Best 4x4 vehicle for very long trips in remote wilderness?

Old March 3rd 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Best 4x4 vehicle for very long trips in remote wilderness?

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 01:56:58 GMT, SnoMan > wrote:

>except cost, range, and ungainly size too.

Cost:

Hey, it's only money...

Range:

500 miles for the dual tank versions (all later than 96).

Size:

He "Isn't that thing too big. Bet you have trouble going down every
trail!"

Me "Only when going in, coming out is easy..."

Well at least you didn't say ugly! <bg>
Old March 3rd 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Jeff Olsen wrote:

> I would recommend a good mid-90's Toyota Land Cruiser. You want one from
> between '92, when the engine got upgraded, and '97; after '97 they went to
> IFS and are less rugged.

I do agree! A Landcruiser, no doubt about that!
Erik-Jan.
Old March 3rd 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:06:26 +0100, Erik-Jan Geniets
> wrote:

>Jeff Olsen wrote:
>

>> I would recommend a good mid-90's Toyota Land Cruiser. You want one from
>> between '92, when the engine got upgraded, and '97; after '97 they went to
>> IFS and are less rugged.

>I do agree! A Landcruiser, no doubt about that!
>Erik-Jan.

Land cruiser would lack range and get same or worse MPG as a burb
(Land Cruisers have never been known for fuel efficency) and as
someone said earlier, it could be very hard to get a Toyota part in
the wilds if you needed one. I like Yota's but it would not be my
choice here.
Old March 4th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Howdy 223rem,
Unimog!¡
http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/campermog.htm

Frank X. Morris http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/ChimeandFriends

Old March 4th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:53:44 -0800, (Frank Morris)
wrote:

>Howdy 223rem,
> Unimog!¡

http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/campermog.htm

>Frank X. Morris http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/ChimeandFriends

GWagon... They have heat!

(But the Unimog wins on the cool factor, though!) <bg>
Old March 5th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

223rem wrote:

> Jeff Olsen wrote:
>
> > I would recommend a good mid-90's Toyota Land Cruiser.

> Thanks.
>
> Yes, I know that Land Cruiser has an excellent reputation.
>
> So it comes down to 2 vehicles: the Land Cruiser and the
> Chevy/GMC Suburban. A Suburban is a good choice because Chevys
> are very popular in those parts (I doubt the 'Indians'/'First Nations'
> can afford expensive imports, so if your Toyota breaks down you're
> stuck) and also because it can be had with a Diesel engine, and I imagine that
> Diesel fuel is easy to come by that gas (lumber trucks are very frequent there).

It is more likely the Chevy/GMC will break down at some point. The
Landcruiser probably won't.
You can get diesel everywhere. No problem.
Erik-Jan.
Old March 11th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

> Hmmm. I'd still go Land Cruiser. After the research I did, and after
> owning one for a year now, I think that they are quite possible the BEST
> vehicle of that type. Ever. Period. They are awesome in every way.
> Part
> support is much less an issue in a vehicle that literally almost never
> breaks. They are the absolute embodiement of a proven, heavy-duty,
> realiable, tough, chassis. Etc.
>
> -jeff

I agree the Land Cruiser is a great vehicle! I would however suggest you
look at the Jeep Cherokee (XJ), the parts are everywhere and the aftermarket
is endless. There is a great article in Off-Road Adventures Magazine about a
similar bouild.
http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssue...xpedition.html

- Derek

Old March 13th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

hi-1.A midsized pick-up./chevy-s-10/ ford-ranger/ ....
2.A lite-slide-in cab-over camper. 3.A 10 to 20 foot
trailer /one or two-axels for the heavy supplies and the extra
gas-cans/tools/truck-parts/tires/food/water/etc......

2oo6 marrer[RCA2100](2.9.1-16421) jm3
//nor.CAL.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for long-range forecasts of hurricane,
typhoon and cyclone worldwide
Address:http://tsr.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/ Changed:2:41 AM on Friday, September
9, 2005
| USGS Earthquake Hazards Program | Latest Earthquakes - Last 7 Days |
Address:http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
Fire Hazard Mapping System - Satellite Services Division
Address:http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/FIRE/hms.html ---
Global : Web Fire Maps
Address:http://maps.geog.umd.edu/Global_simp...22&ExtentTop=1
Thunderstorm Online Application Portal