Get Ready To Pay Four Bucks A Gallon

Old September 2nd 05, 02:37 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 8/31/2005 6:50 PM, Quiet Desperation wrote:

> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>

>>Is the modern muscle car era over, and is return of the Mustang II just
>>around the corner?

> Hybrid Mustangs.
>

> *shudder*

You'd get excellent 60' times...

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old September 2nd 05, 03:39 AM
Spike

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:58:41 -0400, "dwight" >
wrote:

>Here is a horrible situation, yet we see innumerable examples of heroism and
>neighbors coming together. The looters are the exact opposite - "what's in
>this for me?"

Some of those looters have been looting for food and water.
Personally, I think that is justified. Not right, but justified. The
ones who are stealing TVs, cars, etc, are totally wrong.

>The station owners are the same. They see a catastrophe as an excuse to
>increase their profits on the gasoline they've already purchased. Sure, it's
>legal, but it's still looting. And it's despicable.

Just wait until the contractors pour in to rebuild/refurbish as the
have done in Florida in the past.

>dwight

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be....
Children are obscene but should not be heard
Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!
Old September 2nd 05, 03:40 AM
Spike

Until they get so light that a slight crosswind sends them
airborne....

Old September 2nd 05, 04:01 AM
Hairy

"dwight" > wrote in message
> "Quiet Desperation" > wrote in message
> > In article >, dwight
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The hurricane hit on Monday. Prices at my local station went up 30
> >> cents/gallon since then, ON GASOLINE THEY ALREADY HAD IN THE TANK.
> >>
> >> Right now, I see no difference between the looters and the gas station
> >> owners.

> > They charge based on what it will cost to *replace* what is already in
> > the tank. That's Business 101.

> Baloney.
>
> I heard a station owner interviewed on the radio. When asked why she

raised
> her price so much, she said, "Because everyone else did."
>
> Look - I understand fair market value and the price that the market will
> bear, and all that. But this is thievery. Plain and simple.
>
> When the station pays a higher price for their product, I'll pay a higher
> price for what I buy. THAT is business 101.
>
> dwight

Actually, if you want gasoline, you'll pay whatever the stations charge.
THAT is reality 101.

Dave

Old September 2nd 05, 12:29 PM
Hank

> NEW YORK - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a
> gallon soon, but whether they stay there depends on the long-term
> damage to oil facilities from Hurricane Katrina, oil and gas analysts
> said Wednesday.
>
> "There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," Ben Brockwell, director
> of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said. "The question is
> how high will it go and how long will it last?"
>
> Is the modern muscle car era over, and is return of the Mustang II just
> around the corner?

It may be over for those who can't afford it, but high
powered vehicles will probably be around for quite a while.
What sucks about our high fuel prices is that we don't get
anything for the extra money we spend - it's just more profit
for the bu$h Oil Cartel....

-

Ever wonder who benefits from the 150 MILLION
U.S. taxpayer dollars spent each DAY in Iraq?
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?list=type&type=21

http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.truthout.org/
http://www.prohibitioncosts.org/
http://thirdworldtraveler.com/
http://counterpunch.org/
http://responsiblewealth.org/

"They are waging a campaign of murder and destruction. And
there is no limit to the innocent lives they are willing to
take... men with blind hatred and armed with lethal weapons
who are capable of any atrocity... they respect no laws of
warfare or morality."
-bu$h describing his own illegal invasion of Iraq.
http://www.robert-fisk.com/iraqwarvictims_mar2003.htm

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things
that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them. And then
he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did."
-- George W. Bush

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the
will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the
Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."
-- Adolf Hitler

or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

Don't let bu$h do to the United States what his very close
friend and top campaign contributor, Ken Lay, did to Enron...
Old September 2nd 05, 10:50 PM
Quiet Desperation

In article >, dwight
> wrote:

> I heard a station owner interviewed on the radio. When asked why she raised
> her price so much, she said, "Because everyone else did."

So one owner you heard on a radio is extrapolated into everyone. Great.
Old September 2nd 05, 10:51 PM
Quiet Desperation

In article >, Spike
> wrote:

> Until they get so light that a slight crosswind sends them
> airborne....

Flying cars! Brilliant!
Old September 2nd 05, 10:52 PM
Quiet Desperation

In article >, Garth Almgren
> wrote:

> You'd get excellent 60' times...

"Bye, honey. I'm going out to test the hybrid Mustang's 0 to 60 time.
I'll be back in a about six hours."
Old September 3rd 05, 01:17 AM
Ritz

Quiet Desperation wrote:
> In article >, dwight
> > wrote:
>

>>I heard a station owner interviewed on the radio. When asked why she raised
>>her price so much, she said, "Because everyone else did."

> So one owner you heard on a radio is extrapolated into everyone. Great.

I own a gas station. In general, I have tanks large enough so that I
get approximately one delivery of about 10,000 gallons a week. I got
gas yesterday. A week ago, I paid approximately $2.75 for regular.
That price is based on the "rack price" at the loading terminal. I pay
about 3 cents over rack. Some pay more, some pay less (depending on
volume). Today, I got a load of gas and MY cost off the tanker truck
was about $3.25. So that's a 50 cent change in just 7 days.

So all this talk about "price gouging" is a bit confusing. While I'm
sure there are people out there who are taking advantage of the
situation, most station owners are doing what I do...they take the price
of gas as it came off the truck, add their usual margin, and change
their prices. Gasoline is a commodity. You can't charge an arm and a
leg over the competition without going out of business. If there are
people taking advantage of this situation, I hope they are dealt with
harshly.

Cheers,
Old September 3rd 05, 04:13 AM
Hairy

"Ritz" > wrote in message
> Quiet Desperation wrote:
> > In article >, dwight
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I heard a station owner interviewed on the radio. When asked why she

raised
> >>her price so much, she said, "Because everyone else did."

> > So one owner you heard on a radio is extrapolated into everyone. Great.

> I own a gas station. In general, I have tanks large enough so that I
> get approximately one delivery of about 10,000 gallons a week. I got
> gas yesterday. A week ago, I paid approximately $2.75 for regular.
> That price is based on the "rack price" at the loading terminal. I pay
> about 3 cents over rack. Some pay more, some pay less (depending on
> volume). Today, I got a load of gas and MY cost off the tanker truck
> was about $3.25. So that's a 50 cent change in just 7 days.
>
> So all this talk about "price gouging" is a bit confusing. While I'm
> sure there are people out there who are taking advantage of the
> situation, most station owners are doing what I do...they take the price
> of gas as it came off the truck, add their usual margin, and change
> their prices.

Things are done considerably differently, around here (Iowa). We have 6
stations in this town of 15,000. When one changes it's price, they all
follow suit within about 3 hours. The price has nothing to do with the cost
when the tanks were filled, since the price changes sometimes 3 or 4 times a
day. The one's that I've asked said that they get a call from their
distributors, telling them what they have to charge.

Dave