Early C3: 4 X 6 Delco replacement speakers - 10 Ohms or not?

Old August 20th 04, 10:23 PM
pgtr

Default Early C3: 4 X 6 Delco replacement speakers - 10 Ohms or not?

I've found some 'Delco' service replacement 4X6s available thru GM as
well as possibly some mail-order outfits claiming to be 'original
replacements' or service replacements.

Q: Anybody tried these or have personal experience or knowledge?

Q: Are they in fact 10 ohms since they claim to be original
replacements?

Q: Do these newer Delco replacement 4X6s have larger ROUND magnets
than the original smallish 'square' magnets?

thanks
Old August 22nd 04, 03:23 AM
Tom in Missouri

Who sells them? A lot of the new speakers are just 8 ohm and they will fry
the DS501 power transistor.

"pgtr" <pgtr(deletethisandsubstituteatsymbol)bigfoot[ddot]com> wrote in
message ...

Old August 22nd 04, 04:12 AM
pgtr

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:23:46 GMT, "Tom in Missouri" >
wrote:

>Who sells them? A lot of the new speakers are just 8 ohm and they will fry
>the DS501 power transistor.

Hi Tom,

You would ask that - and darned if I have the info handy offhand. I'm
thinking I saw them in C Central.

Also I believe GM services them. (not sure of the ohms and thus why
I'm posting). I've got the part # around here somewhere - I'll post
when I find it if interested.

But I don't know the ohms of these newer GM replacements or those
claiming to be 'correct' in the catalog (C Central I think) and thus
my question...?

Actually I think 8 ohms would be pretty safe w/ an early C3 amp. 8
ohms is probably in or darn close to teh tolerance for the early
speakers of that era. If I could find some modern speakers w/ all the
bells and whistles in 4X6 @ 8 ohms I'd probably consider them.

I think what you are thinking of is the 4 ohm speakers - that's what
all modern aftermarket speakers are nowadays. 4 ohms is certainly too
much strain for an older amp like an early C3. It's a shame too
because there are really good speakers w/ butyl surround and 2 way or
better and modern cone materials. But 4 ohms isn't going to cut it.