Will 2001 Bullit rims fit on an '05 GT

Old August 10th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lxixboss

Default Will 2001 Bullit rims fit on an '05 GT

Straightforward question: Will the Bullit rims from a 2001 GT fit (and
fit well) on a 2005 GT. I know that the aspect ratio of the tires on
my '01 Bullit rims (245/45-17) is quite a bit lower than what Ford now
puts on the '05 Bullit rims (245/55-17, I believe). If the rims fit,
will the tire profile affect handling, stance, etc. I am considering
buying an '05 GT that has the base (and in my opinion, rather ugly) GT
rims for that year while I have a set of '01 Bullits that I had bought
for my '65 fastback (I was pulled over by a local OPP (Ontario
Provincial Police) constable who told me that I had to remove them
from my '65 because they were unsafe... I was using 1.25" billet
spacers on all four wheels). Anyway, will they fit?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

'65 A-code, 4-speed Shelby clone fastback
'62 Austin-Healey 3000 replica (with a 302, C4, 8-inch powertrain)
Old August 10th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_21_]

lxixboss > wrote in news:c7eb5475-9ad0-467b-
:

> Straightforward question: Will the Bullit rims from a 2001 GT fit (and
> fit well) on a 2005 GT. I know that the aspect ratio of the tires on
> my '01 Bullit rims (245/45-17) is quite a bit lower than what Ford now
> puts on the '05 Bullit rims (245/55-17, I believe). If the rims fit,
> will the tire profile affect handling, stance, etc. I am considering
> buying an '05 GT that has the base (and in my opinion, rather ugly) GT
> rims for that year while I have a set of '01 Bullits that I had bought
> for my '65 fastback (I was pulled over by a local OPP (Ontario
> Provincial Police) constable who told me that I had to remove them
> from my '65 because they were unsafe... I was using 1.25" billet
> spacers on all four wheels). Anyway, will they fit?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard
>
> '65 A-code, 4-speed Shelby clone fastback
> '62 Austin-Healey 3000 replica (with a 302, C4, 8-inch powertrain)

The bolt pattern is the same but you'll want to check the
offset/backspacing. The '99+ SN95 17x9 typically run 24mm offset/5.64"
backspacing, while the S197 are usually 45mm/6.75". So they'll fit; they'll
just stick out more if they are the typical offset. I know it's been done
because of posters elsewhere on the net but I've never seen the results in
person so I can't comment on how it looks .

Handling shouldn't really be affected too much although they'll create a
wider track which should make it a tad bit more grippy on the corners.

The only other issue is that taller profile. That's about 2" in total
diameter worth of difference, or an increase in the speedo reading, and
odometer mileage, of about 7%. In the long run that might be an issue.

Dan
P49Y83+
Old August 11th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scott W.

"lxixboss" > wrote in message
> Straightforward question: Will the Bullit rims from a 2001 GT fit (and
> fit well) on a 2005 GT. I know that the aspect ratio of the tires on
> my '01 Bullit rims (245/45-17) is quite a bit lower than what Ford now
> puts on the '05 Bullit rims (245/55-17, I believe). If the rims fit,
> will the tire profile affect handling, stance, etc. I am considering
> buying an '05 GT that has the base (and in my opinion, rather ugly) GT
> rims for that year while I have a set of '01 Bullits that I had bought
> for my '65 fastback (I was pulled over by a local OPP (Ontario
> Provincial Police) constable who told me that I had to remove them
> from my '65 because they were unsafe... I was using 1.25" billet
> spacers on all four wheels). Anyway, will they fit?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard

My understanding is the backspacing is greater on the new '05+ wheels so you
may need a spacer. And for the OPP. He's an idiot. He'll need to run around
and tell all the thousands upon thousands of those putting them on classics
with spacers and never had a problem. And that's just the Mustangs, not
counting all the other makes/models that people use spacers and conversion
adapters to go from 4 lug to 5 lug and reverse.

Scott W.
'69 Sportsroof (soon to have '05 GT wheels "with 1.5" spacers")
'68 Ranchero 500

Old August 11th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Scott W. wrote:
> "lxixboss" > wrote in message
>> Straightforward question: Will the Bullit rims from a 2001 GT fit (and
>> fit well) on a 2005 GT. I know that the aspect ratio of the tires on
>> my '01 Bullit rims (245/45-17) is quite a bit lower than what Ford now
>> puts on the '05 Bullit rims (245/55-17, I believe). If the rims fit,
>> will the tire profile affect handling, stance, etc. I am considering
>> buying an '05 GT that has the base (and in my opinion, rather ugly) GT
>> rims for that year while I have a set of '01 Bullits that I had bought
>> for my '65 fastback (I was pulled over by a local OPP (Ontario
>> Provincial Police) constable who told me that I had to remove them
>> from my '65 because they were unsafe... I was using 1.25" billet
>> spacers on all four wheels). Anyway, will they fit?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Richard

> My understanding is the backspacing is greater on the new '05+ wheels so you
> may need a spacer. And for the OPP. He's an idiot. He'll need to run around
> and tell all the thousands upon thousands of those putting them on classics
> with spacers and never had a problem. And that's just the Mustangs, not
> counting all the other makes/models that people use spacers and conversion
> adapters to go from 4 lug to 5 lug and reverse.
>
> Scott W.
> '69 Sportsroof (soon to have '05 GT wheels "with 1.5" spacers")
> '68 Ranchero 500

The best person to axe that question is someone on the phone at a
place that manufactures and sells after market rims.

--

"Over here is a chance for a meal,
a young boobie. That's a bird..." - SurvivorMan