Gasoline coming out hole in muffler

Old August 10th 05, 12:43 AM
drb

Default Gasoline coming out hole in muffler

I bought a 82 mazda rx7 that has been sitting for a couple years. Tried
to start it and gas came pouring out the hole in muffler. I did take
the plugs out and dried them off and put back in. IS the carb stuck and
running to rich?Any advice welcome.Thanks --

Old August 10th 05, 02:21 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article .com>,
"drb" > wrote:

> IS the carb stuck and
> running to rich?

Perhaps the carb float got a hole in it, filled with fuel, and can't
close the needle valve. Or a piece of crud is holding the needle valve
open. I'd start by opening the float bowl.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 11th 05, 12:29 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"drb" > wrote:

>I bought a 82 mazda rx7 that has been sitting for a couple years. Tried
>to start it and gas came pouring out the hole in muffler. I did take
>the plugs out and dried them off and put back in. IS the carb stuck and
>running to rich?Any advice welcome.Thanks --

You may also want to try rec.autos.rotary if Lanny's suggestion does not
work. I believe rotaries are somewhat strange in their fuel behavior.

Maybe that is why the car has been sitting for some years?

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old August 12th 05, 06:40 PM
Dale

NO for something like that it has to be something little like you said the
float or something is letting the gas poor in and has no were else but the
muffler
it has to be the float or the needle something to do with that carb is
stuck

if i was you I would take the carb off and take it apart and see what you
find blow it out with air and put it back together there can even be a
little something that is holding down the float

anyways let us know what happens

Top Tier Fuel Don Stauffer Technology 7 August 4th 05 05:19 AM
Muffler pipe ? ('97 Honda Civic DX) Osei Honda 1 June 20th 05 06:33 AM
Muffler finally installed azazel scratch VW air cooled 2 January 10th 05 12:55 AM
Dansk muffler owners Max Welton VW air cooled 3 January 6th 05 10:00 AM