Replacing Cat converter, muffler & tailpipe

Old September 20th 05, 08:00 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Except it's not a hundred anymore. A friend's '63 Merc with Flow
Masters was over twenty five hundred, excluding headers.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 20th 05, 09:47 PM
Billy Ray

I just called an exhaust place over the river I have used for about 20
years. They gave me a price for a cat-back exhaust system for a 96 Cherokee
4 liter (sorry I couldn't remember which engine Pat has) of $90 + tax. This
includes a 1 year guarantee on the pipes and lifetime on the muffler.

--
..
(remove SPAM)

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 20th 05, 09:47 PM
Jeff Strickland

My CJ took about $80 to get a complete exhaust system installed. This
included tube bending, cutting, and welding, and the tube itself. The only
additional costs were the CAT and the muffler. Total deal came in at about
$200, if I remember right.

Old September 20th 05, 09:54 PM
Billy Ray

I neglected to ask about a new catalytic converter. To add a universal
converter to the deal would probably be less than $100 additional

--
..

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 20th 05, 10:43 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...&oi=f roogler
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 20th 05, 11:34 PM
Billy Ray

Catalytic converters for Jeeps
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl...Search+Froogle

--
..

Old September 21st 05, 02:26 AM
DougW

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:
> Have you ever done an exhaust system before?
>
> I gave up on doing them because they normally end up being 'WAY' more
> pain in the butt than they are worth.
>
> After 6 or 8 hours, or by the second day and with dead saw blades,
> ripped knuckles, stripped bolt/nut heads, cursing, jacking then cursing
> more when you figure no way that @#$%^ tailpipe is going over that axle
> without it being on a hoist, that $100.00 labor they wanted at the
> muffler shop is cheap!

I've got to agree with Mike. If you have the money, pay someone with
the lift and tools to do the job.

I did the system on my ZJ but would probably let someone else do it
next time. The cat-back and headers are easy (mostly easy). The
cat is a royal pain in the ass because it's usually welded/rusted
to the downpipe. Beat on the downpipe too much and you can crack
the header. It's easier to have someone zip it off with the gas
wrench. pffffffft! pfffffft! CLANG! seemple.

--
DougW

Old September 21st 05, 03:15 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I was just going what you said "Cat-Back" which usually is larger
stainless steel pipe with mandrel bends.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 21st 05, 06:35 AM
Dave in Columbus

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:26:37 -0500, "DougW" >
wrote:

>Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:
>> Have you ever done an exhaust system before?
>>
>> I gave up on doing them because they normally end up being 'WAY' more
>> pain in the butt than they are worth.
>>
>> After 6 or 8 hours, or by the second day and with dead saw blades,
>> ripped knuckles, stripped bolt/nut heads, cursing, jacking then cursing
>> more when you figure no way that @#$%^ tailpipe is going over that axle
>> without it being on a hoist, that $100.00 labor they wanted at the
>> muffler shop is cheap!

>I've got to agree with Mike. If you have the money, pay someone with
>the lift and tools to do the job.
>
>I did the system on my ZJ but would probably let someone else do it
>next time. The cat-back and headers are easy (mostly easy). The
>cat is a royal pain in the ass because it's usually welded/rusted
>to the downpipe. Beat on the downpipe too much and you can crack
>the header. It's easier to have someone zip it off with the gas
>wrench. pffffffft! pfffffft! CLANG! seemple.

When I did my 88 XJ I cut the whole thing off including the header pipe.
That was easier than trying to get the header pipe off the cat. Made the
whole job easier that trying to hang new stuff on old.

--

Dave in Columbus