Nationality of car makers: Audi, Dodge/Chrysler, Porsche, Jaguar

Old December 13th 04, 07:19 PM
castoris

Default Nationality of car makers: Audi, Dodge/Chrysler, Porsche, Jaguar

Audi, Chrysler, Porsche, Jaguar?

Above all why are Dodge cars sold as Chrysler in Europe?
Isn't dodege an American manufaturer and Chrysler British??
Thanks
Old December 13th 04, 08:15 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, castoris wrote:

> Audi

German

> Chrysler

German, now. Was American.

> Porsche

German

> Jaguar?

Anglo-American (was English, now owned by Ford)

> Above all why are Dodge cars sold as Chrysler in Europe?

Because there is no brand recognition or equity to "Dodge" in Europe,
aside from Dodge-badged, Renault-built heavy trucks.

> Isn't dodege an American manufaturer and Chrysler British??

Dodge Bros. was an American auto manufacturer purchased by Walter P
Chrysler (another American automaker) in the 1920s, at which point Dodge
became a brand of the Chrysler Corporation. Since Daimler-Benz took over
Chrysler in 1998, Dodge is now a brand of DaimlerChrysler, a German
automaker.

Other brands of the now-defunct Chrysler Corporation include Plymouth (no
longer in production), DeSoto (no longer in production), Imperial (no
longer in production) and Fargo (no longer in production).
Old December 13th 04, 08:15 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, castoris wrote:

> Audi

German

> Chrysler

German, now. Was American.

> Porsche

German

Old December 13th 04, 10:02 PM
Richard Ehrenberg

....and Jeep, bought, along the the ashes of AMC, from the French gov't
(Renault) ~1988.

AMC engineering is alive and well, however, as a department in DCX. It's
called: "JTE" - Jeep-truck engineering. (now you know why 318/360 Magnums
got AMC rocker arms!)

Rick
n.umich.edu...

Old December 13th 04, 10:02 PM
Richard Ehrenberg

Old December 14th 04, 12:53 AM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, castoris wrote:

>>Above all why are Dodge cars sold as Chrysler in Europe?

> Because there is no brand recognition or equity to "Dodge" in Europe,
> aside from Dodge-badged, Renault-built heavy trucks.

Apparently the same is true in Canada, as Intrepids sold (and
manufactured) in Canada are (or should I say "were") badged as Chryslers
(badged as Dodges for sale in the U.S.).

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old December 14th 04, 12:53 AM
Bill Putney

Old December 14th 04, 01:20 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Bill Putney wrote:

> > Because there is no brand recognition or equity to "Dodge" in Europe,
> > aside from Dodge-badged, Renault-built heavy trucks.

> Apparently the same is true in Canada, as Intrepids sold (and
> manufactured) in Canada are (or should I say "were") badged as Chryslers
> (badged as Dodges for sale in the U.S.).

True, and the same was done with the Chrysler Daytona and Chrysler Dynasty
up here, but there have been plenty of Dodge automobiles sold in Canada
over the years (Aries, Spirit, Magnum, Dart, Shadow...)
Old December 14th 04, 01:20 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 14th 04, 05:58 PM
Bill 2

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, castoris wrote:

> >>Above all why are Dodge cars sold as Chrysler in Europe?

> > Because there is no brand recognition or equity to "Dodge" in Europe,
> > aside from Dodge-badged, Renault-built heavy trucks.

> Apparently the same is true in Canada, as Intrepids sold (and
> manufactured) in Canada are (or should I say "were") badged as Chryslers
> (badged as Dodges for sale in the U.S.).

Even though they sold Intrepid and Dynasty as Chryslers in Canada, they have
also at the same time sold Dodge cars in Canada (Aries, Caravan, Neon,
Spirit, Shadow).

The Dodge Stratus is not available in Canada (past 2000), only the Sebring.
Plymouth (or even Chrysler) Voyager (also with a plant in Canada) is not
available in Canada past 2000, only Dodge Caravan and Chrysler T&C.

Interesting enough, the Neon was sold as Plymouth / Dodge in Canada for the
95-99 model years, but from 2000-2002 it was sold only as a Chrysler (even
the R/T model). From 2003 on it is being sold only as a Dodge (called SX
2.0, not Neon). Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 are also available in Canada.

Ford does similar things in Canada. In the states the Ford Taurus and
Mercury Sable are available. Only the Taurus is available in Canada (for
2000+). Merc Villager hasn't sold in Canada for years. Merc Monterey isn't
sold in Canada, only Freestar. Merc Mountaineer isn't sold in Canada, only
Explorer. Merc Montego isn't available either, only Ford Fivehundred. Merc
Mariner isn't available, only Ford Escape. In the states the Ford Crown Vic
and Mercury Grand Marquee are available (and made in Canada). Oddly enough
in Canada only the Mercury version is available for individual sale past '98
or so. The Crown vic is available in Canada for fleet sale only (mostly
rental car companies and police).

For GM, the Chev prism (Toyota Corrola) isn't avalible in Canada from Chev,
only Toyota. In the US the Chev Aveo isn't avalible from Suzuki. In Canada
is it avalible from both Chev, and Suzuki (as the Swift +).