Gas prices too high!

Old October 8th 05, 07:18 PM
Mike H

Default Gas prices too high!

Caerus wrote:

> Caerus ) wrote:
> :
> : [ Article reposted from rec.autos.4x4 ]
> : [ Author was Caerus ]
> : [ Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:28:17 +0000 (UTC) ]
> :
> : The gas prices are too high here, we are paying $2.99 a gallon
> : here in the Bay Area for regular 87. So bad, I recently sold
> : my beloved '97 2dr Tahoe Sport for a smaller Pontiac. When
> : will this end?
> :
> : I will return to the 4x4 era when Chevy build a hybrid, most
> : likely Ford will first.
> :
> :
>

> Wednesday, October 5, 2005
>
> Gas may hit $4 by year-end
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cypeq

OK- time for a thread on mileage and 4x4s. Lets have ideas!

Lots of us are feeling the pinch since we actually need a four wheel
drive vehicle for our work. Natural resource and environmental
businesses -like mine- are especially feeling it. I've got a 220 mile
(both ways) highway drive I take twice a week, with logging roads and
river bars that have to be crossed once I'm at the work site. When it
rains, such as now, rivers rise and some clearance is needed. Likewise
when it snows or when you have to cross a water barred road. The most
ideal vehicle I've seen - however imaginary - is a Subaru forester with
another 3-4 inches of height and a place to carry a saw and shovel.
Mileage is bearable. Vehicle's a bit small and too civilized inside for
wet dirty clothes.

Currently driving a full size Bronco which is excellent in all respects
but mileage. The last capable compact 4x4's I'm aware of were the
Samarais. Diesel conversions? Doesn't seem to be possible for the Ford.
Nissan X-Trail seems good but isn't imported into the US.

Old April 9th 07, 10:54 AM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
Simes

That dear old chap Mike H tugged on his pipe and said:

> Caerus wrote:
>
> > Caerus ) wrote:
> > : : [ Article reposted from rec.autos.4x4 ]
> > : [ Author was Caerus ]
> > : [ Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:28:17 +0000 (UTC) ]
> > : : The gas prices are too high here, we are paying $2.99 a gallon
> > : here in the Bay Area for regular 87. So bad, I recently sold
> > : my beloved '97 2dr Tahoe Sport for a smaller Pontiac. When
> > : will this end?
> > : : I will return to the 4x4 era when Chevy build a hybrid, most
> > : likely Ford will first.
> > : : Wednesday, October 5, 2005
> >
> > Gas may hit $4 by year-end
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/cypeq
> >

> OK- time for a thread on mileage and 4x4s. Lets have ideas!
>
> Lots of us are feeling the pinch since we actually need a four wheel
> drive vehicle for our work. Natural resource and environmental
> businesses -like mine- are especially feeling it. I've got a 220 mile
> (both ways) highway drive I take twice a week, with logging roads and
> river bars that have to be crossed once I'm at the work site. When it
> rains, such as now, rivers rise and some clearance is needed.
> Likewise when it snows or when you have to cross a water barred road.
> The most ideal vehicle I've seen - however imaginary - is a Subaru
> forester with another 3-4 inches of height and a place to carry a saw
> and shovel. Mileage is bearable. Vehicle's a bit small and too
> civilized inside for wet dirty clothes.
>
> Currently driving a full size Bronco which is excellent in all
> respects but mileage. The last capable compact 4x4's I'm aware of
> were the Samarais. Diesel conversions? Doesn't seem to be possible
> for the Ford. Nissan X-Trail seems good but isn't imported into the
> US.

Just pat yourselves on the back and thank the Lord that you are not
(like me) paying UK prices - 95 pence a LITRE for 95 RON unleaded (I
think that equates to 93 Octane on your way of measuring it) - that's
about $7.25 per US gallon!

How much are you paying?

--
Simes - a man on the edge.
Old April 9th 07, 01:39 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
(PeteCresswell)

Per Simes:
>that's
>about $7.25 per US gallon!
>
>How much are you paying?

$2.59 last fill up with 87 octane. Southern New Jersey (USA).

Southeastern Penna it's about 20 cents higher bco taxes.

Aside from Hawaii, California seems to have the highest prices in the USA.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 9th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
jrk

"Simes" > wrote in message
> That dear old chap Mike H tugged on his pipe and said:

<snip>

> Just pat yourselves on the back and thank the Lord that you are not
> (like me) paying UK prices - 95 pence a LITRE for 95 RON unleaded (I
> think that equates to 93 Octane on your way of measuring it) - that's
> about $7.25 per US gallon!
>
> How much are you paying?

How much of that is tax. I can't cite a reference, but I've read that though
we pay less in the US, if you subtract the tax we pay a little more for the
fuel itself.

