Small hole in gas tank filler pipe.

Old April 27th 05, 01:57 AM
Denny B

Default Small hole in gas tank filler pipe.

How can one repair a small hole in the gas tank filler pipe?
There is a square rubber gasket when you look under the
vehicle that circles the pipe where it comes through the inside
of the fender.I guess this gasket is to prevent muck from getting
into the fender well.

Over the years as muck has stuck to this gasket it has corroded
the gas filler pipe. If I know what I observe now, if one went
to the plumbing store and got a 3 inch rubber collar with end clamps
and put it around the filler pipe where it comes through the rubber
gasket this probably would not have happened.

By the way I have purchased this type of rubber collar, slit
it down the middle to pet it around the pipe and fitted the end
clamps. This has almost solved the leak but not 100%.

Has anyone an opinion if JB.Weld will hold, if I clean the pipe first
then scuff the metal with a scuff pad?

Your assistance appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Denny B

Old April 27th 05, 02:02 AM
Nate Nagel

Denny B wrote:

> How can one repair a small hole in the gas tank filler pipe?
> There is a square rubber gasket when you look under the
> vehicle that circles the pipe where it comes through the inside
> of the fender.I guess this gasket is to prevent muck from getting
> into the fender well.
>
> Over the years as muck has stuck to this gasket it has corroded
> the gas filler pipe. If I know what I observe now, if one went
> to the plumbing store and got a 3 inch rubber collar with end clamps
> and put it around the filler pipe where it comes through the rubber
> gasket this probably would not have happened.
>
> By the way I have purchased this type of rubber collar, slit
> it down the middle to pet it around the pipe and fitted the end
> clamps. This has almost solved the leak but not 100%.
>
> Has anyone an opinion if JB.Weld will hold, if I clean the pipe first
> then scuff the metal with a scuff pad?
>
> Your assistance appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Denny B

How difficult would it be to remove this filler pipe, or is it part of
the tank? I'd personally remove it, throw it in the electrolytic
derusting tank (fancy name for a trash can and an old battery charger)
and then either braze it or JB-weld it. If you can get all the rust off
it should hold.

good luck,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 27th 05, 02:07 AM
Denny B

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Denny B wrote:
>
> How difficult would it be to remove this filler pipe, or is it part

of
> the tank? I'd personally remove it, throw it in the electrolytic
> derusting tank (fancy name for a trash can and an old battery

charger)
> and then either braze it or JB-weld it. If you can get all the rust

off
> it should hold.
>
> good luck,
>
> nate

Yes the filler pipe is part of the gas tank.
There was very little rust and I have cleaned
what there was off.
I guess over the years the moisture and snow
caused this problem.

Thanks
Denny B

Old April 27th 05, 02:49 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Some auto parts stores have "play-dough" epoxy sticks that are rated
for patching holes in gas tanks. J-B makes one, in fact. They might
be physically easier to work with than classic goop-format J-B in your
situation. A coat of the latter over the cured play-dough would be a
belt and suspenders approach.

There are several brands of this play-dough epoxy oriented toward
various purposes, and I keep an appropriate selection in both home and
car. Amazing what can be fixed with it, or at least "MacGyvered" well
enough to get you to the main road, a three-day weekend, next month's
paycheck, or whatever a proper repair involves.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old April 27th 05, 01:31 PM
Al Bundy

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> Some auto parts stores have "play-dough" epoxy sticks that are rated
> for patching holes in gas tanks. J-B makes one, in fact. They might
> be physically easier to work with than classic goop-format J-B in

your
> situation. A coat of the latter over the cured play-dough would be

> belt and suspenders approach.
>
> There are several brands of this play-dough epoxy oriented toward
> various purposes, and I keep an appropriate selection in both home

and
> car. Amazing what can be fixed with it, or at least "MacGyvered"

well
> enough to get you to the main road, a three-day weekend, next month's
> paycheck, or whatever a proper repair involves.
>
> Cheers,
> --Joe

J-B is selling the two part "knead" type epoxy around my town now.

Old April 28th 05, 04:30 AM
Factor

If it's a pin hole(s), JB weld will seal it up fine, I've done it myself.
Since it is corroded it will certainly be rough enough to stick well.
Spreading the JB over the corroded metal should prevent further corrosion
too.