Anyone know what this is?

Old February 26th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dale Beckett[_6_]

Default Anyone know what this is?

I'm told this is an '82 CJ. Can anyone tell me what this freedenoid is
next to the solenoid on the right fender? Any help appreciated.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8298/img1124z.jpg

--
Dale Beckett
Old February 27th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Dale Beckett wrote:
> I'm told this is an '82 CJ. Can anyone tell me what this freedenoid
> is next to the solenoid on the right fender? Any help appreciated.
>
> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8298/img1124z.jpg

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/81/81_FSJ_...agramPage1.jpg
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/83/83_FSJ_...ompartment.jpg

Ignition module?

--
DougW

Old February 27th 12, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dale Beckett[_6_]

DougW said:

> Dale Beckett wrote:
>> I'm told this is an '82 CJ. Can anyone tell me what this freedenoid is
>> next to the solenoid on the right fender? Any help appreciated.
>>
>> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8298/img1124z.jpg

> http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/81/81_FSJ_...agramPage1.jpg
> http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/83/83_FSJ_...ompartment.jpg
>
> Ignition module?

Hmm. I dunno. There are an awful lot of wires there, but the picture
isn't very good.

I suggested that he unplug it and see what stops working. That's what I
call hi-tech diagnostics.

--
Dale Beckett
Old February 27th 12, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Does it have a painless wiring kit installed, looks like my 70 amp maxi
fuse that came with kit.

Old February 27th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ[_2_]

On 2/26/2012 10:41 PM, Dale Beckett wrote:
> DougW said:
>
>> Dale Beckett wrote:
>>> I'm told this is an '82 CJ. Can anyone tell me what this freedenoid is
>>> next to the solenoid on the right fender? Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8298/img1124z.jpg

>> http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/81/81_FSJ_...agramPage1.jpg
>> http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/83/83_FSJ_...ompartment.jpg
>>
>> Ignition module?

> Hmm. I dunno. There are an awful lot of wires there, but the picture
> isn't very good.
>
> I suggested that he unplug it and see what stops working. That's what I
> call hi-tech diagnostics.

I vote with Doug: Ignition module. All the wires from the thing head
straight for the distributor. Unplug it and the engine will be dead as a
doornail.
Old February 27th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:25:44 +0000, Dale Beckett wrote:

> I'm told this is an '82 CJ. Can anyone tell me what this freedenoid is
> next to the solenoid on the right fender? Any help appreciated.
>
> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8298/img1124z.jpg

The ignition modules that I'm used to seeing in the circa 1980 CJ 258s is
the sandwich-sized Motorcraft unit on the left fender under the washer
bottle:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/d...ep/ign_mod.jpg

Here's a CJ-series wiring diagram:

<http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ges/cj-wiring-
diagram.gif>

I don't see the colored ribbon going into your mystery module. Could it
be a California vehicle? Some site say there were stepper-motor
controlled carbs as part of the CARB smog package in 1982, although those
sites put the EECU for that system up above the glove box.

Old February 27th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dale Beckett[_6_]

Greg said:

> Does it have a painless wiring kit installed, looks like my 70 amp maxi
> fuse that came with kit.

Truthfully, I don't know. This is someone else's rebuild project.

--
Dale Beckett
Old February 27th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dale Beckett[_6_]

Lee Ayrton said:

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:25:44 +0000, Dale Beckett wrote:
>
>> I'm told this is an '82 CJ. Can anyone tell me what this freedenoid is
>> next to the solenoid on the right fender? Any help appreciated.
>>
>> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8298/img1124z.jpg

> The ignition modules that I'm used to seeing in the circa 1980 CJ 258s
> is the sandwich-sized Motorcraft unit on the left fender under the
> washer bottle:
>
> http://webspace.webring.com/people/d...mages/my_jeep/

ign_mod.jpg

> Here's a CJ-series wiring diagram:
>
> <http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...cj7/images/cj-

wiring-
> diagram.gif>
>
> I don't see the colored ribbon going into your mystery module. Could it
> be a California vehicle? Some site say there were stepper-motor
> controlled carbs as part of the CARB smog package in 1982, although
> those sites put the EECU for that system up above the glove box.

Here's a better (closer) view of the same picture he sent to me. It
seems to me there are an awful lot of wires there for an ign module.
That radiator support couldn't be in a worse place in the picture. Those
wires go to a plug and then disappear into a wire loom.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9597/img1124anp.jpg

--
Dale Beckett
Old February 29th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Dale Beckett wrote:

> Here's a better (closer) view of the same picture he sent to me. It
> seems to me there are an awful lot of wires there for an ign module.
> That radiator support couldn't be in a worse place in the picture.
> Those wires go to a plug and then disappear into a wire loom.
>
> http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9597/img1124anp.jpg

Take a look at this again.
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/83/83_FSJ_...ompartment.jpg

Probably going to have to trace the wire from the starter solinoid
but even with color differences that look like what it is.
Also note in that drawing the IGN module is _in_ the engine compartment.

--
DougW

Old February 29th 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dale Beckett[_6_]

DougW said:

> Dale Beckett wrote:
>
>> Here's a better (closer) view of the same picture he sent to me. It
>> seems to me there are an awful lot of wires there for an ign module.
>> That radiator support couldn't be in a worse place in the picture.
>> Those wires go to a plug and then disappear into a wire loom.
>>
>> http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9597/img1124anp.jpg

> Take a look at this again.
> http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/83/83_FSJ_...ompartment.jpg
>
> Probably going to have to trace the wire from the starter solinoid but
> even with color differences that look like what it is.
> Also note in that drawing the IGN module is _in_ the engine compartment.

Okay, I'll pass that along and let him figure it out.

Thanks.

--
Dale Beckett