New PC's FFB

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 8th 12, 08:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New PC's FFB

Mario Petrinovic:
FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
>FolkGT:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>>Mario Petrinovic:
>> So, it is actually all very easy, just put this value to 0.5, put
>>first of FFB settings (Overall) to whatever you like, put the rest of them
>>at 100% (I would also uncheck "Allow game to adjust settings"), put
>>in-game
>>FFB values at max., and set FOV so that you count in the distance from
>>eyes to the edge of table as 40 cm.
>>
>> Oh, it turned out that setting the hight of screen is also very
>>important.
>> BTW, I would definitely uncheck "Allow game to adjust settings".
>>This setting gives unlinearity to FFB.

>Interesting. I'm beta-testing pCARS right now and with that game you
>definitely have to check that option. I'm surprised other games don't
>have the same requirement.
>
> Are you having Damper, Spring and Centering Spring (Centering
> Spring
>unchecked) at 100%? Well, if you don't have, then some strange things
>happen
>(which are also unlinear), so, in that case, if game developer expects you
>to have unlinear FFB settings, he can try to flatten this unlinearity by
>adjusting settings (also in ulinear way). This is the case with iRacing,
>who is suggesting some non-linear FFB settings.

I see. The devs at pCARS recommend the following settings:

Overall Effects Strength: 100-104
Spring Effect Strength: 0
Damper Effect Strength: 0
Enable Centering Spring: Unchecked. (so it doesn't matter the setting)
Degrees of Rotation: 900 (different steering setups are done per car
within the game)
Allow game to adjust settings: Checked

Once I discussed this with Ade Allen, he made Real Feel plugin fo
rFactor, and he also didn't now that, and since the developers of both,
iRacing and pCARS don't mention this specifically anywhere, I presume that
they don't know too. Centering Spring works even if unchecked. Centering
Spring is a part of FFB, and it works so that if it is more than 100% it is
harder than natural for you to turn wheel away from center, and if it is
below 100% it is easier than natural (or something like that). Anyway, 100%
is the natural strength of FFB forces (this goes for Damper and Spring,
too).
When Centering Spring is checked, it works indepemdetly of FFB. IOW,
this checked Centering Spring ISN'T a part of FFB, but unchecked is a part
of FFB. If you see the description of this (put mouse arrow over the text),
you'll see that by checking it you "enable centering forces in force
feedback games which do not have a centering force". For force feedback
games that do have a centering force you don't have to check this box, and
this slider adjusts this force unchecked. It really is confusing (it was for
me, also), and there is nowhere an closer explaination, and the whole
simcommunity is convinced (just like you) that this slider doesn't work if
unchecked, but this isn't so. For example, iRacing recommends this slider to
be at 100%. Which means that iRacing's FFB works on "Overall", AND
"Centering Spring".

The placement of "Overall" is also interesting. "Overall" shouldn't
do anything, expect what the name suggests, changing the strength of forces,
nothing more. You should adjust that strength per your preference, and there
SHOULDN'T be a recommendation by game developer for this. In a well balanced
system (natural perspective, and FFB working like it is designed to work)
Overall doesn't do anything. I have it at 118%, but if I put it at 100%, or
at 150%, it behaves nearly the same, only the strength changes. But, we see
that game developers actually only work with the Overall, in a mean of
CHANGING FFB. It does have a sense on unbalanced system, where FFB behaves
diferently. And this is the problem of FFB. If unbalanced, it introduces
sinusoides, and by changing the Overall you are actually manipulating the
amplitude of those sinusoides, and thus you are adjusting FFB.

FFB latency Mario Petrinovic Simulators 2 March 20th 12 10:14 PM
FFB progress Mario Petrinovic Simulators 5 February 14th 12 04:36 PM
FFB (so far) Mario Petrinovic Simulators 0 September 25th 11 10:57 AM
FFB Mario Petrinovic Simulators 26 September 5th 11 08:52 AM
G25 v. ECCI - To FFB or not to FFB [email protected] Simulators 1 August 17th 07 02:35 PM