Brand new rotor/pads - rotor scored

Old May 2nd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Brand new rotor/pads - rotor scored

I just put new pads & rotors (all four wheels) on my '93 infiniti g20.
One of the rotors (front driver side) is already getting scored! It's
only been about two weeks. Here is a picture if anyone cares to look

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~bp8/rotor/rotor1.jpg

There are two score lines on the top half of the rotor. What could
possibly cause this?

I should also note that there was a nasty metallic scraping sound
occasionally coming from this wheel before the brake job. It's quiet at
this point.

Thanks a lot

Old May 2nd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"bellman" > wrote in
ps.com:

> I just put new pads & rotors (all four wheels) on my '93 infiniti g20.
> One of the rotors (front driver side) is already getting scored! It's
> only been about two weeks. Here is a picture if anyone cares to look
>
> http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~bp8/rotor/rotor1.jpg
>
> There are two score lines on the top half of the rotor. What could
> possibly cause this?
>
> I should also note that there was a nasty metallic scraping sound
> occasionally coming from this wheel before the brake job. It's quiet at
> this point.

It's nothing at all worth worrying about. A few scores is meaningless.

Do you drive little? Do you have aftermarket pads? Both will result in lots
of rust, and lots of grinding noise.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 2nd 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

What brand of brake pads did you use? The albany brand(from autozone)
is notorious for noise and abnormal wear. Too much clay content from
what I have been able to gather.

I'd suggest either united brand(from Napa) or
Raybestos(Checker/Shucks(sp?)/Kragen).

Chris

Old May 2nd 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

These are Raybestos QuckStop pads. I'm suspecting there is something
extraneous rubbing on the rotor... a bent clip maybe? I'll take a look
at it soon. The rotor looks pretty bad for only having <200 miles on
it.

Old May 2nd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Would these by any chance be Chinese rotors?

Old May 2nd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Yes, made in China.

Old May 5th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well, I and many others have seen some incredible things from China.
They usually make the items look good to start. They hide the flaws and
some can be dangerous. They simply so not care about your welfare. I
hope your replacements were better.