"service engine soon" on '93 SL1

Old July 2nd 05, 03:47 PM
Bob Shuman

Get the engine code. My guess given the lack of any other information and
with the 112K mileage (later message) stated is the EGR valve. I'd also
suggest a good cleaning of the throttle body to address the rough idle if
the engine was recently tuned.

Bob

ps.com...

Old July 2nd 05, 09:29 PM
J Swain

AutoZone stores will read the codes for free...others may as well.

Bob Shuman wrote:

>Get the engine code. My guess given the lack of any other information and
>with the 112K mileage (later message) stated is the EGR valve. I'd also
>suggest a good cleaning of the throttle body to address the rough idle if
>the engine was recently tuned.
>
> Bob

ups.com...

Old July 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
Weezay

Ive had the codes read on two separate occasions in the last MONTH -
first set were P0300,P0341, P0656 - replaced fuel pump. 2nd set of
codes were P0300,P0341 - I now realized those are the same codes yet
they replaced a NEW part - ignition module. I still have the rough
idle even though I was assured by the dealer who serviced it that the
idle was gone. I also replaced 4 tires which stopped the car shaking,
although I think I still feel it shake a little bit still.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:53 PM
Weezay

First time code also included P0171 - these guys are most likely
ripping me off blind.

Old July 8th 05, 11:34 PM
M. Lawson

I had a similar problem with the car idling rough (kind of bucking) and
replaced a butt load of parts. Turned out to be the EGR valve.

Old July 12th 05, 03:45 PM

Sounds familiar. My '96 SL/1 idles a bit rough but runs fine. Engine
light comes on periodically. I ignore it. Brought it to mechanic for
its annual state inspection sticker. It passed the safety inspection,
but he told me he could not give me one because of the multitude of
sensor fault codes in the computer. I disconnected the battery to clear
the computer, and drove it for 200 miles. Brought it back to him, and
he stated I hadn't driven it enough for the computer to report
anything. I drove another 150 miles, all this without an inspection
sticker, and sure enough the engine light came on as I was driving it
to the mechanic! He stated the same bunch of codes were back in there
and it would be costly to diagnose and repair this situation. Its a
'96, worth at best $2000. http://www.kbb.com// I see you have already
spent about $800. Not me. Bought it new. Got 120,000 miles. I got my
money worth. I'll run it till she dies. Or, you wanna make me an offer?

Next thing you will need is an oxygen sensor, a catylytic sensor,
temperature sensor... cha ching! Cut your losses.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:24 AM
DigitoNut

On 3 Jul 2005 08:51:45 -0700, Weezay > wrote:

> Ive had the codes read on two separate occasions in the last MONTH -
> first set were P0300,P0341, P0656 - replaced fuel pump. 2nd set of
> codes were P0300,P0341 - I now realized those are the same codes yet
> they replaced a NEW part - ignition module. I still have the rough
> idle even though I was assured by the dealer who serviced it that the
> idle was gone. I also replaced 4 tires which stopped the car shaking,
> although I think I still feel it shake a little bit still.

If your vehicle is sohc and code P0300 indicates general misfires. After
having
done all mentioned, the intake manifold gasket maybe leaking. a quick
check can
confirm the condition - you will need a spray can of carburetor clean, to
check
you need to spray the carb clean at the intake manifold gasket at cylinder
#1 area.
If the engine shudders it means the intake gasket is leaking. You will need
to correct problem asap, or unburn fuel will do damage to the catalytic
converter.