"service engine soon" on '93 SL1

Old June 20th 05, 01:18 PM

Default "service engine soon" on '93 SL1

My '93 SL1 with 143k miles suddenly had the SES light come on a couple
days ago. The light only comes on going 65 mph or greater on an upward
incline, or at 68-70 mph minimum on flat ground. Any idea what this
could be? It recently barely failed an emissions test, but I didn't
drive it much before the test.

Since I started a new job right down the street, I've very rarely
driven the car at highway speeds in the last 6 months.

I've been reading posts about how to acquire the trouble code, and
haven't had a chance to look at the car yet, but might as well ask now
if the connector that needs to be jumped is merely under the dashboard,
or is it inside the dashboard?

Old June 20th 05, 04:47 PM

Actually to amend my first post - I used a paperclip to get the fault
code (this is all new to me), there is only one: 26 "quad driver output
fault"

It appears it could be the following: EGR solenoid (no EGR fault 32
though), evap canister purge solenoid, coolant fan relay, A/C relay,
speedometer output, coolant hot light, and traction control in '93
automatic model.

The compressor on this car has been dead since I bought it, and it
never sent out any faults before. As far as I know, the coolant fan is
functional as of last week, but better check again. The engine was
running cool when this occurred. Canister purge solenoid, whatever
that does, is suspect...guess for a $15 part it's worth replacing.
Sounds like it craps out on tons of Saturns in this year range.

Old June 21st 05, 01:43 PM

> Canister purge solenoid, whatever that does, is suspect...

This seems likely. My wife's car had similar symptoms (SES came on
while driving at medium to high speeds, Code 26) and it was the
canister purge solenoid. It's a bit of a pain to get to but if you get
under the car and use a mirror to look at the back of the engine it's
not so bad.

Could also be the EGR valve solenoid.

Tim.

Old July 1st 05, 06:19 PM
Weezay

Well, my SES light came on in my 97 SC1 and I was also experiencing a
rough idle. Had fuel pump replaced ($450) - light goes off. Few weeks
later, comes on again!!! Now I have to get something called an ignition
module replaced($330). They say it will fix the rough idle (dealer
mind you, yeah I know I know) and it does NOT. I dont know what else
to do. IT is also going close to overheating in traffic as well which
Im told is OK as long as it doesnt go into the red. Are these guys
rooking me or what? So, Im concerned about the rough idle. Any ideas?

Old July 1st 05, 06:21 PM
Weezay

How did you use a paperclip to get the SES code?

Old July 1st 05, 07:45 PM
Weezay

112000 and YES, I also had a tune up which I prob didnt need because I
had one a year ago. Ive spent 1500 in the last month and I'm about to
pull my hair out!

Old July 1st 05, 07:45 PM
Weezay

Old July 1st 05, 07:45 PM