Funky Brake Lights

Old April 8th 05, 10:53 AM

Default Funky Brake Lights

When I have my lights on (actually just the parking lights are needed)
my third brake light (the top middle one) turns on. It is pretty dim
and gets brighter when I press the brake but I still got pulled over
once for it. Obviously i have a short somewhere but I don't know much
about finding it. Is this at all common in Saturns? Mine is a 1999 SL.
If it helps, I've had a few electrical brake problems. The rear left
light bulb has blown out 3 times and the brake light fuse went out once
for no apparent reason. Does this give any clue as to where the short
is? Thanks! -Jesse

Old April 9th 05, 06:07 AM
Nobody U. Know

Has to be a grounding or relay problem. It's funny you got pulled over for
it. It is against the law in ALL states to drive with only our parking
lights on. Parking lights are just that, parking lights....that's why they
call them that. You must have you headlights on or off when in motion. If
you think you need your lights on, then turn them on.

--
Todd Honea
oups.com...

Old April 10th 05, 01:27 AM

No, I had my lights on but since the top middle brake light was on too,
it looked like I was riding my brakes, while speeding up.... This
confused the hell out of a motorcycle cop who pulled me over. He didn't
give me a ticket or even threaten one (maybe it isn't illegal). He did
tell me it is misleading and could me dangerous though.

Anyway, any idea where to check first? Where in the circuit would the
ground most likely be?

-Jesse

Old April 12th 05, 07:55 AM

Fixed it, in case anyone was wondering...it was a bad brake bulb. Well
actually the wrong type of brake bulb.