air conditioning system

Old July 17th 04, 07:31 PM
callipygian

Default air conditioning system

I own a 1992 Saturn SL1. My air conditioning has gone out one me. I
figured out that it was low on refrigerant and that was causing the
problems, but when I tried to recharge it (R134a), the refrigerant didn't
stay in the system. The pressure gauge showed no pressure, even after 3
cans! And, the low pressure hose wasn't getting cold like it should. We
checked the hoses for leaks and found none. So I was wondering if it
could possibly be a problem with the air compressor? Any ideas you could
give me would help tremendously. Thanks

Old July 18th 04, 12:59 AM
Ritz

callipygian wrote:

> I own a 1992 Saturn SL1. My air conditioning has gone out one me. I
> figured out that it was low on refrigerant and that was causing the
> problems, but when I tried to recharge it (R134a), the refrigerant didn't
> stay in the system. The pressure gauge showed no pressure, even after 3
> cans! And, the low pressure hose wasn't getting cold like it should. We
> checked the hoses for leaks and found none. So I was wondering if it
> could possibly be a problem with the air compressor? Any ideas you could
> give me would help tremendously. Thanks

2 things.

1. Your system isn't charged with 134a. It was originally charged with
R12. They don't mix.

2. There's obviously a leak in the system. Fix the leak and THEN
recharge the system.

In order to convert to 134a (it's illegal to recharge it with R12 unless
you're the owner and have a private stash of R12), you'll need to change
the receiver/drier, completely evacuate the system with a vacuum pump,
add a few ounces of ester oil lubricant (compatible with both R12 and
R134a), and THEN add R134a refrigerant. I forget exactly how much of a
charge the early Saturn systems take, but you'll want to have about
30-35psi on the low side and 170-190psi on the high side. That should
give you a temperature drop of 25-30 degrees below ambient.

I don't read this group much anymore (mostly due to schmucks like Steve
Scharf who fill it with senseless noise), but if you have any questions,
send me email.

Cheers,
Old July 18th 04, 03:54 AM
James1549

Even if your compressor is bad, you still should have had some kind of pressure
after adding 3 cans. Obviously you have a leak. If you couldn't find it under
the hood, maybe it is in the evaperator, in the dash.

James