OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires

Old September 3rd 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Default OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires

My '89 Mazda 626:

The recommended tires were 185/70-14. I replaced them with the same size.
Acceleration was OK at best, and poor going up hills. Also, the amount of
sidewall flex made for poor cornering.

I replaced the original tires with the cheapest ones I could find, a $29
"loss leader" from a regional tire place. One went flat last week, and I
found a crack in the tread at the sidewall. NG...

So, I had some 185/60-14s hanging around and had them mounted. WOW!!! The
acceleration is amazing, even going uphill in 4th gear (I had to downshift
to 3rd before...). Handling is 100% better, and the odometer is finally
right (it was 5% off (-) before...)

Any comments? I haven't been able to 'calibrate' the speedo yet. Even
though the odometer was off before, the speedo was correct according to
three different radar 'speed reminders' they put by the side of the road,
and a couple of 'official' radar readings as well...

Old September 3rd 07, 04:32 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
EdV

Did you use the same tire pressure?

Old September 3rd 07, 06:06 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
mack

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> My '89 Mazda 626:
> I replaced the original tires with the cheapest ones I could find,

I cringed when I saw these words, Hachi, because a tire is the last type of
ANY product where it's a good idea to go on the cheap. Buy cheap motor
oil, cheap beer, cheap underwear, and cheap laundry detergent, and though
they may not be as good as the name brand, they'll get the job done, and
most importantly, they won't kill you. Cheap tires can, have and will kill
people.
Buy day old bread, margarine instead of butter, and second hand shirts from
Goodwill, but overpay for your tires. One blowout or tread separation at
highway speed, and you won't have to worry about anything any more....ever.

Old September 3rd 07, 10:00 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:06:41 -0700, mack wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> My '89 Mazda 626:
>> I replaced the original tires with the cheapest ones I could find,

> I cringed when I saw these words, Hachi, because a tire is the last type
> of ANY product where it's a good idea to go on the cheap. Buy cheap
> motor oil, cheap beer, cheap underwear, and cheap laundry detergent, and
> though they may not be as good as the name brand, they'll get the job
> done, and most importantly, they won't kill you. Cheap tires can, have
> and will kill people.
> Buy day old bread, margarine instead of butter, and second hand shirts
> from Goodwill, but overpay for your tires. One blowout or tread
> separation at highway speed, and you won't have to worry about anything
> any more....ever.

I cringed when I bought them.

And I was REALLY steamed when, one week after putting the cheapest "All
Season" tires I could on what was to be a winter car, Sears put real,
honest to goodness Winter Goodyears on sale in the same size for $35 each...

Old September 3rd 07, 10:01 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:32:48 -0700, EdV wrote:

> Did you use the same tire pressure?

Um, somewhat...

The old tires were rated for 44 PSI, I kept them at ~40.

These are rated for 35, and they are at 35.

Old September 3rd 07, 01:06 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:06:41 -0700, mack wrote:
>

>>"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>>
>>>My '89 Mazda 626:
>>>I replaced the original tires with the cheapest ones I could find,

>>I cringed when I saw these words, Hachi, because a tire is the last type
>>of ANY product where it's a good idea to go on the cheap. Buy cheap
>>motor oil, cheap beer, cheap underwear, and cheap laundry detergent, and
>>though they may not be as good as the name brand, they'll get the job
>>done, and most importantly, they won't kill you. Cheap tires can, have
>>and will kill people.
>>Buy day old bread, margarine instead of butter, and second hand shirts
>>from Goodwill, but overpay for your tires. One blowout or tread
>>separation at highway speed, and you won't have to worry about anything
>>any more....ever.

> I cringed when I bought them.
>
> And I was REALLY steamed when, one week after putting the cheapest "All
> Season" tires I could on what was to be a winter car, Sears put real,
> honest to goodness Winter Goodyears on sale in the same size for $35 each...

