittens worried about having a car that
>> will blow the doors off the Shelby GT500 Mustang.

> This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the
> Challenger will see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom
> line, the Challenger isn't competing with the GT500.
>
>> I love competition!!
>> There goes GM with the new Camaro last to market and butt ugly too.

> I'll give you that.

" Here is the latest info... 5500 produced in 2008, they will be
SRT8's only w the 6.1L hemi and AutoStick Transmission.
2009 they will have a 3.5L V6, 5.7L Hemi, and 6.1L Hemi w/ Optional
6-Speed Manual. Looks like it will be very close to the concept.
Different wheels and a few small changes but overall it is pretty
close."

Pictures and conjecture at:
http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=39341

--
Frank ess

Hemi Challenger Les Benn[_2_] Dodge 132 October 16th 07 06:49 PM
Autos 1969 - 1977 ] [150de467] - 1970 Dodge Challenger Hemi(2).jpg (6/6) yvonttycomprendre Auto Photos 0 September 15th 07 11:09 PM
Last ones - File 129 of 139 - 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger RT plum crazy fvl.jpg (1/1) Mike G[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 31st 06 08:31 AM
Last ones - File 128 of 139 - 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger RT plum crazy Engine.jpg (1/1) Mike G[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 31st 06 08:30 AM
REPOST (By req): Gilmore Auto Museum - Sep 05 - 1970 Dodge Challenger R-T Hemi - fvr.jpg (1/1) Roadsign[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 22nd 06 02:09 PM