95 SL1 trans

Old June 24th 05, 05:01 AM
Peter

Default 95 SL1 trans

Transmission bucks when underload at low rpm's. does not do it when
transmission is cold takes 10-15 mins till problem shows up. already changed
trans fluid and filter. Is there a way to do a power flush with out going to
a shop. I feel that there may be some remianing old fluid in the torque
converter when I changed it. The old fluid had about 80k on it.

Old June 24th 05, 09:28 PM
Bob Shuman

"Transmission bucks" is anything but descriptive... Transmissions usually
slip or shift rough, I've never heard a trans described before as "bucking".
Why do you think this is a transmission problem? Sounds to me like an
engine problem.

By the way, at 80K, the transaxle was more than due for a change of fluid
and filter so this is good that you took that action. Draining the fluid
gets about 50% and you are correct that the remainder is concentrated in the
torque converter, as well as the solenoid valve body, cooling lines, etc.
You can get another 50% of the 50% that remains by draining it and removing
the filter and draining that too before refilling again. This would leave
about 25% of the old fluid.

Bob

Old June 25th 05, 10:55 PM
Peter

Per your advice decide to check engine 1st. Found small black hose about 4
inches long that was connected between value cover and intake air sytem that
when engine was acelerated hose would parially colapse and make whistling
sound fix it and problem has gone away.

Still have a another problem remaining some times when putting car in
reverse transmission hesates then with a loud band enages. If I let it sit
in neutral for just a few seconds then put in reverse it works fine. Am I
wasting time draining the fuild a second time from tranmission to get as
much as remaining old trans fuild or could this be a problem caused by
something else like electronics.

news

Old June 26th 05, 04:30 AM
Bob Shuman

Glad you found the engine problem.

On the transmission, your vehicle has the infamous "reverse slam"
characteristics. Go to the Saturn Forum and follow the Wolfman's fix. Many
have said that this has saved them hundreds of dollars and worked for them.
It is basically just running the car at idle in reverse with clean fluid and
new filter and a trans additive for 30 minutes, then draining the fluid and
refilling again. This cleans out the valve body which clogs if you do not
drain and change the fluid often enough.

Bob

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Still have a another problem remaining some times when putting car in
> reverse transmission hesates then with a loud band enages. If I let it
> sit
> in neutral for just a few seconds then put in reverse it works fine. Am I
> wasting time draining the fuild a second time from tranmission to get as
> much as remaining old trans fuild or could this be a problem caused by
> something else like electronics.
>

> "Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> news
>> "Transmission bucks" is anything but descriptive... Transmissions
>> usually
>> slip or shift rough, I've never heard a trans described before as

> "bucking".
>> Why do you think this is a transmission problem? Sounds to me like an
>> engine problem.
>>
>> By the way, at 80K, the transaxle was more than due for a change of fluid
>> and filter so this is good that you took that action. Draining the fluid
>> gets about 50% and you are correct that the remainder is concentrated in

> the
>> torque converter, as well as the solenoid valve body, cooling lines, etc.
>> You can get another 50% of the 50% that remains by draining it and

> removing
>> the filter and draining that too before refilling again. This would
>> leave
>> about 25% of the old fluid.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> "Peter" > wrote in message
>> > Transmission bucks when underload at low rpm's. does not do it when
>> > transmission is cold takes 10-15 mins till problem shows up. already
>> > changed
>> > trans fluid and filter. Is there a way to do a power flush with out

> going
>> > a shop. I feel that there may be some remianing old fluid in the torque
>> > converter when I changed it. The old fluid had about 80k on it.

GM trans rebuild, low pressure and slipping in R and 1ST related? andy everett Technology 0 December 14th 04 12:59 AM
91 Spirit Trans Problem Tank U Dodge 0 November 20th 04 02:03 PM
95 sl2 automatic - post diyer trans r&r Dave V Saturn 4 September 2nd 04 04:37 AM
Toyota A-340E trans problems - possible causes outside the trans? Doc General 6 May 27th 04 03:54 PM