Why? They likely weren't any better than what you bought.

nate

(not a big fan of Goodyear tires)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 3rd 07, 01:33 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
hls

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>> Winter Goodyears on sale in the same size for $35 each...
>>

> Why? They likely weren't any better than what you bought.
>
> nate
>
> (not a big fan of Goodyear tires)

I echo that sentiment, Nate.
And $35 is pretty cheap, for any type of "skin". I wouldnt risk my life
on that sort of rubber

Old September 3rd 07, 02:32 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
*

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote in article <Z3QCi.2457$es2.868@trndny09>...
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:32:48 -0700, EdV wrote:
>
> > Did you use the same tire pressure?

> Um, somewhat...
>
> The old tires were rated for 44 PSI, I kept them at ~40.
>
> These are rated for 35, and they are at 35.

Given the size tire you're talking about, I would tend to believe that you
are running them WAY overinflated for the size car they are mounted on. No
wonder they don't feel right!

Try running them at the car manufacturer's recommended pressures.

BTW - The figure on the tire sidewall isn't the tire pressure "rating". It
is the MAXIMUM pressure to be used when subjecting the tire to its MAXIMUM
loads.

Normal, every day tire pressures are usually quite a bit lower.

Old September 3rd 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:06:30 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:06:41 -0700, mack wrote:
>>

>>>"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>>I cringed when I saw these words, Hachi, because a tire is the last type
>>>of ANY product where it's a good idea to go on the cheap. Buy cheap
>>>motor oil, cheap beer, cheap underwear, and cheap laundry detergent, and
>>>though they may not be as good as the name brand, they'll get the job
>>>done, and most importantly, they won't kill you. Cheap tires can, have
>>>and will kill people.
>>>Buy day old bread, margarine instead of butter, and second hand shirts
>>>from Goodwill, but overpay for your tires. One blowout or tread
>>>separation at highway speed, and you won't have to worry about anything
>>>any more....ever.

>> I cringed when I bought them.
>>
>> And I was REALLY steamed when, one week after putting the cheapest "All
>> Season" tires I could on what was to be a winter car, Sears put real,
>> honest to goodness Winter Goodyears on sale in the same size for $35
>> each...
>>

> Why? They likely weren't any better than what you bought.
>
> nate
>
> (not a big fan of Goodyear tires)

It turns out these are Mastercraft tires...made in China

http://www.mastercrafttires.com/us/e...assenger+Tires

But I would have still rather had Goodyear. They probably came with a
better warranty.

Old September 3rd 07, 04:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:32:05 -0500, * wrote:

> Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote in article <Z3QCi.2457$es2.868@trndny09>...
>> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:32:48 -0700, EdV wrote:
>>
>> > Did you use the same tire pressure?

>> Um, somewhat...
>>
>> The old tires were rated for 44 PSI, I kept them at ~40.
>>
>> These are rated for 35, and they are at 35.
>>

> Given the size tire you're talking about, I would tend to believe that you
> are running them WAY overinflated for the size car they are mounted on. No
> wonder they don't feel right!
>
> Try running them at the car manufacturer's recommended pressures.
>
> BTW - The figure on the tire sidewall isn't the tire pressure "rating". It
> is the MAXIMUM pressure to be used when subjecting the tire to its MAXIMUM
> loads.
>
> Normal, every day tire pressures are usually quite a bit lower.

I always run my tires at or near full rated pressure. Have been for years!
I have never had any serious tire issues, and I get an extra mile or two
per gallon. I don't mind the ride (actually, I like the 'seat of the
pants' feel from fully inflated tires...)

I have had a couple sets of the tires I put on the Mazda, Akuret
Performance, made by Ohtsu in Japan. Very good tire. I have always run
them at max pressure, and have had no problems with them!

Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 07:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 01:36 AM
Quiet tires=soft tires? Frank Honda 8 March 16th 05 08:40 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 10:34 PM
Cleaning White Wall Tires Joe Hudon Antique cars 2 May 27th 04 06:21 AM