2000 Saturn LW2 IAT Sensor location?

Old August 23rd 05, 06:37 PM
news

Default 2000 Saturn LW2 IAT Sensor location?

Anyone know where exactly the IAT sensor is on this 3.0 L V6 (comes from
Saab) engine? I've looked all over the intake area, can't find it. The
sensor is small, has a
two-wire plug.

DTC error indicated a bad IAT, P0113 "IAT sensor 1 circuit high input".

TIA

Old August 23rd 05, 07:00 PM
news

In 2000, they called it an LW2. In 2001 Saturn changed to LW200, or L200.
WHen I look at my MAF, it's nothing but a tube with a grill at one end. I
just replaced a bad MAF so I know it's not in the tube.

I've looked all around the airbox, took off the cover and looked under the
filter etc. No wires, sensor mounts or sensors that I can see. Still can't
find it.

Old August 23rd 05, 07:20 PM
Oppie

I thought that the LW2xx was a 4 banger. I have an '01 LW300 which is a 3L,
6Cyl.
On mine, the MAF is in that tube with a grille on one end between the
throttle body and the air filter. I can check the electrical connections
later in the book but I think that it includes the intake air temperature
sense too. The grille is to straighten out the airflow and reduce turbulence
as the flow goes over the MAF element.
Where did the Saab come from, I thought that the powerplant was designed in
Germany by Opel.

. ..

Old August 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
news

Supposedly, Opel (GM) got the engine design from Saab, then incorporated it
into Opel's line, then Saturn. But I think the Saab design was intended to
be turbo charged, and was at Saab. Just stuff I heard around the net on this
motor.

Well, Ill take ANOTHER look at this MAF. Maybe the IAT sensor goes inside
it.

news:1124821106.074a1655e2b2ed2449a51ddab5ed3344@t eranews...

Old August 23rd 05, 09:38 PM
news

IAT Sensor NOT in, on or around MAF sensor, on this motor...

Anyone?

.. .

Old August 23rd 05, 10:52 PM
blah blah

The engine is built in England. As to who designed it I am not sure but
it is in my opinion a **** poor design. My manual calls the LW2 a LW200
in 2000. Anyhow...

> IAT Sensor NOT in, on or around MAF sensor, on this motor...

YES THE MAF AND IAT are all in the same UNIT. I'm looking right here at
an image of the schematics which clearly show the 2 sensors sharing the
same wiring. There are purple/white and gray wires. Here's the removal
and install procedures:
Mass Air Flow (MAF)/Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure

Object Number: 897187 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Disconnect the mass air flow (MAF) sensor harness.
3. Remove the hose clamps from each end of the MAF sensor and remove
the MAF sensor.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 897187 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

1. Install the MAF sensor to the air cleaner box with the attachment
clamps. Make sure the clamps are tight.
2. Connect the MAF sensor harness connector. Push the connector in
until the lock position is felt, then pull back to confirm engagement.

Need more proof than that?

In article >,
says...

Old August 24th 05, 07:11 PM
news

Hmm this is odd. I bought a new MAF as I was getting DTC P0102 MAF Circuit
Low input. I was also getting P0113 IAT Sensor 1 High Input. So, NAPA looks
up the par ts for each. A new MAF was ordered and put in- $89. They also
ordered a IAT sensor for about $12. This thing does not look like it can go
in the MAF in any way, unless MAYBE you dissasemmble the MAF connector
housing (which is held on by two screws but look like you shouldn't open it)
and replace the innards.

What a ****-poor way to design the thing. The only part that can fail is the
MAF innards (possibley what they are calling the IAT). SO if you IAT fails,
your MAF fails. And, you should never have to buy a new MAF, unless it gets
crushed in an accident or rusts out or something. But it's not real clear at
all (esp to the auto parts people) the two are one and the same.

So now, if correct, I should have an extra IAT for when it the new MAF
fails, which, being a Saturn part, shouldn't be too long. LOL

Thanks for the info. I really should get the manual for this f...... thing.
At first I just really disliked looking under the hood of this thing. But
now, I comprehend the true horror of what it is I bought back in 2000. As
you have pointed out, being an ENGLISH design, I now understand why it is so
completely whack.

What would you expect from a country that has no remaining,
domestically-owned auto manufacturers....there is a reason for that, they
simply don't know how to build 'em.

Maybe someone will steal it and I can dump it that way. Maybe, if I leave
some cash on the hood, the keys in the ignition, and the car running, with a
full tank of gas, a stash of crack and weed in the glovebox, and a case of
cold 40 ouncers in the cargo area, and finally- a paid-for, semi-nude,
semi-concious ho on extasy in the passenger seat and leave it in the worst
ghetto-fied neighborhood in the biggest government housing project I can
find.

Maybe.

THANKS!

Old August 24th 05, 11:28 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"news" > wrote:

> What a ****-poor way to design the thing. The only part that can fail is the
> MAF innards (possibley what they are calling the IAT). SO if you IAT fails,
> your MAF fails. And, you should never have to buy a new MAF, unless it gets
> crushed in an accident or rusts out or something. But it's not real clear at
> all (esp to the auto parts people) the two are one and the same.

Actually, IIRC, the MAF is a 'hot wire' type and needs the air temp
anyway, so the IAT signal is probbably just extracted out at the right
point and sent along to the computer.
Old August 25th 05, 12:41 AM
blah blah

Its possible one is causing the code for the other. If there is
something wrong with the wiring for one then the other will have issues
as well I think. Since the IAT sensor was the cheapest try installing it
on your old MAF unit and see if that corrects the issue. That could save
you 90 bucks.

Yeah those 3.0's arent pretty to look at.

In article >,
says...
> [...]

> > Object Number: 897187 Size: SH
> > Click here for detailed picture of above image.
> >
> > 1. Install the MAF sensor to the air cleaner box with the attachment
> > clamps. Make sure the clamps are tight.
> > 2. Connect the MAF sensor harness connector. Push the connector in
> > until the lock position is felt, then pull back to confirm engagement.
> >
> > Need more proof than that?
> >

> > In article >,

> > says...
> >> Supposedly, Opel (GM) got the engine design from Saab, then incorporated
> >> it
> >> into Opel's line, then Saturn. But I think the Saab design was intended
> >> be turbo charged, and was at Saab. Just stuff I heard around the net on
> >> this
> >> motor.
> >>
> >> Well, Ill take ANOTHER look at this MAF. Maybe the IAT sensor goes inside

Saturn horror stories- could (will) happen to you! [email protected] Saturn 3 June 22nd 05 12:49 AM
Why all the cracked heads, oil burning,etc. here? [email protected] Saturn 11 March 28th 05 09:39 PM
SATURN SL-1 2000 Automatic Transmission problems... Milos Milisavljevic Saturn 2 February 26th 05 10:12 PM
2000 Saturn Vibration Ron Bruno Saturn 2 October 12th 04 01:32 AM
Saturn Lemons- epidemic flaws, engine cracks, ball joints misterfact Antique cars 0 January 6th 04 06:04 PM