Valve cover cleaners

Old April 2nd 05, 07:37 PM
Nevadan

Default Valve cover cleaners

Anybody know the best thing to clean aluminum valve covers with.

Old April 2nd 05, 08:30 PM

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:37:42 -0800, "Nevadan"
> wrote:

>Anybody know the best thing to clean aluminum valve covers with.

sandpaper

hurc ast
Old April 2nd 05, 08:52 PM
John H

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:37:42 -0800, "Nevadan" > wrote:

>Anybody know the best thing to clean aluminum valve covers with.

If you're just talking grease and oil, I use mineral spirits in a spray bottle
for the aluminum parts on my motorcycle. There are some aluminum cleaners out
there, but be careful with them. If stray drops get on plastic or rubber, you
may end up with a lot of spotty parts.
--
John H

Old April 2nd 05, 09:33 PM
carl

Nevadan wrote:

> Anybody know the best thing to clean aluminum valve covers with.

if you want to get fairly aggressive a bead blaster using something mild
like glass beads or some synthetic plastic, corn cob, or walnut shell
will work. your local engine rebuilder can probably hook you up for an
hours labor or something else harbor freight has cabinets under 100
bucks. saw one in a kragen ad (you may not have kragen where you are)
for under 40 bucks. just know it takes an air compressor to drive it and
if you get one make sure window covers are available else your vision
will be blurred pretty quick. glas beads arent cheap either but last
quite awhile.
i have a bench top blast cabintet filled with glass beads that works
really well. if you use sand that will actually grain the surface pretty
bad, beads wont.
Old April 2nd 05, 11:48 PM
Spike

Might even check local tool rental places.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:33:02 -0800, carl > wrote:

>Nevadan wrote:
>
>> Anybody know the best thing to clean aluminum valve covers with.
>>

>if you want to get fairly aggressive a bead blaster using something mild
>like glass beads or some synthetic plastic, corn cob, or walnut shell
>will work. your local engine rebuilder can probably hook you up for an
>hours labor or something else harbor freight has cabinets under 100
>bucks. saw one in a kragen ad (you may not have kragen where you are)
>for under 40 bucks. just know it takes an air compressor to drive it and
>if you get one make sure window covers are available else your vision
>will be blurred pretty quick. glas beads arent cheap either but last
>quite awhile.
>i have a bench top blast cabintet filled with glass beads that works
>really well. if you use sand that will actually grain the surface pretty
>bad, beads wont.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 3 February 18th 05 05:34 AM
Chrome valve cover follies BK Mazda 4 November 29th 04 03:53 AM
Valve Cover Gaskets kits Stephen Gertsch Dodge 2 August 24th 04 11:30 PM
Valve cover leaking oil marx404 Saturn 4 May 28th 04 04:31 AM