Replace master cylinder with ABS

Old July 19th 05, 05:22 PM
John Doe

Default Replace master cylinder with ABS

1993 Saturn sedan with ABS, 1.9 DOHC

HI,

It appears master cylinder is leaky- no fluid leaks, but pedal mysteriously
drops while sitting at a light sometimes, slight release of foot pressure
then press down and to the floor it goes.

I picked up a Chiltons book and this appears to be a PAIN to do.
Apparently, the entire ABS assembly, including internal gears, need to be
removed just to access the bolts to disconnect master cylinder. It does
look like I could handle it but there are a few major problems:

The book says "The abs modulator pistons are normally in the home or top
position. In this position, the modulator drive gears are under spring
tension and will turn during disassembly if not unloaded. The sudden
rotation of gears and release of tension could cause injury if done without
extreme care. It is recommended that the pistons be run down and the
tension released prior to removing the brake control assembly..."

Question 1) How do a "extreme care" OR am I expected to buy some $$$$ scan
tool to program the pistons down?

Well, one question is enough for now. Thanks for any help,

Dave