GT500 & Corvette Duke It Out!

Old May 28th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default GT500 & Corvette Duke It Out!

Check out the new Car & Driver.

The new Shelby GT500 ran a disappointing 12.9 @ 112 mph. Not really
any faster than the previous 4.6 Terminator Cobra. (Hopefully we don't
have another '99 Cobra fiasco happening.)

The Corvette ran 12.8 @ 113 / 0-60
--
They also raced two low-milage examples of the '68 GT500 & '68 427
Vette.

'68 GT500 -- 13.9 @ 103
'68 427 Vette -- 13.8 @ 105

Patrick

Old May 28th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In reality both cars will perform better than that.
Which will actually be faster? Hard to say so far.
The Mustang has the 100-hp advantage, but it comes
wrapped with a heavier weight penalty. Power wars!

I'm glad they dumped the fog lights from the GT500.
SVT really does know how to make Mustangs look good!

Thanks,
Scott

Old May 29th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The new Shelby is close to 3,900 pounds isn't it? A Corvette is not
over 3,200. 20+% more weight is going to require 80-90 horsepower for
par. There you go.

Old May 29th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

HerkyJerky wrote:
> The new Shelby is close to 3,900 pounds isn't it? A Corvette is not
> over 3,200. 20+% more weight is going to require 80-90 horsepower for
> par. There you go.

Weight is definitely a factor but times for both cars are low IMO. I
have a Mustang that makes about 425 rwhp and 460 rwtq at 2,500 rpm. It
has a T-56 six speed with 3.55 gears and launching is a tricky affair.
Especially with street tires. A GT500 with a good driver and slicks
should easily dip into the high to mid 11 second range and could get
into the 10s with a few relatively cheap and easy tuning tricks
......like a smaller blower pulley.
Old May 29th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

that to was the first thing that came to mind. the mustang being heaver
than the vette. mp

Old May 29th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Driver skill(with regard to manual transmissions) definitely plays a big
part in 1/4 mile race times BUT the biggest factor is a little thing called
power-to-weight ratio(PtW). Acceleration is directly tied to PtW therefore
PtW is king at the strip. The straight dope is as follows:

2006 Ford Shelby GT500
Engine: 5.4L
500 SAE NET HP / 3,920 lbs == .128

2006 Chevrolet Corvette
Engine: 7L
505 SAE NET HP / 3,132 lbs == .161

1968 Ford Shelby GT500
Engine: 428CJ CID
335 SAE GROSS HP / 3,780 lbs == .088

1968 Chevrolet Corvette
Engine: 427 CID(L36,L68,L71,L88)
390-430 SAE GROSS HP/ 3,210 lbs == .121-.134

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C with a PtW
of .103 @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

oups.com...

Old May 29th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Power to weight ratio is important but the area under the torque curve
is definitely better on the GT500 which helps to equalize its power to
weight ratio being higher. Kenne Bell blown Mustangs will run about the
same ETs as a centrifugal blown Mustang that has 40-50 more PEAK rwhp.
The GT500 should have a huge advantage in this area which, in the end,
should allow it to rule at the drag strip even though it is a porker.

Old May 29th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

HerkyJerky wrote:
> The new Shelby is close to 3,900 pounds isn't it? A Corvette is not
> over 3,200. 20+% more weight is going to require 80-90 horsepower for
> par. There you go.

My surprise was not at the Vette beating the GT500 by a tenth; it was
at the GT500 running the same quarter as the 03-04 Terminator cars.