92 saturn has problems starting

Old April 10th 05, 09:32 PM
LucyGee

Default 92 saturn has problems starting

i have a 92 saturn (an oldie i know) lately it's been having many problems
starting, if i keep trying to start it it will eventually start after many
tries. i had this problem 2 weeks ago and took it to the shop and got a new
starter cause that's what i was told the problem was but it's doing it now
and it gets harder and harder,i've had to jump it twice but after i jump
it it's fine, i don't think it's the battery, it's only 2 years old.
please help, i love my saturn!

Old April 11th 05, 12:25 AM
The Real Tom

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:32:48 -0400, "LucyGee" >
wrote:

>i have a 92 saturn (an oldie i know) lately it's been having many problems
>starting, if i keep trying to start it it will eventually start after many
>tries. i had this problem 2 weeks ago and took it to the shop and got a new
>starter cause that's what i was told the problem was but it's doing it now
>and it gets harder and harder,i've had to jump it twice but after i jump
>it it's fine, i don't think it's the battery, it's only 2 years old.
>please help, i love my saturn!

I think before anyone can help you with your questions, we have to
know about the condition of your battery. Post voltages, before
cranking the engine, after starting the engine. With these two, people
can rule out battery or charging system problems.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old April 11th 05, 02:09 AM
LucyGee

i was told the alternator is in perfect condition and i had system charge
test and it showed the battery was fine, i'm thinking it might just be
loose wires or something like that

Old April 11th 05, 04:26 AM
Nobody U. Know

Has the fuel pump been changed? They get old and worn out. What about the
filter? Slow starting is usually a fuel problem. While most people think the
injectors are the reason, it's really the pump.

--
Todd Honea
lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 11th 05, 04:55 AM
LucyGee

yeah, i just don't know where to even start, this past time, it wouldn't
even start at all, wasn't even slow, i waited like an hour and it didn't
start, had to jump it

Old April 11th 05, 04:56 AM
Nobody U. Know

Whoops, re-read posts. Take a voltage off the battery when it's running and
when it's off. You can use a multimeter and just touch them to the posts on
the battery. Read that and report it. Off, it should be 12V. On, it should
be 14V. Does the dome light work when the car wont start?

--
Todd Honea

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 11th 05, 07:36 AM
LucyGee

ok, i can do that but i have no idea what a multimeter is. is it something
a friend would have or would i most likely have to buy one? also, the
lights and everything work when it won't start, nothings dim, radio will
play. all that good stuff

Old April 11th 05, 01:01 PM
Mike

Sounds like the coolant temp sensor. Very typical problem if it is hard to
start and run when cold, but runs ok when warmed up. (not the one for the
gauge, it's the one that sends coolant temp to the ECU)

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 12th 05, 06:10 AM
Nobody U. Know

A multimeter is a device for measuring voltage, amperage, etc. It is a
common tool for any mechanic. My first stab at it is a grounding problem at
the alternator. Most alternators, Chevy included, have a strap on the
altenator that is gounded somewhere. This is also true of the starter, but
the alternator work makes me suspect there first.

When testing the alternator, I bet the car is running (good ground). The
test off may show a steady drain.

--
Todd Honea

lkaboutautos.com...