Smog issues | Ion 2003

Old July 18th 05, 08:12 PM
acooper

Default Smog issues | Ion 2003

So, I go to smog my car in Las Vegas, Nevada. Here we have smog shops
located around the valley at gas stations and such. They are pretty
inexpensive, anywheres from 15.99 to 19.99. Apparently my good old
Saturn has a new computer and they are not required to upgrade so they
can't perform the smog check. They tell me I must go to the dealer. The
dealer wants to charge me, of course, 35 dollars. I'm ticked. Everyone
else gets an inexpensive smog...

What's the deal?

Andy Cooper
2003 Saturn Ion 2 Coupe

Old July 19th 05, 02:05 PM
Paul

Here in PA it is $75 at most places for emissions testing. The put the
car on a treadmill and run it.

Paul

Old July 19th 05, 06:05 PM
Steve

"acooper" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So, I go to smog my car in Las Vegas, Nevada. Here we have smog shops
> located around the valley at gas stations and such. They are pretty
> inexpensive, anywheres from 15.99 to 19.99. Apparently my good old
> Saturn has a new computer and they are not required to upgrade so they
> can't perform the smog check. They tell me I must go to the dealer. The
> dealer wants to charge me, of course, 35 dollars. I'm ticked. Everyone
> else gets an inexpensive smog...
>
> What's the deal?
>
> Andy Cooper
> 2003 Saturn Ion 2 Coupe

Is this a local, state or federal requirement or just something you
would like to do? When we had this kind of thing in Michigan, Saturns were
exempt from the testing requirement for something like this reason. You may
want to check with the unit of government that is requiring it (if any).

Old July 20th 05, 02:19 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article .com>,
"Paul" > wrote:

> Here in PA it is $75 at most places for emissions testing. The put the
> car on a treadmill and run it.

They include a tube of KY jelly for that $75?

It still amazes me how the public fell for the whole scheme in the first
place. Sure they fail 10-15% of the cars tested. That's because the
EPA requires it, or the system's considered 'ineffective'. Even more of
a scam is the so called 'remote sensing' technology, which even the
manufacturers of it admit doesn't work.