95 Saturn Transmission - Please Help!

Old July 17th 04, 06:38 PM
Lentinman

Default 95 Saturn Transmission - Please Help!

I have a 95 Saturn. Over the last couple months, the time it takes it to
shift in or out of reverse has gotten longer and longer. Now, it might be
as much as 2 seconds sometimes. I read about this problem somewhere a few
weeks ago and I believe someone said that changing the fluid to a
particular brand could help. Any ideas? Thanks.

Len

Old July 18th 04, 12:52 AM
Ritz

Lentinman wrote:

> I have a 95 Saturn. Over the last couple months, the time it takes it to
> shift in or out of reverse has gotten longer and longer. Now, it might be
> as much as 2 seconds sometimes. I read about this problem somewhere a few
> weeks ago and I believe someone said that changing the fluid to a
> particular brand could help. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just change the fluid. Get a new filter from the dealer, dump the
fluid, and then refill. If you want "the good stuff," refill with Mobil
1 synthetic Dexron III fluid. One of the benefits of Saturn ownership
is the ability to change the transmission fluid/filter without having to
drop the pan.

Wow, in doing a quick search I can't believe Steve Scharf is STILL
around spewing anti-Saturn bile. That's got to be some sort of troll
record.

Cheers,
Old July 18th 04, 02:05 AM
Lentinman

Ritz:

First of all, THANKS. I am fairly moronic on cars. Do you mean to imply
that I could change it myself if I got a new filter from the dealer?

Also, I went to Pep Boys today after I posted this as I was at Best Buy
and it took a good 2 seconds to go into drive after I backed out of the
parking place. I bought something called TVF (Trans Valve Fix) "For use in
Engines, Transmissions and Gearboxes". It says to add one full bottle to
transmission fluid. I added about half a bottle (8 ounces). I drove quite
a bit after that, but made sure to not park where I would have to put it
in reverse. So, I don't have any data yet on whether it helped or not.

What is your opinion of this type of stuff? There was another brand right
next to it that said "anti slip" or something like that for transmissions.
I just chose this one.

Also, who is Steve Scharf and why include him in the response?

Thanks Again,

Len

Old July 18th 04, 02:15 AM
Lentinman

I checked the fluid (hot) and it was full - I think. I have checked it on
an off for a long time and it was always full. The reason I say "I think"
is because I can see fluid above where it is supposed to be, but no
obvious line like oil. It DOES seem like I used to be able to tell easier.
I haven't changed the transmission fluid in awhile so I guess I will do
that. Thanks!

Len

Old July 18th 04, 02:17 AM
Ritz

Lentinman wrote:
> Ritz:
>
> First of all, THANKS. I am fairly moronic on cars. Do you mean to imply
> that I could change it myself if I got a new filter from the dealer?

Absolutely. The filter is external and can be removed just like an oil
filter (as a matter of fact it looks exactly like an oil filter).

> Also, I went to Pep Boys today after I posted this as I was at Best Buy
> and it took a good 2 seconds to go into drive after I backed out of the
> parking place. I bought something called TVF (Trans Valve Fix) "For use in
> Engines, Transmissions and Gearboxes". It says to add one full bottle to
> transmission fluid. I added about half a bottle (8 ounces). I drove quite
> a bit after that, but made sure to not park where I would have to put it
> in reverse. So, I don't have any data yet on whether it helped or not.

As a general rule, I don't recommend ANY of those snake oil elixirs.
With very few exceptions, they don't work and are just a waste of your
hard earned money.

> Also, who is Steve Scharf and why include him in the response?

Oh, just some jackass. If morbid curiosity gets the best of you, check
out deja.com and do a search. Reader's digest version: dishonest
individual with an axe to grind. He's incredibly persistent (been
posting misinformation for nearly 10 years). Just ignore him.

Cheers,
Old July 18th 04, 02:56 AM
Lane

The symptoms you have occur when the transmission valve body goes bad. Do a
google groups search on this group for 'valve body' as this has been
discussed here at length in the past.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www57.pair.com/lane

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 18th 04, 03:50 AM
James1549

You can do a trans fluid and filter change very easy. Actually it is easier to
change the trans fluid/ filter than the engine oil/filter due to location.

I would do the service but it sounds like you need some repair to the valve
body. It does require some mechanical know-how to do that.

From what I understand, this is a common problem for those that don't service
the trans as recommended. Tarnish builds up on a particular spool valve causing
it to stick, and eventually causing damage to the valve body. Replacing the
fluid on schedule will greatly reduce this problem.

I change my trans fluid and filter every 15K miles. So far so good. Very easy
and great preventive maintenance.

James