2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

Old May 3rd 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

I have always wanted a decent mustang... ever since I was about 8..
wanted one so bad I could taste it really... I used to be fairly
active on these forums.. but have not really been back in quite some
time...

Anyway, about a week I got my first mustang... a 2006 GT Coupe.

The car is an automatic, but even so, I would think that it would be
able to break traction on the rear tires going straight forward from a
dead stop on dry pavement... without break torquing.. but the car
simply will not do it.. Its not a problem if its wet out..

The power is there, I can feel it at higher speeds.. and it seems that
when taking off, it drops the power to a point where the tires will not
spin as i take off, but once it gets rolling, it will take off pretty
quickly...

This is with the traction control off.. It is really very
disappointing that with the traction control off, the car wont spin the
tires from a stand still on dry pavement... (Probably will if I brake
torque it.. but I really dont think that should be necessarry with a
car that powerful....

Am I missing something?

Old May 3rd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Erimikos" > wrote:

> I have always wanted a decent mustang... ever since I was about 8..
> wanted one so bad I could taste it really... I used to be fairly
> active on these forums.. but have not really been back in quite some
> time...
>
> Anyway, about a week I got my first mustang... a 2006 GT Coupe.
>
> The car is an automatic, but even so, I would think that it would be
> able to break traction on the rear tires going straight forward from a
> dead stop on dry pavement... without break torquing.. but the car
> simply will not do it.. Its not a problem if its wet out..
>
> The power is there, I can feel it at higher speeds.. and it seems that
> when taking off, it drops the power to a point where the tires will not
> spin as i take off, but once it gets rolling, it will take off pretty
> quickly...
>
> This is with the traction control off.. It is really very
> disappointing that with the traction control off, the car wont spin the
> tires from a stand still on dry pavement... (Probably will if I brake
> torque it.. but I really dont think that should be necessarry with a
> car that powerful....
>
> Am I missing something?

Yeah... I think you are missing something.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 3rd 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

actually modern cars are designed to do exactly what your is doing. the tire
width, gear ratio, torque at low end is supposed to work together so as not
to produce tire spin, but maximum acceleration consistent with fuel economy.
As the car gains a few miles of experience (i.e. breaks in) you may find
that spinning the tires does come easier on dry pavement.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"walt peifer" > wrote:

> actually modern cars are designed to do exactly what your is doing.
> the tire width, gear ratio, torque at low end is supposed to work
> together so as not to produce tire spin, but maximum acceleration
> consistent with fuel economy. As the car gains a few miles of
> experience (i.e. breaks in) you may find that spinning the tires does
> come easier on dry pavement.

not to mention all those little grippy edges on the tires get worn down and
off.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 3rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Erimikos" > wrote:

> It still just doesn't seem right... Something in the electronic
> throttle controls maybe? it seems like it wont apply full throttle
> from a stop, but does once it gets rolling a little. Car has about
> 500 miles on it now..

Heh.. you dont suppose those crafty production engineers would have
designed a power limitation into the engine controller!

Not beyond reason that they would, is it! If so, the truth will come out
soon.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 3rd 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

No you have TRACTION CONTROL!!!

oups.com...

Old May 3rd 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"walt peifer" > wrote in message
.. .
> actually modern cars are designed to do exactly what your is doing. the
> tire width, gear ratio, torque at low end is supposed to work together so
> as not to produce tire spin, but maximum acceleration consistent with fuel
> economy. As the car gains a few miles of experience (i.e. breaks in) you
> may find that spinning the tires does come easier on dry pavement.

Bull****, The new Mustang has TRACTION CONTROL, it won't even spin in the
wet with it on. Doh!

Old May 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Erimikos" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It still just doesn't seem right... Something in the electronic
> throttle controls maybe? it seems like it wont apply full throttle
> from a stop, but does once it gets rolling a little. Car has about
> 500 miles on it now.. I would have actually only tried this once, but
> have tried it twice since the first time was not at all what I
> expected..
>
> I really dont want to beat it up too much just yet... I want it to
> last awhile.

Then stop trying to tear up your $300+ tires...

Old May 3rd 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> "Erimikos" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have always wanted a decent mustang... ever since I was about 8..
> > wanted one so bad I could taste it really... I used to be fairly
> > active on these forums.. but have not really been back in quite some
> > time...
> >
> > Anyway, about a week I got my first mustang... a 2006 GT Coupe.
> >
> > The car is an automatic, but even so, I would think that it would be
> > able to break traction on the rear tires going straight forward from a
> > dead stop on dry pavement... without break torquing.. but the car
> > simply will not do it.. Its not a problem if its wet out..
> >
> > The power is there, I can feel it at higher speeds.. and it seems that
> > when taking off, it drops the power to a point where the tires will not
> > spin as i take off, but once it gets rolling, it will take off pretty
> > quickly...
> >
> > This is with the traction control off.. It is really very
> > disappointing that with the traction control off, the car wont spin the
> > tires from a stand still on dry pavement... (Probably will if I brake
> > torque it.. but I really dont think that should be necessarry with a
> > car that powerful....
> >
> > Am I missing something?

Wet the street and try again

Al

Old May 4th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Big Al" > wrote in message

>> "Erimikos" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >I have always wanted a decent mustang... ever since I was about 8..
>> > wanted one so bad I could taste it really... I used to be fairly
>> > active on these forums.. but have not really been back in quite some
>> > time...
>> >
>> > Anyway, about a week I got my first mustang... a 2006 GT Coupe.
>> >
>> > The car is an automatic, but even so, I would think that it would be
>> > able to break traction on the rear tires going straight forward from a
>> > dead stop on dry pavement... without break torquing.. but the car
>> > simply will not do it.. Its not a problem if its wet out..
>> >
>> > The power is there, I can feel it at higher speeds.. and it seems that
>> > when taking off, it drops the power to a point where the tires will not
>> > spin as i take off, but once it gets rolling, it will take off pretty
>> > quickly...
>> >
>> > This is with the traction control off.. It is really very
>> > disappointing that with the traction control off, the car wont spin the
>> > tires from a stand still on dry pavement... (Probably will if I brake
>> > torque it.. but I really dont think that should be necessarry with a
>> > car that powerful....
>> >
>> > Am I missing something?
>> >

> Wet the street and try again
>
> Al

The new Mustang has TRACTION CONTROL, it won't even spin in the wet with it
on..
They **** and git with almost undetectable wheel spin, in the gravel, on
wet, whatever surface, the traction control works very well...