are all engines the same?

Old July 24th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jizzosh[_1_]

Default are all engines the same?

Alright, here's what I'm getting at: currently, the car I'm driving
before I get my liscense is an in-line 4 cylinder. Now, just say that
each cylinder has a displacement of .5 liters for each type of 4
cylinder(v, inline, boxer etc.), would they all have the same RPM? Or
does the crankshaft have something to do with that? Sorry I'm new on
learning the car basics.

--
Jizzosh
Jizzosh's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=466362

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 24th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Generally, as a rule, all internal combustion engines are similiar,
with more exceptions that as a rule. One exception is the Mazda RX8
which I was told by a friend who drives one, is a rotary engine. The
rotary engine will use synthetic lubricant. Most of the characteristics
you list will vary from one engine to another, and to your list, torque
at certain rpms, etc. I think the length of piston rods has a lot to do
with torque, rpms.
Have a look at
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...p? id=1221944

The diesel is another example of differences in engines.

Old July 24th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Jizzosh wrote:
> Alright, here's what I'm getting at: currently, the car I'm driving
> before I get my liscense is an in-line 4 cylinder. Now, just say that
> each cylinder has a displacement of .5 liters for each type of 4
> cylinder(v, inline, boxer etc.), would they all have the same RPM?

The pistons in each of the four cylinders would have precisely the same
rpm because they are all connected to the same crankshaft. The three
different engine designs may run at the same rpm or at different rpm's
depending on the gear ratios and tire size selected. Those criteria
might vary depending on the power output of each engine and the kind of
vehicle the engine was installed in.

Old July 24th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Hmmm.....

Well, to start, car engine pistons go up and down normally, they don't
revolve in a circle so they have no 'rpm'.

The crank they are attached to however does rotate.

Different engine have a radically different speed at which they rotate.
My Jeep engine has a maximum rotation of 4400 rpm. Some engines can
have up to 8000 rpm and more.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 25th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jizzosh[_2_]

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm still a little confused, though. So the crank does play a part in
the RPM right? Are there different types of crankshafts you can buy and
whatnot? Or is it something in the engine that makes the crank produce
more torque?

Old July 25th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Jizzosh" > wrote in message

> Alright, here's what I'm getting at: currently, the car I'm driving
> before I get my liscense is an in-line 4 cylinder. Now, just say that
> each cylinder has a displacement of .5 liters for each type of 4
> cylinder(v, inline, boxer etc.), would they all have the same RPM? Or
> does the crankshaft have something to do with that? Sorry I'm new on
> learning the car basics.
>

> --
> Jizzosh
> Jizzosh's Profile:
> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=466362
> View this thread:
> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=596258
>
> http://www.automotiveforums.com

Good for you. I admire a curious mind and hope you pursue the effort to
learn all you can about what interests you.

Fist though, you need to do some reading. There is too much information
addressing your question to post it all here. So, here is a good place for
you to start.

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/engines/engines.html

You will find the answer to your questions there, but a quick answer would
be.... No, not all engines are alike, and just because they have the same
displacement (size) doesn’t mean they will have the same characteristics
concerning horsepower, RPM's, torque, etc
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 25th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_2_]

Jizzosh wrote:
> Thanks for the responses guys.
>
> I'm still a little confused, though. So the crank does play a part in
> the RPM right? Are there different types of crankshafts you can buy and
> whatnot? Or is it something in the engine that makes the crank produce
> more torque?

Without the crankshaft you have NO RPM to measure so it's just a bit
important. The crank directly effects the torque and rpm ability of an
engine. There are a LOT of crankshafts BUT they are not a plug and play
item. The length of the connecting rods, type of head and deck/valve
clearance, bore size, piston type and many other items factor into the
crankshaft you can use.

Old July 25th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jizzosh

Thanks, that has a lot of good stuff.

One more question: I've been reading some stuff on that site, and is it
better to have a longer stroke or a smaller one? I thought longer was
better, but it talks about the inverse relationship of volume and
pressure, and obviously lower volume equals higher pressure. With that
being said, higher pressure equals higher temperature. Temperature and
energy go hand in hand, and it says "the more energy the air-fuel
mixture has, the more force it exerts on the piston, and the more work
the piston can do."

Old July 25th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Jizzosh" > wrote in message

> Thanks, that has a lot of good stuff.
>
> One more question: I've been reading some stuff on that site, and is it
> better to have a longer stroke or a smaller one?

Longer stroke is usually better for more torque but not as good for high
RPM's

I thought longer was
> better, but it talks about the inverse relationship of volume and
> pressure, and obviously lower volume equals higher pressure.

Don't confuse combustion chamber volume with cylinder volume.

With that
> being said, higher pressure equals higher temperature.

Temperatures must be kept to reasonable limits.

Temperature and
> energy go hand in hand, and it says "the more energy the air-fuel
> mixture has, the more force it exerts on the piston, and the more work
> the piston can do."

too much power, and damage might result.

> --
> Jizzosh
> Jizzosh's Profile:
> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=466362
> View this thread:
> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=596258
>
> http://www.automotiveforums.com

Slow down Josh. You must learn to crawl before you take off running.
View this:

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/video/video/engcycle.wmv

Then consider that a longer stroke has it's advantages and disadvantages.
You will need to understand much more about engine performance before you
will understand the difference. There is more to take into consideration
than just power or performance. Emissions, durability, economy, power, etc.
all have to be considered when designing an engine to do what is required.
Some engines are designed for performance, some for economy. Sorry I can not
take the time to explain all there is to know in this medium, but if you
continue to browse around the web site http://www.cdxetextbook.com/
you will eventually understand enough to ask the right questions and many of
your questions will be explained there.

Old July 25th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

Jizzosh > wrote in
:

> Thanks for the responses guys.
>
> I'm still a little confused, though. So the crank does play a part in
> the RPM right? Are there different types of crankshafts you can buy and
> whatnot? Or is it something in the engine that makes the crank produce
> more torque?

You appear to be in the same situation I was thirty years ago. Back then,
there was no Internet, so I was forced to visit the public library in
search of answers to my questions, which were very much like yours.

Today there is a staggering amount of information available in seconds at
your fingertips, through the Internet and Internet search engines.

Try these sites for the very basic teaching you're looking for:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
This site even has little videos.
Once you read through that and are know some of the terms involved, this
site, www.google.com , can lead you to much more detailed info.

I do find occasionally that information on the Internet may not be
presented to the beginner in such a way as to be immediately clear, and
this is what Usenet is for (such as this group).

--
TeGGeR®