'65 - '66 suspension

Old November 9th 04, 03:52 PM
Jeffrey Davison

Default '65 - '66 suspension

What needs to be done to the '65 - '66 to make them the best "track"
car? Ride quality is not as important as handling.
After market bits available? best springs and socks? Anyone here of an
independent rear suspension conversion?

Thanks people

Jeff Davison
Old November 9th 04, 05:26 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Jeffrey Davison opined in :

> What needs to be done to the '65 - '66 to make them the best "track"
> car? Ride quality is not as important as handling.
> After market bits available? best springs and socks? Anyone here of an
> independent rear suspension conversion?
>
> Thanks people
>
> Jeff Davison

hehehehehehe !

Have you even visited the Library? Or half price books?

"Gee guys...I dont have time to read anything or even do a google so I can
ask intelligent questions.
So please catch me up on 40 years of enthusiast wisdom."

Suprised he didnt ask us to send it email.

-BUT_ Since i understand brash youth and once wuzwunuvvem, then,
if you're really serious, I suggest this is the only way to go:

http://www.horsepowered.com/forums/s...6&page=1&pp=20

This project solves it all.
Old November 9th 04, 05:54 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Jeffrey Davison opined in :

> What needs to be done to the '65 - '66 to make them the best "track"
> car? Ride quality is not as important as handling.
> After market bits available? best springs and socks? Anyone here of an
> independent rear suspension conversion?
>
> Thanks people
>
> Jeff Davison

Oh wait...i was mean!
I always get these feelings of remorse after the fact, or else I need a
cigarette...

If this was a forum, I would delete it but I cant.. so..

So let me start over:

Yes, Jeff we understand you dont have time to go back and dredge through that
40 years of nonsense, since the current state of the art is a distillation of
all that.

SoI've made a list and when I get back from work, I'll google all the web
sites and Amazon books as well as the group archive.

I'm sure chuck's old mail-list is archived somewhere too...

Once I get all that, I'll distill out the mods I seem apoproprate and write
an outline complete with thimbnails of any helpful graphics.

There's also a collectors mag store a few miles away....I'll just google for
apropriate articles then go buy those old editions and send them to you.

No sweat it's on me! After all, .....

BTW, would you like me to email this stuff from now on?

Just occurred to me what a drag it must be to have to open up the newsgroup,
lot easier just to see it in your inbox.

Of course, once you express a direction,
i'm sure we'd all be happy to furnish you with all the details of those
options and put them in USPS priority mail... or do you prefer fed-ex
overnight?

Any term papers or dissertations you need researched?

How about fries and drink with that?

- - - - - - - - -- - --
Yes, I need to get a life!

Old November 9th 04, 10:00 PM
Jeffrey Davison

Thanks, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

I am continuously scouring the net for info on this and many other
subjects. I thought I might approach this newsgroups for collective
wisdom and specific recommendations and or specific manufactures.

I am neither "brash" not a "youth" Been around the block a few times
(50) and this is my first foray into American muscle and live axles.

I would hope that people here would be able to help. Too many forums
welcome newcomers with the (in my opinion) "check the archives stupid
newbee" That really doesn't give one a warm welcome feeling to someone
getting into a hobby or a specific type of vehicle. It gives quite the
opposite effect.

All I really need are recommendations from those that have btdt on the
track with the classic Mustangs. Perhaps there may be s few in this
newsgroups? Plan is to build a street / track car (not into drag racing)
so I'm after balance. There are a plethora of bushing kits, linkage
kits, different "A" arms , coil overs etc.. out there and just buying
what looks good or buying just by manufactures ads and claims can lead
one down an expensive road to unhappiness.

Looking for real experience with these cars that I can put to practical
use without having to put my own "40 years" into. Heck I'd be 90
arthritic, and blind by then. (sounds like half the drivers in south
Florida)

Plan is to take a classic '66-'65 Fastback do resto-mod with a 331 and a
T56, use it for a daily driver and play with it on track day with mostly
European machinery. I don't want to make it a Shelby clone, just a good
car that can stand on it's own credentials and the builders (mine). I
have the driving skill, just don't want to be embarrassed by the machine
itself.

Thanks for your time and any goodies that may appear in my inbox!

Jeff Davison

Old November 10th 04, 03:16 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Ah... now there is a suitable response to a geezer (have 12 years on you)
wise-ass crack-on!

Kudos, Jeff!

Tell you what, though... honing your search-term logic will get you a wealth
of info for what you need.

Dunno if you've seen the Fordnatic site but there is a LOT of leads on there.

http://www.chucko.com/fordnatics/

BTW: If I was buiding a track car, I'd initially think of IRS... but the
solid axle seems to still hold sway among those who know their stuff... and
most think of IRS as best for a road car

And you NEVER know where you'll find the info... this is pretty general but a
little surprising because of the site ...

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...=pht20020101mu

As I said before, if I was resto-modding...the only way I'd do a
sixties...I'd go as full-bore as I could, at least the M II front end, to the
extreme of the SN65.

Stiffening the unibody is a given.

Jeffrey Davison opined in :

Old November 10th 04, 04:34 AM
Cory Dunkle

Try www.fordmuscle.com, you may get a more warm welcome there.

Old November 10th 04, 05:03 AM
Jeffrey Davison

THANKS!

just those two sites have given me a good dose of info-overload! Dammm,
there goes my social life for the next couple of weeks ;^P

Jeff

Old November 10th 04, 05:53 AM
boB

Jeffrey Davison wrote:

> What needs to be done to the '65 - '66 to make them the best "track"
> car? Ride quality is not as important as handling.
> After market bits available? best springs and socks? Anyone here of an
> independent rear suspension conversion?
>
> Thanks people
>
> Jeff Davison

Take a look at Total Control products, they are probably the best
in the industry. Very expensive, though.
The MII front end is a good deal, too. But it requires a lot of
cutting and welding, and can also be pretty expensive in the end.
I've not seen an IRS for those years. If you really want IRS,
consider a 67-70.
The guys at Mustangs Plus do a lot of restomod work and some
racing. Talk with them about current state of the art.

Don't forget all the obvious work that a unibody car needs.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old November 10th 04, 02:29 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Jeffrey Davison opined in :

> Too many forums
> welcome newcomers with the (in my opinion) "check the archives stupid
> newbee" That really doesn't give one a warm welcome feeling to someone
> getting into a hobby or a specific type of vehicle. It gives quite the
> opposite effect.

Ummm... yes.

It's a tribal thing.

Anthropology 101
Those that are worthy hang in there!

Right Cory?

Suspension sims Bob Paulin Technology 0 December 27th 04 05:24 PM
Suspension AND Body lift? JoeArmy99 4x4 16 June 27th 04 06:08 PM
Alfa 156 GTA vs A4 with sports suspension? MacIglebek Alfa Romeo 5 May 24th 04 05:47 AM
Manual rear air suspension Mark Carroll General 1 March 17th 04 04:14 PM