90 Grand Voyager Transmission fluid

Old April 13th 05, 02:06 AM

Default 90 Grand Voyager Transmission fluid

HI,

I know this is an old topic that has been discussed for a long
time. But I still have a couple questions.

I have a 1990 Grand Voyager SE (3.3L). The transmission was
replaced in 2000 at 81K miles. The replacement is a Mopar
reman transmission (part number R4741744-AA). Note: the
transmission controller was not replaced. I do not know
exactly what type of transmission fluid was used with
the replacement tranny.

The replacement transmission has been in operation for more
than four years now, and I added another 40K miles on the
vehicle. I believe it's about time to have the transmission
serviced.

Questions:
1) should I have the transmission flushed, in addition to
changing the fluid? should the filter be replaced?

2) I read from this ng that ATF+3 or, preferably ATF+4, should
be used. But this is a reman transmission. What kind of
transmission should I use.

Thanks for any helpful info.
Ted

Old April 13th 05, 01:15 PM
Richard

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> HI,
>
> I know this is an old topic that has been discussed for a long
> time. But I still have a couple questions.
>
> I have a 1990 Grand Voyager SE (3.3L). The transmission was
> replaced in 2000 at 81K miles. The replacement is a Mopar
> reman transmission (part number R4741744-AA). Note: the
> transmission controller was not replaced. I do not know
> exactly what type of transmission fluid was used with
> the replacement tranny.
>
> The replacement transmission has been in operation for more
> than four years now, and I added another 40K miles on the
> vehicle. I believe it's about time to have the transmission
> serviced.
>
> Questions:
> 1) should I have the transmission flushed, in addition to
> changing the fluid? should the filter be replaced?
>
> 2) I read from this ng that ATF+3 or, preferably ATF+4, should
> be used. But this is a reman transmission. What kind of
> transmission should I use.
>
> Thanks for any helpful info.
> Ted

1. Don't Flush.
2. Do change fluid and filter.
3. Use ATF+3.

Richard

Old April 13th 05, 10:17 PM

Richard wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > HI,
> >
> > I know this is an old topic that has been discussed for a long
> > time. But I still have a couple questions.
> >
> > I have a 1990 Grand Voyager SE (3.3L). The transmission was
> > replaced in 2000 at 81K miles. The replacement is a Mopar
> > reman transmission (part number R4741744-AA). Note: the
> > transmission controller was not replaced. I do not know
> > exactly what type of transmission fluid was used with
> > the replacement tranny.
> >
> > The replacement transmission has been in operation for more
> > than four years now, and I added another 40K miles on the
> > vehicle. I believe it's about time to have the transmission
> > serviced.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1) should I have the transmission flushed, in addition to
> > changing the fluid? should the filter be replaced?
> >
> > 2) I read from this ng that ATF+3 or, preferably ATF+4, should
> > be used. But this is a reman transmission. What kind of
> > transmission should I use.
> >
> > Thanks for any helpful info.
> > Ted

> 1. Don't Flush.
> 2. Do change fluid and filter.
> 3. Use ATF+3.
>
> Richard

I agree. The TSB about fluid says that 1999 and before minivans should
not use ATF+4. I am curious as to why earlier minivans are excluded.

-Kirk Matheson

Old April 14th 05, 08:01 AM
Treeline

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Richard wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > HI,
> > >
> > > I know this is an old topic that has been discussed for a long
> > > time. But I still have a couple questions.
> > >
> > > I have a 1990 Grand Voyager SE (3.3L). The transmission was
> > > replaced in 2000 at 81K miles. The replacement is a Mopar
> > > reman transmission (part number R4741744-AA). Note: the
> > > transmission controller was not replaced. I do not know
> > > exactly what type of transmission fluid was used with
> > > the replacement tranny.
> > >
> > > The replacement transmission has been in operation for more
> > > than four years now, and I added another 40K miles on the
> > > vehicle. I believe it's about time to have the transmission
> > > serviced.
> > >
> > > Questions:
> > > 1) should I have the transmission flushed, in addition to
> > > changing the fluid? should the filter be replaced?
> > >
> > > 2) I read from this ng that ATF+3 or, preferably ATF+4, should
> > > be used. But this is a reman transmission. What kind of
> > > transmission should I use.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any helpful info.
> > > Ted

> > 1. Don't Flush.
> > 2. Do change fluid and filter.
> > 3. Use ATF+3.
> >
> > Richard

> I agree. The TSB about fluid says that 1999 and before minivans should
> not use ATF+4. I am curious as to why earlier minivans are excluded.
>
> -Kirk Matheson

The transmission controller module or TCM does not need to be replaced unless
it is defective which is probably quite rare. However, you might want to make
very, very sure that it has the latest software upgrade.

