99 Jetta flashing Glow Plug (again)

Old August 9th 05, 04:50 AM
Mike Smith

Default 99 Jetta flashing Glow Plug (again)

OK, for the 2nd time in a year, my damn glow plug is flashing again.
No brake lights when It is flashing too. Last time I replaced the
Brake switch and It is already bad again. So what is the deal? Is
there something else I can replace this time so I don't have to screw
with it again?

Mike
Old August 9th 05, 10:11 PM
Woodchuck

2nd time in a year, you doin' good! If you got no brake lights then check
the fuses, if OK then replace the switch with a purple one.

Old August 10th 05, 02:10 AM
Mike Smith

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:11:10 -0400, "Woodchuck" >
wrote:

>2nd time in a year, you doin' good! If you got no brake lights then check
>the fuses, if OK then replace the switch with a purple one.

It is on its second purple one now :-(

No brake lights while flashing. When it stops flashing brake lights
work again.

So, I take it there is no real 'fix' for it, eh? Just like the damn
windows I never roll down :-)

Thanks

Mike
Old August 10th 05, 02:44 AM
Woodchuck

It's very odd that there would be 2 bad switches. I have never had to
replace the purple switch yet. Eh, I take it you are from the Great White
North, if so is it still covered by parts warranty?

Old August 12th 05, 09:56 PM
Mike Smith

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:44:52 -0400, "Woodchuck" >
wrote:

>It's very odd that there would be 2 bad switches. I have never had to
>replace the purple switch yet. Eh, I take it you are from the Great White
>North, if so is it still covered by parts warranty?

Nope, I am in Florida but the car is a rescue from Pennsylvania. I
wish the part was covered from VW but nope.

I bought the car about a year ago and had to replace the purple switch
which was in there already with a new one. I need to find a deal on a
5 pack I guess and just keep them on hand.

I am not complaining too much about it but I have had minor issues
with:

Brake lights

Windows falling into doors (once) got fixed by VW for free and hardly
ever roll down the windows now

windshield washer not working twice, probably an easy fix again,
currently broken

horrible AM radio reception, even with a new Sony radio, and a new
factory antenna. The only thing not replaced is the cable which
connects the radio to the antenna. If I knew that would fix it I
would do it but at this point, we don't know.

Shifter broken which resulted in a $400 dealer repair (so far this has
been the worst problem to date.)

I have 86K on the clock so I plan on keeping it for a while as we
approach $3-$4 fuel prices.

Mike
Old August 13th 05, 02:35 AM
Woodchuck

As for the radio don't waste your time replacing the ant unless you have a
OEM radio. The VW has an internal amp that is powered by the VW OEM radio.

Old August 13th 05, 03:40 AM
Mike Smith

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:35:19 -0400, "Woodchuck"
> wrote:

>As for the radio don't waste your time replacing the ant unless you have a
>OEM radio. The VW has an internal amp that is powered by the VW OEM radio.
>

>> horrible AM radio reception, even with a new Sony radio, and a new
>> factory antenna. The only thing not replaced is the cable which
>> connects the radio to the antenna. If I knew that would fix it I
>> would do it but at this point, we don't know.

So do you know why I can't hear AM radio? I have a Sony MP3 player
AM/FM/CD which replaced the factory radio. Should I use a differnt
antenna or something?