1996 Saturn SL1 SES Code

Old June 10th 05, 01:50 AM
PjTheJester PjTheJester is offline
Junior Member

Question 1996 Saturn SL1 SES Code

I have a 1996 Saturn SL1 automatic transmission. The SES light came on and I went to Autozone to get the code checked. Code is P0404 which relates back to the EGR valve. I have tried to clean it once, although I'm not sure how well of a job I did. Two questions:

1) How much is an EGR valve for a 1996 Saturn SL1 automatic?

2) I have been told that the part is discontinued for my make and model car. I was quoted $196 for a new EGR valve from AutoZone when I know others have gotten the same part cheaper, MUCH cheaper. Can this thing really be cleaned well enough to pass inspection w/out forking out a couple hundred dollars?

Thanks!
Ashley
Old June 14th 05, 08:45 AM
Semi Head

2 months ago, my 95 SC-2 EGR valve was $176 plus tax from SAT-dealer.
I even had to get the computer reprogrammed after i replace the EGR.
It was $80 from dealership but could have had it done for $25 elsewhere.

if you ever hope for a good running automobile again, that EGR valve
must be replace,
Many times, EGRs get too corroded & the spring action never returns
fully.
Get computer reprogrammed, too, it does make a difference.

S_H

..

Old June 14th 05, 12:55 PM
Bob Shuman

Exactly what got re-programmed? As far as I know, all they needed to do was
clear the fault codes from the computer's "history". You can make the light
go out by simply removing the battery cable after you replaced the EGR. I'm
curious what they did for the $80.

Bob

Old June 14th 05, 11:19 PM
Semi Head

Beats me. Reset the computers software back to factory setting i think.