Reman. Part No. Vehicle Application -
Software ID
Year
Body Type

Engine
R4686606AA 04686606 95 AJ,AS,A1,A3,A4,ES 3.0, 3.3 & 3.8L
R5269726AA 05269726 95 FJ 2.0 & 2.5L
R4797708AA 04797708 95 LH 3.3 & 3.5L
R4686478AA 04686606 93-94 A,C,J,P,S,Y 3.0, 3.3 & 3.8L
R4759066AA 04797708 93-94 LH 3.3 & 3.5L
R4761848AA 04796123 92 A,C,G,J,S,Y 3.0L
R4761849AA 04796124 92 C,S,Y 3.3L & 3.8L
R4761847AA 04796122 90-91 C,S,Y 3.3 & 3.8L
R4761846AA 04796121 89-91 A,C,G,J,S,Y 3.0L

"I am using TSB 18-020-02 Flash Programming Failure Recovery, which supersedes
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-32-98, which in turn supersedes the original
TSB-18-24-95, involving the TCM: "exhibit a pronounced shudder during EMCC
operation, harsh up/down-shifts, and/or harsh torque converter clutch
engagements.""

About the ATF+3 or ATF+4. There might be some problem that older trannies might
not have all their seals able to handle synthetic fluids, like ATF+4. Some on
this forum suggest that this is not the case any more. And some have used ATF+4
in their older vehicles. I, myself, asked for ATF+3. It may not have the better
slippery qualities of ATF+4 and I might have to change a tad more often because
it does not have the robustness of a purely synthetic or mostly synthetic oil,
but then I do know that my tranny was made with ATF+3 in mind and ATF+4 was not
yet in existence.

Old April 14th 05, 12:18 PM
jdoe

You may have the new style controller. If you know what it looks like see if
it has fins. If not it would be adviseable to get the new style one
regardless of whether the old one is ok. Re. flushing if done right it's
fine you could use +4 with no issues. This has been beaten to death but +4
is all many dealers even stock. Your trans will be fine with it. The thing
will be if you only drop the pan than buying +4 is not going to get you
anything. If you do flush you can have the tech drop the pan too and replace
the filter and gasket along with the new controller and latest software with
+4 and you're good to go.
Larry

Old April 14th 05, 01:22 PM
Richard

> About the ATF+3 or ATF+4. There might be some problem that older trannies
> might
> not have all their seals able to handle synthetic fluids, like ATF+4. Some
> on
> this forum suggest that this is not the case any more. And some have used
> ATF+4
> in their older vehicles. I, myself, asked for ATF+3. It may not have the
> better
> slippery qualities of ATF+4 and I might have to change a tad more often
> because
> it does not have the robustness of a purely synthetic or mostly synthetic
> oil,
> but then I do know that my tranny was made with ATF+3 in mind and ATF+4
> was not
> yet in existence.

Chrysler has informed us that the friction characteristics between the two
are quite different. If a pre-1999 transmission has to go through a
computer retraining cycle the use of +4 in such transmission can lead to
clutch chatter which can injure the clutch. But for this little problem it
appears that +4 is the superior product.

Richard.

Old April 14th 05, 02:11 PM
Bob Shuman

Could you please explain your rationale for the comment below on "why this
does not buy you anything?" Your other advice and comments seemed accurate,
but I do not understand how replacing just over half the fluid with +4,
replacing the filter, cleaning off the magnet, and getting all the sludge
off the bottom of the pan could be doing "nothing". Thanks.

Bob

Old April 14th 05, 05:29 PM

> 1. Don't Flush.

why not?

> 2. Do change fluid and filter.
> 3. Use ATF+3.

I understand the argument for using ATF+3 on earlier (pre-1999)
voyager models. But this is a reman transmission put on
my voyager in Augest, 2000.

Thanks again,
Ted

Old April 14th 05, 08:04 PM
hachiroku

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:29:27 -0700, tedliu52 wrote:

>> 1. Don't Flush.

> why not?

Because!

I work for a Used Car Dealer. We flushed three trannies, and then replaced
three trannies within 5 weeks after flushing! All we do now is a typical
drain and fill. If the customer says the fluid looks bad, we drian and
fill again. Haven't had a single tranny come back since.

>> 2. Do change fluid and filter.
>> 3. Use ATF+3.

> I understand the argument for using ATF+3 on earlier (pre-1999)
> voyager models. But this is a reman transmission put on
> my voyager in Augest, 2000.

It was probably rebuilt to original spec and filled with +3. I have been
told you CAN mix +3 and +4, but I'd just go with one or the other. Since
the manual says +3, I'd stick with +3.

Old April 15th 05, 02:00 PM
jdoe

You won't get the benefits of switching to +4 unless you flush out
everything that's in there now.
Larry
"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> Could you please explain your rationale for the comment below on "why this
> does not buy you anything?" Your other advice and comments seemed
> accurate,
> but I do not understand how replacing just over half the fluid with +4,
> replacing the filter, cleaning off the magnet, and getting all the sludge
> off the bottom of the pan could be doing "nothing". Thanks.
>
> Bob
>
> "jdoe" > wrote in message
>> The thing
>> will be if you only drop the pan than buying +4 is not going to get you
>> anything. If you do flush you can have the tech drop the pan too and

> replace
>> the filter and gasket along with the new controller and latest software

> with
>> +4 and you're good to go.
>> Larry

Brown Transmission Fluid Question Tommy Taylor Technology 5 December 20th 04 08:16 PM
Transmission Fluid Dan Fraser Dodge 12 August 10th 04 06:08 AM
Transmission fluid avalibility Alan W. Blackmon Dodge 14 July 10th 04 06:17 AM