Fixing my tripmeter and Odometer on my Saturn SL2?

Old June 21st 04, 12:04 AM
==

Default Fixing my tripmeter and Odometer on my Saturn SL2?

Hi there

I have a 1992 Saturn SL2 and last thurs, the tripmeter and odometer
stopped working. I need to get it looked at, but I thought I'd check
here to see if anyone has had this problem and what their solution is? I
don't want to replace the whole instrument panel, if possible, but does
anyone know what one of those go for?

thanks

Old June 25th 04, 03:14 AM
Gary DelGrego

There is a little red gear that drives both the trip and main odometer. It
is a known weak spot of the early models.

You can get a rebuilt unit from Saturn but a few years ago I priced it out
around $400.

If you want to take the chance, you can disassemble it very carefully and
try to find a replacement gear in a hobby shop. The large amount of plastic
in the cluster and the body panels you have to disassemble to get to the
cluster makes it easy to snap something if you're not very careful...

Old June 25th 04, 11:52 PM
Mike

Hey, see my other message: There is a place that sells replacement gears.
I'm ordering one on Monday. It's hard to go wrong for $25 + shipping

http://www.odometergears.com/

Old July 19th 04, 05:16 PM
kh0513

Anyone know how to get to this so i can see why my Odometer / Tripmeter is
not working ?

Old July 19th 04, 10:31 PM
Oppie

I believe that in the past it was posted on how the speedometer pick off
gear in the transaxle gets stripped. Plastic gear gets exchanged fairly
easily.
Once you fix it, don't push the reset while moving. (IIRC)

Oppie

lkaboutautos.com...