Old April 9th 07, 04:52 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
Simes

That dear old chap jrk tugged on his pipe and said:

> "Simes" > wrote in message
> > That dear old chap Mike H tugged on his pipe and said:
> >

> <snip>
> >
> > Just pat yourselves on the back and thank the Lord that you are not
> > (like me) paying UK prices - 95 pence a LITRE for 95 RON unleaded (I
> > think that equates to 93 Octane on your way of measuring it) -
> > that's about $7.25 per US gallon!
> >
> > How much are you paying?
> >

> How much of that is tax. I can't cite a reference, but I've read that
> though we pay less in the US, if you subtract the tax we pay a little
> more for the fuel itself.

I believe that without tax the price of the fuel is the cheapest in
Europe and the fuel companies make the least profit on UK fuel sales -
I understand the base price is around 12 pence per litre - around a
dollar a gallon.

That's why in the UK now just about all garages are also supermarkets
and/or shops of one sort or another. You can't buy a bloody set of
spark plugs or a fan belt in a garage, but you can buy bread and pasta.

--
Simes - a man on the edge.
Old April 9th 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
Simes

That dear old chap (PeteCresswell) tugged on his pipe and said:

> Per Simes:
> > that's
> > about $7.25 per US gallon!
> >
> > How much are you paying?

> $2.59 last fill up with 87 octane. Southern New Jersey (USA).
>
> Southeastern Penna it's about 20 cents higher bco taxes.
>
> Aside from Hawaii, California seems to have the highest prices in the
> USA.

How much is the postge on petrol? It might be cheaper for me to buy it
mail order from the US!

--
Simes - a man on the edge.
Old April 9th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
Jim Smith

"Simes" > wrote in message
> That dear old chap Mike H tugged on his pipe and said:
>
> Just pat yourselves on the back and thank the Lord that you are not
> (like me) paying UK prices - 95 pence a LITRE for 95 RON unleaded (I
> think that equates to 93 Octane on your way of measuring it) - that's
> about $7.25 per US gallon!
>
> How much are you paying?

Yeah but how many miles do you put on your vehicle each week. You can
probably drive from one coast to the other for what many of us drive to work
each day. How far is the daily commute in England?

Old April 9th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
Simes

That dear old chap Jim Smith tugged on his pipe and said:

> "Simes" > wrote in message
> > That dear old chap Mike H tugged on his pipe and said:
> >
> > Just pat yourselves on the back and thank the Lord that you are not
> > (like me) paying UK prices - 95 pence a LITRE for 95 RON unleaded (I
> > think that equates to 93 Octane on your way of measuring it) -
> > that's about $7.25 per US gallon!
> >
> > How much are you paying?

> Yeah but how many miles do you put on your vehicle each week. You
> can probably drive from one coast to the other for what many of us
> drive to work each day. How far is the daily commute in England?

True enough - I do only around 600 miles per week commuting - plus
trips out, shopping etc - so I average around 45,000 per year. I think
that's higher than average though - in the UK I believe 16000 per year
is considered the average.

--
Simes - a man on the edge.
Old April 9th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:39:29 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" >
wrote:

>Per Simes:
>>that's
>>about $7.25 per US gallon!
>>
>>How much are you paying?

>$2.59 last fill up with 87 octane. Southern New Jersey (USA).
>
>Southeastern Penna it's about 20 cents higher bco taxes.
>
>Aside from Hawaii, California seems to have the highest prices in the USA.

Comparison of gas prices between different countries is meaningless
due to taxes and how they are allocated to the government. Say in GB
the gas tax may be used to pay for 'national health care' (as an
example, please) and not necessarily for transportation related
expenditures.

And California has the highest gas prices because the people in
California continue to VOTE for higher gas prices. They choose to pay
more, so that they can think of themselves as better than any of the
other states.

Hawaii pays a lot because they import <g> their gas from...
California!
Old April 9th 07, 09:13 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
(PeteCresswell)

Per PeterD:
>And California has the highest gas prices because the people in
>California continue to VOTE for higher gas prices. They choose to pay
>more, so that they can think of themselves as better than any of the
>other states.

Dunno about the people being better (except they seem more consistently better
educated at the high-school level) but the few roads I've driven there are
head-and-shoulders above Southeastern Penna's - which look more like some
third-world country's.
--
PeteCresswell

High Fuel Prices Larry Simulators 1 September 2nd 05 08:47 AM
High Gas Prices Fuel an Octane Rebellion MrPepper11 Driving 434 August 18th 05 12:25 AM
pay them high gas prices make warman and me rich [email protected] Ford Mustang 9 June 8th 05 12:03 AM
gas prices too high or too low? ben 4x4 115 July 3rd 04 04:02 AM
"Oil prices rise to 13-year high, threaten economy" Mike General 0 March 18th 04 09:16 PM