97 SL1 Fan runs after shutoff draining battery

Old June 21st 05, 06:32 PM
Scott Stoddard

Default 97 SL1 Fan runs after shutoff draining battery

I have a 97 SL1 which I bought new in Salt Lake City. It had a bad smell
coming from the vents after the air conditioning was shut off. I took it to
the dealer and they put something on it that run the ventilation fan after
the air conditioning was shut off. They told me condensation on the coil
was causing mold, and that the addition would dry the condensation. The fan
would run after I shut the car.

I've since moved to Portland Oregon. Now the fan sometimes runs all night
and drains the battery. (very annoying) I contacted Saturn of Portland.
They have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd really appreciate any insight
anyone has on this problem... how to disable the aftermarket circuit... or
whatever. I'd much rather have the smell than a dead battery all the time.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 22nd 05, 05:49 PM
Stephen Jaye

"Scott Stoddard" > wrote in message
>I have a 97 SL1 which I bought new in Salt Lake City. It had a bad smell
> coming from the vents after the air conditioning was shut off. I took it
> the dealer and they put something on it that run the ventilation fan after
> the air conditioning was shut off. They told me condensation on the coil
> was causing mold, and that the addition would dry the condensation. The
> fan
> would run after I shut the car.
>
> I've since moved to Portland Oregon. Now the fan sometimes runs all night
> and drains the battery. (very annoying) I contacted Saturn of Portland.
> They have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd really appreciate any
> insight
> anyone has on this problem... how to disable the aftermarket circuit... or
> whatever. I'd much rather have the smell than a dead battery all the time.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Go to www.saturnfans.com , there's a bunch of very knowledgeable folks there
that'll help you or point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

Stephen Jaye
--
45 rpm oldies from the 50's to the 80's at:

http://stvnj.home.pipeline.com

Old June 23rd 05, 05:21 AM
Jonnie Santos

Stephen Jaye wrote:
> "Scott Stoddard" > wrote in message
>
>>I have a 97 SL1 which I bought new in Salt Lake City. It had a bad smell
>>coming from the vents after the air conditioning was shut off. I took it
>>the dealer and they put something on it that run the ventilation fan after
>>the air conditioning was shut off. They told me condensation on the coil
>>was causing mold, and that the addition would dry the condensation. The
>>fan
>>would run after I shut the car.
>>
>>I've since moved to Portland Oregon. Now the fan sometimes runs all night
>>and drains the battery. (very annoying) I contacted Saturn of Portland.
>>They have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd really appreciate any
>>insight
>>anyone has on this problem... how to disable the aftermarket circuit... or
>>whatever. I'd much rather have the smell than a dead battery all the time.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

> Go to www.saturnfans.com , there's a bunch of very knowledgeable folks there
> that'll help you or point you in the right direction. Good Luck!
>
> Stephen Jaye

That was a after thought by Saturn. I remember hearing about it when I
had my 97 and it was new. It's a timed relay that does just as you say,
however it's only supposed to run the HVAC blower motor for a few
minutes to dry the evap after using the A/C.

Try another dealer, or if worse comes to worse, get the name of the
local tech in Portland, then call the old dealer Salt Lake and explain
Portland's confusion. Hopefully they will contact the Portland dealer
directly and if you can supply Salt Lake with the name in Portland, I'd
think you'd have better luck.

Alternator draining battery. Felix Technology 10 April 23rd 05 07:24 PM
battery draining every night jchill43 4x4 9 April 17th 05 05:49 AM
Clifford Alarm Draining my Battery? Eric McCaughrin Technology 1 January 21st 05 02:21 AM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
'97 SL2 draining battery Simon Gorecki Saturn 3 June 11th 04 10:58 PM