Is it just BMW that does not recommend tire rotation?

Old May 13th 05, 05:40 AM
Shaft Drive

Default Is it just BMW that does not recommend tire rotation?

Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?

>From the BMW shop manual:

Tire rotation
The tread wear patterns at the front end
differ from those at the rear - the actual
patterns will vary according to individual
driving conditions. In the interests
of safety and maintaining optimal
handling characteristics, BMW does not
recommend tire rotation.

If a proposed interaxle rotation of tires
is based on economic considerations,
one should consider whether the costs
for the rotation are likely to be recaptured
by any increase in the service life
of the tires that might be realized. In
principle, interaxle rotation must be
performed in short intervals, with a
maximum of 3,000 miles (5,000 km).
Consult your BMW center for more
information.

Should you decide to rotate the tires, it
is essential to comply with the following:
Rotate tires on the same side only, since
braking characteristics and road grip
could otherwise be adversely affected.
Following rotation, the tire inflation
pressure should always be corrected.
If different tire sizes are mounted
on the front and rear axles (refer to
page 130), the wheels may not be
rotated from one axle to the other.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55120
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36893
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69037

Old May 13th 05, 06:33 AM
y_p_w

Shaft Drive wrote:

> Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?

The info you provided sounds like they might be referring to
purpose-built front and rear tires of the same size. Some
high-end BMWs have larger tires on the rear axle.

Pirelli's PZero system includes a directional tire for the
front, and an asymmetric tire for the rear. I believe they're
optimized for RWD cars.

<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+System+ Direzionale>
Old May 13th 05, 07:00 AM
fbloogyudsr

"y_p_w" > wrote
> Shaft Drive wrote:
>> Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?

> The info you provided sounds like they might be referring to
> purpose-built front and rear tires of the same size. Some
> high-end BMWs have larger tires on the rear axle.

The info is the same in virtually all BMW owner manuals, for
all tire combinations including same-size front/rear. For instance,
my '01 330xi (same size all round - has to be!) recommends
against it. So does the manual for my '91 E34 525i.

The front tires tend to wear asymmetrically; more wear on the
outside/outboard edges than in the center and inside edge.
This happens *even if* the car is perfectly aligned.

Floyd
Old May 13th 05, 09:55 AM
R. Mark Clayton

"Shaft Drive" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?

Some tyre can only rotate in one direction, so these can't be turned around
on the rim and could only be swapped between the front and back on the same
side and then only if the tyres are the same size (otherwise you will go
round in circles!). So you may not be able to swap any tyres on some models
/ wheels.

Generally speaking rear tyres tend to wear in the middle, especially if you
do a lot of motorway work whereas the fronts tend to wear at the edge
(especially outside - so some tyres can be turned or rim swapped to even
this wear up). As it happens all my 7 series have had standard tyres which
are all the same size, so when the fronts wear down, I move the rears to the
front and put new tyres on the rear.

Old May 13th 05, 05:04 PM
Steve

Shaft Drive wrote:

> Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?

Well, I can think of several cars right off the top of my head (Dodge
Viper, for one) where there is a different configuration tire for each
corner of the car, and so rotation isn't even possible. ANY car that
uses unidirectional tires AND different size tires front and rear falls
into that category.

Old May 13th 05, 05:11 PM
Mike Romain

Some, like both of my Jeep owners manuals also recommend only front to
back rotation with the spare going to the main drive wheel, the RR and
the RF going to the spare.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 13th 05, 05:27 PM
ray

Steve wrote:
> Shaft Drive wrote:
>
>> Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?
>>

> Well, I can think of several cars right off the top of my head (Dodge
> Viper, for one) where there is a different configuration tire for each
> corner of the car, and so rotation isn't even possible. ANY car that
> uses unidirectional tires AND different size tires front and rear falls
> into that category.

Vettes - 97 & up - different size wheels on the front and back. tires
are directional, so rotating isn't possible without dismounting the
tires. Don't own one, so can't tell you what the manual says, but if I
owned one I wouldn't rotate the tires.

Some 80's Camaros had wheels with different offset for front and rear
with directional tires, so same problem.

For my 01 Trans Am it recommends rotating front-rear on the same side.

I think the Acura NSX had a unique tire at each corner as well.
Old May 13th 05, 07:51 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
Shaft Drive > wrote:
> Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?

Tyre rotation hasn't made much sense since ever.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 14th 05, 10:15 AM
Thomas & Sons Cycle Shop

In article >, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:
>> Do any other manufacturers other than BMW not recommend tire rotation?

>Tyre rotation hasn't made much sense since ever.

I agree. So does BMW.
Even for same size unidirectional tires on all four corners.

According to BMW, the only time tire rotation makes sense on a
rear-wheel-drive performance vehicle is if you do it yourself every 3000 miles
(before any wear becomes too great to affect handling).

On rear-wheel-drive performance automobiles, once you pass the 3000 mile mark,
you start noticeably wearing the rears in the center and the fronts on the
side. At this 3000-mile point-of-no-return, adverse handling will occur if you
rotate.

If you do rotate within the 3000 mile limit, make sure you readjust the
pressure differential between the rears and the front or you'll have other
handling problems you didn't bargain for.

Also, if you do rotate, use any pattern you like (crossing sides at random,
using the fifth tire, changing rotation direction, etc). Studies have shown
that none of these rotation patterns adversly affect anything and none are any
better than any other rotation pattern. Again, if you pass the 3000 mile point
of no return, stop rotating for the life of those tires (should get you at
least 30,000 miles depending on how aggressively you drive).

If you have a front-wheel-drive econobox (all fwd cars are compromises for
the sake of costs), things might be different though I've no experience with
low-performance fwd cars.
Old May 14th 05, 11:57 AM
zerouali

Tyre rotation seems to be a mainly American thing, no one else ever really
mentions or uses it, as far as I've seen. Any particular reason for this?

"Thomas & Sons Cycle Shop" > wrote in
message ...