service engine soon light 2000 sl1

Old July 19th 04, 01:24 AM
Shawn

Default service engine soon light 2000 sl1

This light has come on and stayed on. I just recently filled it with gas,
and reinstalled the gas cap.
It hasn't gone off yet. The car didn't get wet either.
It has 50,000 klms on it and doesn't run any different than before light
came on.
Will this eventually go off, or do I have to bring it back to dealer. New
plugsand wires installed at dealer 9000 klms ogo.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old July 19th 04, 01:50 AM
Ritz

Shawn wrote:
> This light has come on and stayed on. I just recently filled it with gas,
> and reinstalled the gas cap.
> It hasn't gone off yet. The car didn't get wet either.
> It has 50,000 klms on it and doesn't run any different than before light
> came on.
> Will this eventually go off, or do I have to bring it back to dealer. New
> plugsand wires installed at dealer 9000 klms ogo.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

There are many possible causes of a check engine light. It is
impossible to tell what caused the light to come on without connecting a
scanner to the car and asking it what trouble code is stored. It might
not be the engine at all. Various other controllers (like ABS or
transmission) can also trip the CEL. Best to scan the car, and THEN
think about corrective action.

Old July 19th 04, 04:11 AM
Ritz

Blah Blah wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
>>Shawn wrote:
>>
>>>This light has come on and stayed on. I just recently filled it with gas,
>>>and reinstalled the gas cap.
>>>It hasn't gone off yet. The car didn't get wet either.
>>>It has 50,000 klms on it and doesn't run any different than before light
>>>came on.
>>>Will this eventually go off, or do I have to bring it back to dealer. New
>>>plugsand wires installed at dealer 9000 klms ogo.
>>>
>>>Any help greatly appreciated.
>>>

>>There are many possible causes of a check engine light. It is
>>impossible to tell what caused the light to come on without connecting a
>>scanner to the car and asking it what trouble code is stored. It might
>>not be the engine at all. Various other controllers (like ABS or
>>transmission) can also trip the CEL. Best to scan the car, and THEN
>>think about corrective action.

> Abs doesnt set the ses that I am aware of. Forget about the dealer,
> they will often charge you. If you got a Autozone store near you they
> will scan your car free of charge but they will try to sell you parts
> that you may not need. (since your in canada? you will need to find
> something similar to autozone) Get the code read then come back here and
> tell us what it is. Right now we cant help you any further, we cant read
> the code from here.

On a number of cars, the ABS and transmission controllers can (and do)
trigger the CEL.
Old July 19th 04, 06:04 AM
Robert Hancock

On a '96 and newer car, the only faults that can trigger the service engine
light are those that could either cause emissions to rise 50% above mandated
standards, or prevent the detection of another emissions-related problem, so
that is limited to engine or possibly some transmission problems. Any other
problems will turn on some other warning light, like the Service Vehicle
Soon light, ABS light, etc.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old July 19th 04, 11:18 AM
Elector

"Blah Blah" > wrote in message
<Snip>
> Abs doesnt set the ses that I am aware of. Forget about the dealer,
> they will often charge you. If you got a Autozone store near you

they
> will scan your car free of charge but they will try to sell you

parts
> that you may not need. (since your in canada? you will need to find
> something similar to autozone) Get the code read then come back here

and
> tell us what it is. Right now we cant help you any further, we cant

read
> the code from here.

Canadian Tire comes to my mind.

Elector