Yeah, yeah, I'm the Mustang guy... but elitist, too?

Old August 22nd 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Default Yeah, yeah, I'm the Mustang guy... but elitist, too?

On 8/22/2011 09:24, wrote:

> I understand the V and I balance thing. But my point is this: if you
> own a new V6 Mustang you no longer have to hang your head when talking
> with V8 Mustang owners because everyone realizes the new V6 Mustang
> performs. Much the same way new Mustang GT owners no longer have to
> hang their head when talking with owners of IRS-equipped sports/sporty
> cars [because everyone knows the Mustang's solid axle performs].
>
> Patrick

I like "Recent forced induction V6 engines have delivered
horsepower and torque output comparable to contemporary larger
displacement, naturally aspirated V8 engines"

Recent? Does "recent" include the 87 Buick?
Old August 23rd 11, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 22, 10:33*am, Brent > wrote:

> >> It's still a V6.

> >> A V6 is still not a natural arrangement for a four stroke engine.

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine
> >> "Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are
> >> inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle."

> > I understand the V and I balance thing. But my point is this: if you
> > own a new V6 Mustang you no longer have to hang your head when talking
> > with V8 Mustang owners because everyone realizes the new V6 Mustang
> > performs. *Much the same way new Mustang GT owners no longer have to
> > hang their head when talking with owners of IRS-equipped sports/sporty
> > cars [because everyone knows the Mustang's solid axle performs].

> I wasn't arguing that. It's an argument of feel/sound/etc, not hp or
> performance numbers.

Though I could argue with IRS vs solid axle there is some "feel"
involved, I get what you're saying. But I think what Dwight was
getting at was just the mention of a standard V6 as not being
interesting. I think that attitude expired in 2011. Prior to that
model year I too had a sense of disappointment when someone would tell
me they got a new Mustang, and then went on to say it was a V6. While
I admired their desire to drive something cool or share in the
heritage, the thought of a crude, truck-ish, motor under the hood made
me think, like Dwight, 'why bother'. But, for me, a 300+ horsepower
delivered by a free-revving motor changes that attitude, especially
when the package delivers 13 second time slips at over 100 mph --
numbers that embarrass the now-revered 1980's Buick V6 GNs/T-Types.

So Dwight hasn't warmed up to the idea of just getting a base
Mustang.
You want Ford to go further by offering a balanced I6.
And I'm in between with being happy the base V6 motor performs
astonishingly well.

Patrick

Old August 24th 11, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:20:22 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> wrote:

>On 2011-08-22, > wrote:

SNIP

>It's still a V6.
>
>>> In the
>>> US I6's were choked off and disregarded but in other parts of the world
>>> they were allowed to sing.

>> I think the Nissan GTR's 530HP V6 would disagree.

>A V6 is still not a natural arrangement for a four stroke engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

>"Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are
>inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle."

Yet they are gaining in popularity at drag races.
Old August 24th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:19:59 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Aug 22, 10:33*am, Brent > wrote:
>> On 2011-08-22, > wrote:

SNIP

>Though I could argue with IRS vs solid axle there is some "feel"
>involved, I get what you're saying. But I think what Dwight was
>getting at was just the mention of a standard V6 as not being
>interesting. I think that attitude expired in 2011. Prior to that
>model year I too had a sense of disappointment when someone would tell
>me they got a new Mustang, and then went on to say it was a V6. While
>I admired their desire to drive something cool or share in the
>heritage, the thought of a crude, truck-ish, motor under the hood made
>me think, like Dwight, 'why bother'. But, for me, a 300+ horsepower
>delivered by a free-revving motor changes that attitude, especially
>when the package delivers 13 second time slips at over 100 mph --
>numbers that embarrass the now-revered 1980's Buick V6 GNs/T-Types.
>
>So Dwight hasn't warmed up to the idea of just getting a base
>Mustang.
>You want Ford to go further by offering a balanced I6.
>And I'm in between with being happy the base V6 motor performs
>astonishingly well.
>
>Patrick

But, it's just so... so.... so.... un-American. LOL

V-6s are great in a modern model, but, it would be just so out of
place in my '65. I haven't looked at the numbers, but what is the hp
per pound between the V6 and V8s? And, while the gearing goes a long
way, which engine has to work harder to propel a Mustang down the
road? How much difference is there in response. With my V8, I hit the
gas and the car rockets ahead. Never a problem merging with traffic or
getting out of someone's way. Needless to say, I have never owned a V6
or a straight 6. I did have a 4 banger MG Midget once which was fun to
drive on the coast highway in Okinawa....
Old August 24th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-08-23, > wrote:
> You want Ford to go further by offering a balanced I6.

They already do, just not in the USA.

Yeah, but... XS11E[_1_] Mazda 2 August 8th 09 06:42 PM
Yeah right - Are we supposed to believe this? laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 12 November 18th 05 05:23 PM
Fresh pearl white, oh yeah. Chip VW air cooled 2 August 22nd 05 10:39 AM
Oh yeah...You have to see this video 2.3Sleeper Ford Mustang 1 April 2nd 05 02:50 AM